Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Anyone try Valvoline SynPower fully synthetic oil?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-05, 07:27 AM
mburnickas
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
And who said you have to wait till your first oil change to use Synthetic? Some cars come from the Factory with Mobil 1. These myths were long disputed.
I agree 100%. I have posted time and time again that I change to synthetic right when I pull into the driveway. I will take a higher NOACK level for a little extra time vs more wear. Been doing this since 1994 and works fine so far.
Old 03-10-05, 08:44 AM
saber
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
And who said you have to wait till your first oil change to use Synthetic? Some cars come from the Factory with Mobil 1. These myths were long disputed.
http://www.saber.net/~monarch/faq.jpg

1. Toyota says you should wait till your first oil change to use Synthetic
2. Toyota also says its risky to extend oil change intervals when using any synthetic
3. Toyota also says its risky to switch back and forth between synthetic and natural petroleum oil.
4. Toyota also says the engine wear benefits of synthetic are marginal at best.

The 16-35 year olds here disregard what Toyota says These 16-35 year olds actually think the same Toyota engineers that build the most reliable and durable car engines in the world could be dumb and uneducated when it comes to motor oil .
Old 03-10-05, 09:10 AM
mburnickas
Pole Position

Mods: Please close this thread since we have gotten so low to post photcroppped images and taking as bible what is only recommended. Also nothing (data) to back it up. you can see where it is going to go.

SABER : you are posting on items you have zero clue on. Again, post something you understand since you trust Toyoya WAY to much. More then ever their own dealers!

Also the age discrimination is flat out comical at best. Good way to get "added value".

Not going to even post anything more since this topic is as informative as watching grass grow. Same old issues with same old outdated information to back it up.

Last edited by mburnickas; 03-10-05 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-10-05, 09:27 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by saber
http://www.saber.net/~monarch/faq.jpg

4. Toyota also says the engine wear benefits of synthetic are marginal at best.

The 16-35 year olds here disregard what Toyota says These 16-35 year olds actually think the same Toyota engineers that build the most reliable and durable car engines in the world could be dumb and uneducated when it comes to motor oil .
Nobody said the Toyota engineers are "dumb". How many Toyota engineers make engine oil? Answer is none.

Synthetics are "marginal at best"......sounds like there is a difference then.....in favour of synthetics.......however "marginal" that may be.

First you mentioned 16 - 30 year olds......now it bumped up to 35 year olds.

I have a "loaded" question.......how many have experenced engine gelling or engine failure using synthetics instead of dino oil? (that would include using extended drain intervals with synthetics). I'd be willing to bet that even if there are some........the failure or gelling rate would be overwelming on the dino oil side of things. Perhaps a poll should be taken & let's see what the results are. A possible way to put this matter to rest.

The synthetic users are simply asking for "hard data" & actual proof (scientific or otherwise....in writing) to what your claiming.......mburn, a synthetic user has provided proof (and very detailed). Your disputing things with words only......no hard data or proof......mentioning a "Toyota engineer's" recommendations (basicly saying "because Toyota said so") is not proof......it's hearsay. Provide actual facts on the matter or frankly, your discredited in your arguement.

Last edited by Lexusfreak; 03-10-05 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-10-05, 09:59 AM
mburnickas
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
Nobody said the Toyota engineers are "dumb". How many Toyota engineers make engine oil? Answer is none.

Synthetics are "marginal at best"......sounds like there is a difference then.....in favour of synthetics.......however "marginal" that may be.

First you mentioned 16 - 30 year olds......now it bumped up to 35 year olds.

I have a "loaded" question.......how many have experenced engine gelling or engine failure using synthetics instead of dino oil? (that would include using extended drain intervals with synthetics). I'd be willing to bet that even if there are some........the failure or gelling rate would be overwelming on the dino oil side of things. Perhaps a poll should be taken & let's see what the results are. A possible way to put this matter to rest.
It sounds and reads in all the manuals, is the engineers know how the “world works”. They are playing on the side of error and they know most people will not read there book. Not saying the public is dumb, but they [lexus/Toyota] are protecting themselves, not us.

Age is again, stupid to even bring up. It shows, if anything that people need to pray on this but the real topic at hand.

Next I will say this, I know some engineers that were GM engineers and lets say this, they can’t keep up with aerospace people.

I can’t answer marginal since I do not know how it is defined and how it is to be used. Next is the problem that a group 3 oil CAN be called a synthetic. It will NOT hold up very long for extended drains.

The next problem is that people say, synthetic I can go longer, wrong. You need a real oil to go longer and a group 3 is not going to have a long lasting base oil and add pkg.

If you have a sludge engine using a good group 4 or 5 will be the best you can get. Longer drains will be judged by the oil test. It will last longer that is guaranteed, but I would like to know my oxd, nox and TBN levels. That is the true test to see if the oil is braking do at an exponential rate or at a log rate. So far my sludge engine is doing just fine with my extended drains and there is not any risk involved. The tests number show it is fine.