Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Battery related questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-04, 10:26 PM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery related questions

How long should we expect our factory batteries to last?

I was a little distressed today to find out that my battery was dead with only having the car since December of 2002 and with about 25.5K miles. My car is a 2003 model.

I don't have any add-ons to my car that would contribute to expedited draining. I still have the stock audio system and no other auxiliary things except for a wideband system, E-Manage, other fuel and piggy-back systems, and aftermarket alarm. All of those things are powered down when the car is off (except the alarm of course).

I've heard that Toyota/Lexus batteries sometimes have very poor lifespan, like 2 years or less. I'm wondering how soon many of you had to change your battery.

I'll probably be putting an Optima battery tomorrow.
Old 07-08-04, 10:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

you forgot some lights or so?

the battery on my gs4 has been there since day 1, that means a good 6 1/2 yr now and still running no problem
Old 07-08-04, 10:41 PM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

Nope, everything was turned off. The lights on the car will automatically turn off after 30 seconds or so. I've been having difficulty starting the car the past week or so though. I guess the battery's just been slowly dying.

Oh well, at least I can now get a nice Optima battery. Would you guys recommend a red-top or yellow-top? I was told Optimas are universal batteries so either one should fit.
Old 07-09-04, 06:06 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Get a red top. Regular duty.
Old 07-09-04, 10:03 AM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

Thanks. However, I may add some I.C.E. to the car later on, so would it make sense for me to just get a yellow-top now?

I'm just asking based on the info on their website:
Red-top = http://www.optimabatteries.com/using...cationsRed.asp
Yellow-top = http://www.optimabatteries.com/using...ionsYellow.asp
Old 07-09-04, 02:45 PM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

So I ended up getting an Optima yellow-top battery. I figured it'd be better than the red-top in the long run, in case I do add more electronics to my car.

Also, since these batteries are shorter than stock and the terminal locations are different than stock, it wasn't a directly replacement. However, I got some 10" battery cable extensions, cut the plastic battery cover shorter, and got everything connected.
Old 07-11-04, 06:13 PM
1NewLexIS300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by bchau_gt
So I ended up getting an Optima yellow-top battery. I figured it'd be better than the red-top in the long run, in case I do add more electronics to my car.

Also, since these batteries are shorter than stock and the terminal locations are different than stock, it wasn't a directly replacement. However, I got some 10" battery cable extensions, cut the plastic battery cover shorter, and got everything connected.
can you show us a pic?? i'm planning to buy a yellow optima battery as well........how much you get yours for?
Old 07-11-04, 07:10 PM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

Originally posted by 1NewLexIS300
can you show us a pic?? i'm planning to buy a yellow optima battery as well........how much you get yours for?
I bought mine from Exact Motorsports for $165 + $40 for install. I little expensive, but I needed a battery immediately and John at Exact helped me jumpstart the car the day before.

The pics are below. The black plastic box around the battery was the piece that was cut shorter, but you can't tell. John also used a temporary round piece of rubber to help secure the battery. I should probably eventually get a piece of wood to put on top of the battery and underneath the cross brace.

Old 07-11-04, 07:20 PM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

Also, Ltunedgirl on is300.net has a yellow-top battery, but it seems she was able to pull the stock battery terminal cables enough to not require the extensions I got. Here's some pics of her sweet car:

I just have a bunch of wiring harness run along with the battery cable and everything is zip-tied together. So I didn't have enough slack to stretch the battery cables to the yellow-top terminals.

Last edited by bchau_gt; 07-11-04 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-11-04, 10:47 PM
1NewLexIS300
Lexus Test Driver

thanks for the info and pics........
Old 07-11-04, 11:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

very nice man
Old 07-12-04, 12:29 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Looks great! You need to remove that damn handle strap and hide it in the trunk just in case u need to take it out later.
Old 07-12-04, 03:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Lightbulb

Your headlights and taillights may be shutting off properly after 20-30 seconds, but see if the trunk and glove box lights do also. Those little switches that cut the bulbs off when the glove box and trunk lids are closed sometimes fail. When they do, it can be difficult so spot...the bulb, of course, keeps burning inside, where you can't see it, and it is a slow but steady battery drain. I have seen this happen a number of times...especially on Chrysler products.

You obviously spent good money for this new battery, and if those switches are bad, it will just run down again.
Old 07-12-04, 05:15 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

I LOVE yellow tops, but if anyone ever get's a chance to check out the U.S. Amps batteries, do it

2000 amp capable bursts
Old 07-12-04, 10:15 AM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

Originally posted by flipside909
Looks great! You need to remove that damn handle strap and hide it in the trunk just in case u need to take it out later.
Ya, I should do that. Didn't even think about that actually, good suggestion. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Battery related questions