Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

synthetic and normal oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-09, 09:42 PM
horent135
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default synthetic and normal oil

Is it true that going synthetic oil to normal oil is bad for the engine because the engine is used to synthetic oil? Currently I'm using normal oil well, the high mileage oil. I never used synthetic oil in my life and I wanna see the difference in it. People say it alot better, but I don't have the money to do synthetic every month, yes i put crazy miles in my car. I like to change it up once in a while from going synthetic and back to normal oil. What your guys think?
Old 04-20-09, 11:23 PM
ww50th
Driver School Candidate

I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I only put 4500 to 5000 miles per year on my car. This makes synthetic oil for me a real plus as I change it once every year. From my experience, if you go from regular oil to synthetic oil or vice versa and continue with the final product, you will not encounter any problems with compatability. I am not sure that there is any logic of switching back and forth with oil types.
Old 04-21-09, 12:23 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I have spoken to every petroleum company there over the years. Nope. Will not damage your drive train from going from one to other. Of course synthetics do have advantages. I have seen countless people buy one quart of synthetic and 5 qts of the house brand oil. Go figure.
Old 04-21-09, 08:39 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

as far as anything actually working any better, or noticing a difference with synthetics, well, anyone that says that is full of crap...

it's the placebo effect... it's all in your head...

countless tests have been done, and I think it was Royal Purple that claimed a 3 hp increase...woo-hoo, 3 hp... did you know that a 1-2 degree temperature difference at the intake can account for a 3 hp increase or loss... humidity and barometric pressure can do the same... so can a closed hood vs open hood on the dyno... I've seen back to back dyno tests with no changes between that had 5 hp gains for no apparent reason at all...
Old 04-21-09, 08:52 AM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Switching back and forth has no effect. But if you were to switch it I would stay synthetic from then on.

Mobil 1 has a synthetic now that can run up to 15K miles. I would however recommend on just changing the oil filter in between the 15K miles.
Old 04-21-09, 09:58 AM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ww50th
I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I only put 4500 to 5000 miles per year on my car. This makes synthetic oil for me a real plus as I change it once every year. From my experience, if you go from regular oil to synthetic oil or vice versa and continue with the final product, you will not encounter any problems with compatability. I am not sure that there is any logic of switching back and forth with oil types.
My opinion is you got this switched around in terms of being thrify. You should be going conventional, since at the end of the year, 4-5k miles on conventional will still be pretty much good (not worn out as will the synthetic).

The high-miler is the one who would benefit more from using synthetic, since he can extend his oil change interval and do fewer oil changes over a particular period of time.

Does it matter? since it's only a ~$10-$20 difference once a year? Probably not too much.

Anyhoo, go to bobistheoilguy for all your heated oil-related discussions.
Old 04-21-09, 11:33 AM
horent135
Lexus Champion

thanks guys, then i will go back and forth on the oil changes.
Old 04-21-09, 01:23 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by horent135
Is it true that going synthetic oil to normal oil is bad for the engine because the engine is used to synthetic oil? Currently I'm using normal oil well, the high mileage oil. I never used synthetic oil in my life and I wanna see the difference in it. People say it alot better, but I don't have the money to do synthetic every month, yes i put crazy miles in my car. I like to change it up once in a while from going synthetic and back to normal oil. What your guys think?
Going from conventional oil to synthetic oil is completely fine. But you have to stick with synthetic from now on. That's all.
Old 04-23-09, 10:57 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

anyone try the new Castrol Edge syn oil? supposibly its better then MOBIL 1!!

i dont wanna be the test subject tho..
Old 04-24-09, 12:06 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Going from conventional oil to synthetic oil is completely fine. But you have to stick with synthetic from now on. That's all.
That's incorrect...

there is no reason why you can't go from one to the other and back as often as you like...
Old 05-06-09, 02:53 PM
Rezaxxed
Pole Position

Can anybody confirm this. I've been thinking about switching from Mobil 1 synthetic to plain old Castrol GTX motor oil. But I've been hearing a lot of opinions about switching from synthetic to regular.
Old 05-06-09, 03:27 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Your engine just want proper lubrication... it doesn't care what you put into it. Your gasket may care though. Just make sure it has suitable viscosity. Take a look at a few property of each oil. Check out the synthetic and regular oil. It's all published.
Old 05-06-09, 10:49 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

just do it n dont look back =p..

im on Royal Purple now.. gunna switch to Mobil 1 since its cheaper.. n after that imma check out that new Castrol Edge oil..
Old 05-10-09, 09:54 AM
Rezaxxed
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sam430
Your engine just want proper lubrication... it doesn't care what you put into it. Your gasket may care though. Just make sure it has suitable viscosity. Take a look at a few property of each oil. Check out the synthetic and regular oil. It's all published.

Got it. So I can very well switch from a regular 5W 30 Castrol oil and it will not hurt my engine at all? Not sure if the viscosity of both Mobil 1 synthetic and regular Castrol is the same
Old 05-12-09, 05:07 PM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Rezaxxed, yupe it won't be a problem. I did switch back and forth couple times to see any differences....turned out, not at all.

Just stay w/ synthetic though, if you planning to keep the car for a long time.

Quick Reply: synthetic and normal oil