Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

PS pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-04, 10:35 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default order in the court!!

Gents gents gents, Let's remember why we're here, or why we SHOULD be here, to HELP each other. (Should I say that again for those that may have missed it?)...TO HELP EACH OTHER. If you're not here to help and just want to jerk people around with nonsensical posts then perhaps this is not the forum for you. I am not speaking to anyone specifically but everyone directly. Please keep it civil. Big Brother is watching us

HotBoy, let us know how you make out with the PS flush. Information I've gathered says that you should check your high pressure line on the PS pump as this is the most common failure point where a leak occurs. Then check the rubber seals on the pump, the pump needs to be removed for this. Finally, check the fluid reservoir tank, there's an "o" ring under the tank that fails due to engine heat. If the pressure tube is okay you should be able to get away with buying the rebuild kit from Carson Toyota Then your only issue is finding someone to rebuild it, as I understand this is not something you want to attempt without prior experience.

Last edited by mikeloc24; 05-26-04 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-26-04, 10:54 AM
HotBoy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks man I think I will try replacing the valve that CUman was talking about as when I startthe car first thing in the morning I do get a puff of white smoke. This is a very helpfull forum and has saved me lots of time and headaches which is why I ask these questions and 99.9% of the time I get good answers and I did this time too there was just some unnecessary stuff thrown in the middle, point taken though and thanks to everyone that did help.
Oh also the pump was a new unit put in when I bought the car only about a year ago so if it is bad then I will take it back to the dealer that sold it to me as they are pretty reasonable guys.

Last edited by HotBoy; 05-26-04 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05-26-04, 11:28 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

That's cool, I just wanted to speak out before things got too off topic and people began to insult each other. Internet trash talking is only fun to me if I personally know the other guy, otherwise it's a waste of time. We need to hook up one of these days when I have time to drive down, the firm I'm with just aquired a new office in Rancho Santa Fe and I've been instructed to make an appearance down there one of these days to meet some folks. Is RSF near you by any chance? That way it's not just a work trip for me

By the way, I get that damn puff of smoke in the mornings too so perhaps I should change my valve as well. I'm by no means a mechanic so this should be interesting.

Last edited by mikeloc24; 05-26-04 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-26-04, 02:04 PM
HotBoy
Lead Lap

yeah man rancho santa fe is not far from me, maybe like 30 mins but I am stil a little fuzzy on my times including traffic here in SD, just let me know when you come down and we can meet, I know MrJontan is near that area too and a few others if we get a heads up maybe we can do a mini meet somewhere.
Old 05-26-04, 04:07 PM
CUMan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For those of you contemplating replacing the air control valve in the power steering pump, the Toyota part number is 17630-16040. (At least this is the one for my 1993 LS 400.) I purchased mine from a Toyota dealer on the internet. The cost was $68.97 plus $9.00 shipping.

The first thing I would do is pull off the two hoses where they connect to the air intake and to the front of the engine. See if there is any visible fluid in the hoses. I was losing fluid through both of these hoses.

The part screws into the bottom of the power steering pump. You have to get under the engine to get to it. I also replaced the two hoses on my car. They were hardened and rotten.
Old 05-27-04, 09:44 AM
HotBoy
Lead Lap

Cool thanks man will probably do it this weekend. Thanks also for the part # but do you know what exactly the part is called ? I will probably get down there and pull it off and just check for fluid like you said and hope that this is my problem as a $70 fix sounds not too bad.
Old 05-27-04, 02:27 PM
CUMan
Lead Lap

The ticket I received when I ordered mine called it "air control valve."

This part is used on numerous Toyota built vehicles. It is used in the emission systems in some vehicles and in the power steering systems in others.
Old 05-28-04, 11:48 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Default WTF!?!?!!

Man I just called Cabe Toyota out here in Long Beach and they want $96.93 for that part!!!!!! Needless to say I'll keep looking......gaaaaaawdaaamn!
Old 05-28-04, 12:45 PM
CUMan
Lead Lap

Try www.toyotaworld.com.

Click on the OEM parts insignia and then enter the part number 1763016040. They list the various vehicles the part is used on. Their price is $68.97. These are the folks I ordered from.
Old 05-28-04, 03:39 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hotboy, the air control valve on your SC is on the high pressure line. The easy check is disconnect the 2 hoses from the valve and see if it wet. If it wet then the valve is leaking fluid, but if it dry, don't waste your money on the valve.
The SC400 is famous for clogged resevoir and it won't let the fluid go through the pump. You can remove the reseroir and clean the screen or punch a hole to the screen,because that little not gonna help much anyway.
I hope some guy need to keep this thread within the topic and no smart a$$ talk to another member If you have some info or some suggestion to the topic, please do so( without putting another member down). If you know something that another member don't know, doesn't make you a smarter person than another member.
Old 05-28-04, 04:06 PM
HotBoy
Lead Lap

VVTi thanks man I am going to do this tomorrow then do a ps system flush. Hope this is the only problem ( not a big problem, the wife says what noise are you taking about ) I will let you guys know how it turns out.
Old 06-01-04, 08:45 AM
cuttingedg
Driver School Candidate

if there are no visible leaks,then there is a good chance the vacuum switch has gone out.on the coupe it is located on the high pressure hose and unlike the ls400 i believe you have to buy the hose to get it.i am a senior lexus certified tech if that makes a difference.