Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

why do the rear brake pads of my GS always wear out twice as fast as the front pads?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-09, 06:57 PM
sarah

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default why do the rear brake pads of my GS always wear out twice as fast as the front pads?

why do the rear brake pads of my GS always wear out twice as fast as the front pads?

no, I do not drive it with the parking brake engaged... nor do I drive
backwards...

these are the regular Toyota pads from the dealer...

any guesses appreciated!
Old 03-13-09, 07:10 PM
burma
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i noticed too that when i clean my wheels, there always more brake dust on the rear wheels than the fronts. Probably cos the calipers are so small compared to the fronts and its a heavy car.
Old 03-13-09, 07:15 PM
whazzzzuup
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The reason why brake pads are smaller in the rear is because most of the car's weight is transferred to the front during the braking. Rear brake pads generally last (2 to 3 times) longer than the front pads. Maybe the calipers are seized.

Some brake pad compounds dust more than other types. For instance, stock OEM pads from BMW dust considerably more than stock OEM pads. Burma, you might have different brand pads in the fronts and rears.
Old 03-13-09, 07:26 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Remove the caliper from the bracket and inspect the rubber boot around the piston to make sure that it's not torn. Then wedge a piece of wood or something in the middle of the twin piston and have someone step on the brakes so that the piston clamp down. Inspect the piston travel and the rubber boot fully extended. If everything looks good, then reassemble and you're good to go. If the piston are seized, then you will need to rebuild them.
Old 03-13-09, 09:11 PM
blackANESE
Pole Position

I'm not too sure about this situation on Toyota/Lexus but I know on VW's the rear pads start 2mm less than the fronts. Also on VW's the rear caliper clamps first. Maybe something similar?

Any Lexus techs in here that could maybe shed a little light on why this is happening? I also had to replace the rear pads before the fronts on my GS
Old 03-13-09, 10:27 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by whazzzzuup
The reason why brake pads are smaller in the rear is because most of the car's weight is transferred to the front during the braking. Rear brake pads generally last (2 to 3 times) longer than the front pads. Maybe the calipers are seized.

Some brake pad compounds dust more than other types. For instance, stock OEM pads from BMW dust considerably more than stock OEM pads. Burma, you might have different brand pads in the fronts and rears.
I agree. Nicely said.
Old 03-13-09, 10:33 PM
jspecdan
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by whazzzzuup

for sheezee man. EU pads are actually designed for high coefficient of friction by sacrificing pad life, noise and dust. that's why you'll commonly see bmdubs and benzos with wheels covered in black dust.

Japanland is marketed towards no noise, long pad life and little dust. the US market is moving toward the Japanese market trend.

are you SURE they're OEM pads? just because you bought and had pads installed from the dealer doesn't mean they necessarily put OEM pads on. did they ask you if you wanted OEM or less expensive aftermarket pads made for Toyota/Lexus?
Old 03-13-09, 10:35 PM
jspecdan
Lexus Test Driver

and this should be in the suspension & brakes section.
Old 03-14-09, 01:19 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sarah
Hmmm Rear pads wearing first doesn't sound right to me.

no, I do not drive it with the parking brake engaged...
Actually the parking brake does not use the rear brake caliper pads, so that would not be it. There is another set of pads inside the drum that is dedicated for parking only.

nor do I drive
backwards...
I'll buy that, BUT do you use your left foot to brake and right foot for gas?

Last edited by RMMGS4; 03-14-09 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-14-09, 05:44 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
I'll buy that, BUT do you use your left foot to brake and right foot for gas?
+1 on this queston... do you drive with both feet (or does anyone else who drives the car)?
Old 03-14-09, 08:27 AM
Tangerine
Driver

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
That is not normal. Something is wrong. Either mechanical or user error.
Same occurrence happens to the 6th gen Camry, the rear wears out twice as fast. I'm guessing it is the braking proportionate is more bias towards the rear.
Old 03-14-09, 05:35 PM
Rick James
Driver

Frozen\seized rear calipers...that's my guess.
Old 03-14-09, 06:32 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick James
Frozen\seized rear calipers...that's my guess.
If you lifted the rear off the ground do you get resistance when you spin the wheels?

But do you drive aggressively often? Maybe the VSC is kicking in alot on your rear brakes