Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Odd Brake sound after new pads ( Rear )

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-05, 11:48 PM
LasVegasGS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd Brake sound after new pads ( Rear )

Well my rear pads got old so I went to a shop in order to get them chaged. I stoped by the dealer and picked up OEM pads. Now the old pads made some noise only during braking after the install I hear a Squiek only when I push the pedal down then it stops. It also makes a very slight squeking sound when the car is rolling at Idel without brakes.Sounds like it coming from only from the right rear. What can cause this to happen I talked to the shop they gave me the Bull **** run around it might go away in a week or two its been over 3 weeks. Any Idea's I'll fix it my self I just need to know what Im looking for.

Big thanks
Old 05-17-05, 11:53 AM
mtsao
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

There are usually two sources for brake noises/chatter that appear after pad change. The first is actual contact between the pad and the brake rotor/drum, even after the brake is no longer depressed. The second source is from the vibration of the pads.

If it's the first scenario, then it can be caused by improper lubrication of the caliper slides...there should be a u-shaped spring-type mechanism that keeps tension between the pads on either side of the rotor, and when the brake is no longer depressed, this tension should cause the pads to back off of the rotor. If the caliper slides are not lubricated and clean, this can impede the free movement of the pads and they may continue to contact the rotor.

From the factory, the Lexus should come with shims (fit kits) that should reduce/eliminate noise caused by brake pad vibration. Additionally, I always spray the shims and the backing of the brake pads with anti-squeal spray (under $5 in the automotive aisle of any K-Mart). It's possible that the shop did not use any anti-squeal coating or they may have discarded the old shims entirely when installing your new pads--the fit kit and brake pads are sold separately from the dealer.

It's unlikey the noise will stop on its own if it has not already. One thing you can try before you take the brake apart--when the car has not been driven for some hours and the brakes are cool, you can hose down the brake assembly with water and this may dislodge some debris that could cause noise...this may temporarily alleviate the problem, but it's not a permanent fix, and if the noise is caused by the first scenario ('sticking' brakes), then you should address it as you are not only wearing down your pad unevenly and prematurely, but the extra heat caused by the continuous friction can warp your rotor over time.

Good luck!