Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

sc300 starter problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-04, 12:20 PM
scna-t
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sc300 starter problems

my sc300 is having starting problems. my sister drove it one day, and the car died out on her. It was really the gas that was empty, but she had no idea of the problem. She just kept starting it and starting it, but it wouldn't fire up of course. After several rediculous long cranks of the starter, it started to skip. What I mean by skip is that sometimes the first or second start only produces a click noise. Then another start it would start up again. Eventually, it began to get worse and worse to the point where it would take several skipping clicks before it'll fire up. Don't get me wrong, but the click noise does not sound anything like the spinning of the starter. It's a simple click noise, and the sound appears right behind the battery. Now since last week, my car's been unable to start up at all. It'll just keep clicking and clicking each time I turn the key, but no fire up. That's how worse it got. Can this be my starter, or can this be due to another mechanical disfunction? This problem was 100% due to the fact my sister was cranking it continuously. Please help me.
Old 07-20-04, 06:01 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Either the starter contacts (easy fix...after you pull the starter), or most likely its the starter solenoid which your sister prolly burned out during those long cranks

Either way, pull the starter and inspect the contacts. Also, I would order a new solenoid from Autozone for $20
Old 07-20-04, 07:34 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ahah, signed back on with a new name after being banned.
Old 07-20-04, 10:56 PM
scna-t
Driver School Candidate

Default Solenoid?

Originally posted by /Aerostar\
Either the starter contacts (easy fix...after you pull the starter), or most likely its the starter solenoid which your sister prolly burned out during those long cranks

Either way, pull the starter and inspect the contacts. Also, I would order a new solenoid from Autozone for $20
What exactly does a solenoid do, and how hard is it to replace it? I could understand the starter solenoid being burned out due to the continous cranking, but there is that click noise nearby the intake manifold everytime I turn the key. If replacing the solenoid 20 bucks, why do people even replace the entire starter? When does the actual starter break down? I really need help with this replacment issue. I do not intend on removing any parts from under the hood. I will only try to remove the starter from under the car. How difficult is this procedure?
Old 07-21-04, 03:05 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Default Re: Solenoid?

Originally posted by scna-t
I will only try to remove the starter from under the car. How difficult is this procedure?
With or without air tools? If using air tools, a wobble extension, and a think a 6" extension...its not too bad at all. But if doing this by hand, the upper bolt on the starter (connecting it to the engine) will be incredibly hard to remove. But once the starter is out, it is very easy from there. What does a solenoid do exactly? Im not sure, but the starter will be composed of 2 cylindrical thing, the smaller one being the solenoid. The reason people replace an entire starter would most likely be: 1.) Not having to disassemble their starter, 2.) The burshes/contacts/other parts of the actual starter motor may be worn, so why not replace those while thye are at it.

If I were you, I would find some air tools, buy the solenoid, drop the starter and go from there. Also, make sure to inspect those contacts while you are it

Good luck....and what did you get banned for...?
Old 07-21-04, 06:08 PM
scna-t
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Re: Solenoid?

Originally posted by /Aerostar\
With or without air tools? If using air tools, a wobble extension, and a think a 6" extension...its not too bad at all. But if doing this by hand, the upper bolt on the starter (connecting it to the engine) will be incredibly hard to remove. But once the starter is out, it is very easy from there. What does a solenoid do exactly? Im not sure, but the starter will be composed of 2 cylindrical thing, the smaller one being the solenoid. The reason people replace an entire starter would most likely be: 1.) Not having to disassemble their starter, 2.) The burshes/contacts/other parts of the actual starter motor may be worn, so why not replace those while thye are at it.

If I were you, I would find some air tools, buy the solenoid, drop the starter and go from there. Also, make sure to inspect those contacts while you are it

Good luck....and what did you get banned for...?
I really appreciate your detailed help on this matter. I was really hoping it'll be something obviously there, and simple to remove and replace. The solenoid from autozone is priced $20.00, but can that be what I need? Is that a starter solenoid we're talking about? I checked with Kragen autoparts, and they said the starter solenoid is actually more expensive than the remanfactured complete starter. So what's going on with that? Also, how reliable is it just to replace the solenoid with the vehicle at 100k+ miles? When you talk about starter solenoid, are you talking about the smaller unit hanging on the starter itself, and with 2 long bolts holding it intack to the larger unit? If I buy a brand new remanufactured starter, is the solenoid attached to the starter? Lastly, you said the upper bolt is incredibly hard to remove? Well, what are we talking about here? Is it difficult to squeeze a hand socket wrench there to loosen the bolt, or do you mean it's extremely the bolt is extremely locked tight?
Old 07-21-04, 06:38 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Alright, lemme try to answer those questions. A remanufactured starter WILL include a new solenoid and all the stuff you need. As for the price of the solenoid, thats kinda wierd. Cause I ordered a solenoid from autozone for $21.xx, but I honestly do not know what that included because I fixed what was wrong before the solenoid arrived, so I never even saw what I ordered, I just returned it immediately. You should be able to order just the solenoid. But remeber, your problem may also be the contacts...

As for removing the starter, the upper bolt is VERY VERY hard to reach, and once you get a socket on the bolt, you have very little room to turn the wrench/socket wrench. And I believe its torqued to 31 lb/ft, which isnt TOO tight, but considering how little room you have, its very hard