LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

new owners first time p/s fluid change NASTY

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-05, 07:41 PM
phillipin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new owners first time p/s fluid change NASTY

Ok so my p/s sometime moreso on left hand tight turns will moan like a whale. So i go pickup a hand pump and a couple quarts of atf dex 3. I pump out the res into a gatorade bottle, and jebus crimminy it was black, and small chunks of gunk/burnt fluid came up with the old stuff. I pump out and refill about 7 times. Each time putting the cap on and driving the car around to get the new fluid circulated.

On the last bit the 2nd new quart i put in the fluid appears to be dark red now after mixing in with the old fluid. The moan is gone, it has a barely audible noise when turning slow and tight. Looking at the pumps tubing and flushing the pump with water their was alot of small burnt fluid bits.

My power steering pump doesnt leak at all, well as least yet. But after even 2 quarts of new fluid swapped in the steering felt much lighter and smooth. Low speed tight turns now make almost no noise and retain the smooth feel.

Friday i will swap out 4 more quarts, maybe more depending on the heat of the sun and how much time i have. I plan on doing the diff fluid, and tranny fluid that day plus the rear brakes so i may get lazy after a few of those.

But for those new owners with with steering noises or problems this is an easy step for you to improve the cars feel and handling.

the pump was 6.95 at kragen, and the atf was 1.68 per quart too.

Place the suction tube into the p/s res and pump a few times hard to get the fluid moving then pump a few more times slow, the entire res will be empty very quickly. Make sure you put a good amount of rag around the res opening. you dont want the atf leaking down into the alternator area. after you suck out all the old fluid, get a funnel and place it in the opening, then pour a small amount of atf into the res. remove the funnel and check the fluid level often.

repeat this untill your almost out of atf, i dont suggest using all of the last quart since you may end up not having enough to get the to normal p/s fluid level. after ever new fluid fill cap it, close the hood and drive around the block using as many u turn or tight turns as possible, or place your car on jack stands, cap it start it and rotate left to right for a few min.

Makes a huge improvment.
Old 07-15-05, 05:01 PM
aruba_400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for sharing this good info..

Doug