Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Does supercharging have any adverse affects?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-01, 10:39 PM
Francis K
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Well I finally found a supercharger. It's a TRD but the guy only wants $745 for it! But there are a few thing I would like to know first and I was hoping you guys could help me out. Thanks!

-Does supercharging have any adverse affects, keeping in mind I want my car to go the distance and last?

-Is there any component that I need?

-What questions should i have answered before I buy it?

-Or anything else you guys think would be helpful!

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-21-01, 10:00 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Driving Style?

Francis - Alot of the longevity questions can be answered by your driving style. Of course, if U R getting a S/C, then surely U plan on putting your foot in it occasionally!! If U don't floor it all the time & maintain it meticulously ( synthetic oil & timely tuneups ), I don't see a problem. Corky Bell ( Mazda/Honda turbocharging guru ) did my RX-7 years ago & he used 90% his rule of thumb for engine life. I.E., if the engine should last 100k miles w/o forced induction, then for people ( like me! ) who ran their cars hard, 90k was to be expected. This is NOT a hard & fast rule & I didn't keep the RX long enough to verify those numbers - it was removed from my possession by some low-life!! As far as the one U're getting, is it a full kit ( complete with hoses, brackets, etc? ). Does it come with an intercooler? To sum things up: anytime U add something to an engine that increases cylinder pressure ( S/C; T/C or nitrous ), U R putting additional stress on the motor. Like most things in like, it can handle slight increases ( up to 50%, IMO ) & live a long /healthy life without internal changes like pistons, rods, et al. Just keep up with your maintenance & gas quality & I'd think U'll be OK.
Old 04-24-01, 03:34 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

the supercharger that is made for your lex is also a standerd option in japan for the top of the line land cruisers so it shouldn't affect your engine that bad and it will give you a nice amount of power but just make sure you get the whole kit 750 kinda sounds low for a supercharger ask if its used and if there are any parts missing
Old 04-24-01, 06:46 PM
Francis K
Racer

Default THANKS BIGGIE!

I appreciate the help and yes it is used, he said he used it for a year. I'm having trouble getting a hold of the guy so I can't ask him right now, what would usually come with it?
Old 04-24-01, 07:27 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

I'm not exactly sure what comes with it you should contact TRD and ask them about that since superchargers differ in sizes they might need some more applications than others but TRD should answer your questions
Old 05-07-01, 05:12 PM
BBD
....BANNED! :-)

Ohh yaa you need to ask about supachargers ,, the PSI load ,, and if it would come with an Intercooler or not ,, and would the piping actuly FIT your manifolds,, can you make the piping to fit all the way threw to the intake ,,, One thing about suprercharging ,, it works on a Belt so it takes some power away from your Vehicel unlike a Turbo..

Superchargers also work from standstill, and their powerband is spread out threw all the power range gradualy decreasing at top end speed.

Superchargers also come AS IS u can not control the boosts pressure, digitaly you have to use a bigger valve or just throw it away and buy a bigger compressor for it.

Turbos work almost the same way but you have more control over the settings however, the turbos have something called LAG which is the time it takes the turbins to actuly spin which results in loss of power..,, and they dont work from Stand still (unless you REALLY want to has its own problems) and they work better at top end rpm...

Either way people have choices Turbos, or Superchargers all come down to trast budget and the main thing is wouls it FIT,