Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

!!! Transmission Fluid Question !!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-05, 10:34 AM
DJKLEX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default !!! Transmission Fluid Question !!!

I bought my 99 GS300 when it had 20K miles and now I have 78K miles. I never changed the transmission fluid in my car . I checked and now it's black. The reason is that, everyone told me to wait until I change the timing belt at 80K miles.

What should I do?

Drain and put new fluid or 100% flush?
Old 05-09-05, 11:05 AM
ssultan
Pole Position

Somebody actually told you to wait till you changed your timing belt/water pump to do a transmission fluid change????!!!!! I just hope to god it isn't your regular mechanic...

Perhaps it's time to take a 'swing' at whoever gave you that advice. I would do a transmission fluid change ASAP...hopefully no serious damage has been done yet. I'm sure the more experience members will be able to provide you with more information regarding possible problems in your case.
Old 05-09-05, 01:28 PM
Luxury Motorworks
Driver

That was bad advise some one gave you. If you are not experiencing any transmission slipping or check engine light you are probably ok. Your transmission uses TIV transmission fluid it will last a long time but, like any fluid it will get contaminated over time. The most important thing at this point is to completely flush the old fluid out. Don't just do a drain and refill that only replaces 2 quarts of the fluid. Be careful who you get to do the flush. Make sure they use the proper transmission fliud. (TIV) After you do the flush add some BG ATC+ automatic transmission conditioner. The stuff is amazing and will help with any burnt or acidity fluid. If you need help getting the additive let me know and I can get you some. Don't wory you'll be ok.
Old 05-09-05, 05:28 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

or you can do a drain and refill 3 times within 500 miles.

Its actually very easy to do, takes about 15mins at home. Just make sure you get the Toyota T-IV Fluid from your local Toyota dealership (cheaper the Lexus dealership).
Old 05-10-05, 10:24 AM
DJKLEX
Rookie

Originally Posted by Luxury Motorworks
That was bad advise some one gave you. If you are not experiencing any transmission slipping or check engine light you are probably ok. Your transmission uses TIV transmission fluid it will last a long time but, like any fluid it will get contaminated over time. The most important thing at this point is to completely flush the old fluid out. Don't just do a drain and refill that only replaces 2 quarts of the fluid. Be careful who you get to do the flush. Make sure they use the proper transmission fliud. (TIV) After you do the flush add some BG ATC+ automatic transmission conditioner. The stuff is amazing and will help with any burnt or acidity fluid. If you need help getting the additive let me know and I can get you some. Don't wory you'll be ok.
THanks
My AT still runs OK and check engine light never came on. How do I completely flush the AT and how much of thefluid do I need.
Old 05-10-05, 02:10 PM
BruteSBC
Driver School Candidate

just drain it and put new fluid in it. thats it. dont take the pan down. 4 quarts of ATF. it will be fine.
Old 05-10-05, 03:30 PM
Luxury Motorworks
Driver

The easiest thing to do is find a reputable place with a transmission flush machine. They work really nice. Have them replace all your old fluid with new TIV. You do not have to pull the pan down. You can also remove the transmission cooler line that goes to the radiator. Put the cooler line in a pan. The best thing to do would be to find a "T" fiting with a valve between the radiator and the cooler drain hose so you can open and close the valve as you wish. Put a funnel in where the transmission dipstick goes. Start the engine and the transmission pump will pump the old fluid into the pan. (be careful for it will make a mess from the pressure). While the old fluid is coming out you fill the funnel with new fluid. It is best to use two people so you can monitor the fluid coming out while you are putting new fluid in. After you use about 8 quarts the transmission fluid should start to look a little better. Add the BG ATC+ and you should be fine. Then I recommend doing a drain and refill every 15,000 miles so you will not have to deal with this again.
(food for thought) Statistically it costs 3.3 times more money to fix your car than it does to maintain it.
Old 05-10-05, 07:59 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Luxury Motorworks

(food for thought) Statistically it costs 3.3 times more money to fix your car than it does to maintain it.
lol that is too true

well said
Old 05-11-05, 05:14 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by DJKLEX
I bought my 99 GS300 when it had 20K miles and now I have 78K miles. I never changed the transmission fluid in my car . I checked and now it's black. The reason is that, everyone told me to wait until I change the timing belt at 80K miles.

What should I do?

Drain and put new fluid or 100% flush?
I'd do a 100% flush personally........consider using Amsoil synthetic ATF (compatable with both Dexron III & Toyota type IV). Hopefully there is no serious damage to the tranny. Clean the filter mesh screen & install a new tranny pan gasket also as a preventitive measure.

You need to take it to a place that has the tranny flushing machine. I suggest the 100% change now, and just a drain & fill every 2 years or 30k miles thereafter.
Old 05-14-05, 10:48 AM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

how much is the additive? i always have a hard time reading the dip stick. whats the best way?
Old 05-14-05, 01:10 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by ILOVEGIRLS
how much is the additive? i always have a hard time reading the dip stick. whats the best way?
How much is what additive? I wouldn't suggest adding any kind of additive to the tranny, just fresh fluid.
Old 05-16-05, 10:03 AM
Luxury Motorworks
Driver

The additive is $12.00.
Start your engine and let it warm up. Run it through all the gears and drive the car if you feel you have close to the right amount of fluid. The dipstick is kinda hard to read. Leave the car running in park on a flat surface. Pull the dipstick out, wipe it off, and stick it all the way in again. When you pull it back out lay it on it's side so the fluid will not run up or down on the dipstick. If it is hard to read place white paper under the dipstick and you should be able to see where the fluid is on the dipstick much easier.
Old 05-17-05, 12:16 PM
ted920
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you think I can take my Lexus GS 3 to a Toyota dealership for them to do the Tranny Fluid Flush?

My GS has 43,000 miles and still has original tranny fluid.

Btw, how much do you think it;'' cost for a complete tranny fluid flush with the Toyota Type IV fluid?

Thanks,

Ted
Old 05-17-05, 12:38 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
I'd do a 100% flush personally........consider using Amsoil synthetic ATF (compatable with both Dexron III & Toyota type IV). Hopefully there is no serious damage to the tranny. Clean the filter mesh screen & install a new tranny pan gasket also as a preventitive measure.

You need to take it to a place that has the tranny flushing machine. I suggest the 100% change now, and just a drain & fill every 2 years or 30k miles thereafter.

when you say clean the filter mesh screen ..what are you exactly doing

and where are you getting a tranny gasket from

ive had my pan down ..there is no gasket .....i kick my self for not taking pics
Old 05-17-05, 02:39 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

yup, they use that sealer stuff... no gasket anymore.

Quick Reply: !!! Transmission Fluid Question !!!