ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Maintenance (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/maintenance-11/)
-   -   PS pump (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/maintenance/121301-ps-pump.html)

HotBoy 05-25-04 02:41 PM

PS pump

Ok it just started whining, the fluid gets low in it for some reason and I see no visible leak, anyway it is whining. I have some ps fluid here but it says it's for Hondas so I don't really want to put it in. Should I let the pump whine until I make it to Auuto Zone this afternoon. It's not super loud but defenitely noticeable.

EUROJulian 05-25-04 02:44 PM

You have leak in the P/S system. Add fluid, then have car checked and fixed...

HotBoy 05-25-04 03:20 PM

I think it is a super slow leak at one of the hoses, it is a fairly new pump and like I said you can run it and turn full lock both ways and look for drips and nothing. wierd. I guess I will put this honda fluid in and do a full flush this weekend.

mikeloc24 05-25-04 03:25 PM

Don't put that Honda fluid in there unless you're sure it won't do damage. I'd just let the thing whine for a day, the worse that will happen is you get a good arm workout in the process, I'd hate to think of a worst case scenerio involving incorrect fluid.

HotBoy 05-25-04 03:34 PM

yeah I did rethink that idea I have to pick up the wife and there is a NAPA right near her work so I'l lpick up some fluid there. Is there a specific type we should use ??

EUROJulian 05-25-04 03:41 PM

Originally posted by HotBoy
I think it is a super slow leak at one of the hoses, it is a fairly new pump and like I said you can run it and turn full lock both ways and look for drips and nothing. wierd. I guess I will put this honda fluid in and do a full flush this weekend.

Hehehe.... SSL... Super Slow Leak! Love that my man!

Don`t count on it thought. Steering rack bellows hold bunch of fluid before it start to show outside. Rack job, cant I smell money:D .... Sorry:cool:

HotBoy 05-25-04 03:43 PM

hold on please explain more about the rack belows holding fluid ?? If your pump leaks then the worst case is replacing the pump right, which I can do no probs, what is this about my steering rack ????

mikeloc24 05-25-04 03:43 PM

yeah I did rethink that idea I have to pick up the wife and there is a NAPA right near her work so I'l lpick up some fluid there. Is there a specific type we should use ??
I use Dexron type ll ATF, I believe it may have been replaced by Dexron Type lll, just make sure to read the bottle. The brand I use is Castrol, comes in a black bottle like engine oil and costs like $3-$4. It's considered Transmission fluid just so you know. Good luck :thumbup:

As for it being your steering rack don't get alarmed just yet, hopefully it's not. EUROJulian realized that he may have scared the ish outta you by saying that! Lol, but it shouldn't be the rack. Not if you're just now hearing a slight whine. This is what you can do. Email Andrew Vlamos at vftbushes.com and ask him to kindly explain to you how to check the rack. He's very helpful and should reply to your inquiry in short time.

HotBoy 05-25-04 04:05 PM

Thanks man, I actually have some ATF type IV in the trunk ( that is what replaced type II ) I guess I will throw that in there. I will give andrew a email and see what he says.
Thanks again.

EUROJulian 05-25-04 04:06 PM

hold on please explain more about the rack belows holding fluid ?? If your pump leaks then the worst case is replacing the pump right, which I can do no probs, what is this about my steering rack ????
C-mon guys it is not a brainer. Pumps whine cause fluid is to low and it sucks some air together with p/s fluid.
Question: where the fluid went?

Answer" Ider somwhere OUTSIDE the system (you said you checked and there is NO outside leaks, am I correct?)

OR

Fliud just seats inside bellows in steering rack.... :cylon:

Amyway, we are just funning alround here. I didn`t see the car, I can`t trust your eyesHBoy so I can`t say nothinng for sure. Get car checked by the competent mechanic.:dunno: .....

HotBoy 05-25-04 04:25 PM

seriously I am not in a great mood and normally I don't mind sarcastic posts, don't come on here with 9 posts and be a smart@$$. Yeah I will check it out I have just never had that hapen before thats all, you're right you didn't see the car, you can't trust my eyes ??? what I'm blind ? get checked by the competent mechanic, what makes you assume that because you don't know me and I have not had this happen with a leaky ps pump that I am incompetent of checkin it out ????
I'm lettin this go now but next time either answer the question or don't.

/Aerostar\ 05-25-04 05:48 PM

Flush your PS system, its incredibly easy, and fun to hear your friend complain about some old nasty fluid flying up and hitting him. Use only Toyota Dextron II . AFter flushing, make sure to bleed the system by driving around the block and then checking the fluid level.

Good luck

CUMan 05-25-04 06:18 PM

My 1993 LS 400 was losing fluid, but there was no leak anywhere. The fluid was being drawn into the engine through the hoses that run from the air control valve at the bottom of the power steering pump.
This valve is replaceable without replacing the entire pump. It costs about $70.00 as I recall.

If a significant amount of fluid is being drawn into the engine, you will notice a white puff of smoke when you start the engine.

I don't know if the SC has the same power steering system.

EUROJulian 05-25-04 08:00 PM

...you're right you didn't see the car, you can't trust my eyes ??? what I'm blind ? get checked by the competent mechanic, what makes you assume that because you don't know me and I have not had this happen with a leaky ps pump that I am incompetent of checkin it out ????
I'm lettin this go now but next time either answer the question or don't.

You are funny guy. Not that I particulary like it but whatever...

What I ment you are not a pro, I cant trust your eyes, cause you do not know where to look and that is it. Number of your posts doesn`t change anything, nider enchance much your ability to identify or diagnose components of p/s system. I realized that to late.

I do not know really what you mean by "...lettin this go now..." I will answer you questions when I want to and as much as I choose to.

My bad that I continued beyond first post where I adviced you to have car checked. Never happen agein in YOUR thread.:egads:

BTW, now I have 10 posts...:D

HotBoy 05-25-04 10:40 PM

dude honestly , what because your a "Toyota master technician" I am supposed to deal with your smartass answers. Just like a dealer tech to say bring it to a dealer. I don't know where to look and that's it ? wtf is it with dealer techs that think no one else can work on their cars ???
lettin this go now did mean that I wasn't goin into anymore the fact that you were being a d!*k, but you still are, sometimes people come off as baing a smartass or arrogant when they are really not and I thought this may be the case. But it isn't big loss for me for you not to reply to my posts, good if this wasn't the place this is I would let you know how I feel about you. Learn to speak proper english or take a typing class and go back to your master tech customer raping garage.

CUman that is very possible thanks for the heads up I will check that out. <------- answers like these are why I posted the question. Guess the master tech missed that one.

Mods
sorry but EURO pushed my buttons I hate people that feel the need to tell everyone why they should not do things because they feel they are better than everyone else. If you feel the need to lock or delete this thread I understand.