Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

I need new brake pads, suggestions? never changed brake pads before

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-09, 01:03 AM
danny10989
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need new brake pads, suggestions? never changed brake pads before

if anyone can help me, i just got my lexus 2gs not to long ago and ive been hearing screeching when i brake and overall the car doesnt seem to brake to well either. i need to pretty much slam on the brakes for it to brake effectively.

im pretty sure the car never got its brake pads changed before so if any one has any suggestions for pads for me? its a 2000 lexus gs300 and i would really want some nice pads but not too expensive either. and please no suggestions for whole brake kits like brembos or anything just a nice set of pads that will do the job.

my budget is around 200 dollars for front and back pads combined.

long story short, what does club lexus members use or suggest for good brake pads??

any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks!
Old 08-24-09, 08:59 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Chances are you don't need both front and rear brake pads (they generally don't fail at the same time)

You need to take the wheels off and slide out the calipers to see all the front and rear pads

If you have access to tools, I suggest you do this work with a friend yourself. 200 should get you pads but I don't think will cover the labor to put them in

Study up on brake pads and wear before you do anything else. Keeps you from being ripped off
Old 08-24-09, 11:28 PM
tonysgs300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by werewolf
Chances are you don't need both front and rear brake pads (they generally don't fail at the same time)

You need to take the wheels off and slide out the calipers to see all the front and rear pads

If you have access to tools, I suggest you do this work with a friend yourself. 200 should get you pads but I don't think will cover the labor to put them in

Study up on brake pads and wear before you do anything else. Keeps you from being ripped off
He's right but I noticed he didnt answer your question. No Offence werewolf.
So changing your pads isen't hard if you have all the right tools and some common sense of mechanics.

As far as pads. most guys on here are running axxis pads, hawk pads. I myself have the EBC greenstuff. To me the greenstuff or redstuff are the best pads on the market. (Greenstuff roughly $90 front set, redstuff $100)
My honest opinion would be if you want performance pads get the Redstuff or axxis pads should be right around $100 for the front sets, and if needed to could get Greenstuff pads for the rear. to be around your $200 mark. I'm not sure about the axxis pads or hawk but I personally know that the greenstuff and redstuff have Almost no brake dust. thats a huge plus for guys with nice rims.
GL BRO

Last edited by tonysgs300; 08-24-09 at 11:34 PM.
Old 08-25-09, 03:22 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Fair point tony

Not to throw a wrench but I also have the EBC green stuff front and rear and don't like 'em. They grip ok but there is a bit of the on and off feature (they're soft and then they bite)
Old 08-25-09, 05:54 PM
tonysgs300
Lead Lap

No I know what your talking about. But I guess it may come down to drivers cause I dont mind that on off feature. But I do know what your talking about. well danny10989 GL. let us know what you get
Old 08-25-09, 08:05 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

if you don't know if the brake fluid has been changed, get that flushed out as well.

If the fluid is no good, that can greatly affect the brake performance regardless of the pads you have.

BTW, new OEM pads(assuming rest of brake system is working properly) is no slouch itself.
Old 08-28-09, 07:21 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, check the classifieds for pads, as they have pretty good deals.

P.S. Check the DIY section for the How To on changing the brakes.
Old 09-05-09, 04:42 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by raytseng
BTW, new OEM pads(assuming rest of brake system is working properly) is no slouch itself.
I was thinking the same thing and they're not as expensive as some of the other pads.
Old 09-05-09, 08:52 AM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

I have had the EBC green, they were good and now am on Hawk HPS. These are awesome. No noise, low dust and a nice bite for street.

Last edited by GSJake; 09-05-09 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-05-09, 11:43 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just installed Project mu NS today and I'm loving them so far. I think it was under 100 for the fronts (I have Supra calipers).