Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

45,000 Mile Service Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-04, 09:19 AM
tonytony
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 45,000 Mile Service Question

Hi,

I have a question about a 2000 ES300 maintenance. I was going to bring my vehicle in for a service to the Lexus Dealership where I purchased my car, under the impression that it would be a complientary thing. I thought WRONG. Anyway, the cost is around $500, is that normal pricetag? Can I take it to a Toyota Dealership and have it serviced there or even taking it to a Midas or Meineke or some other service shop to have it done? Will this void my warrenty in any way?

The dealership gave me this brochure outlining all the good stuff they will do at 45000 service, which includes:

Flush and Replace Brake Fluid
Perform Air Induction System Maintenance
Replace Oil and Oil Filter
Fill Windshield Washer Reservoir
Inspect Exhaust Pipes and Mountings
Replace Air Filter
Replace A/C Filter
Replace Fuel Filter
Replace Automatic Transmission and Differential Fluid
Replace Engine Coolant
Repace Windshield Wiper Inserts
Clean and Flush Intake and Combustion Chamber
Inspect Battery and Electrolyte Level
ubricate Hood and Door Hinges and latches
Inspect Fuel Line and COnnections
Inspect Ball Joints and Dust Covers
Inspect Brake Pads and Discs, Front and Rear
Rotate Tires, Set Tire Pressures
Balance all 4 wheels
Inspect Brake Fluid and Check for Leaks
Inspect Brake Line Pipes and Hoses
Inspect Steering Linkage
Inspect Steering Gear Box Oil and check for Leaks
Inspect Bolts and Nuts on Chassis and Body
Body Inspection (Paint and Corrosion)
Road Test
Car Wash and Vacuum

Thans
Old 05-13-04, 09:27 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

It would help a lot if you told us what maintenance had been performed at earlier dealer visits, like 15,000 mi and 30,000 mi service visits. Some of the stuff you mention should have been done at 2 years/30,000 miles.
Old 05-13-04, 09:36 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I also voice bob's comment on what items were actually done to the ES before. You could always ask the service dept to pull up a service record and history of the car (just provide them the VIN number). The service database is shared at all Lexus facilities in the country, so it does not matter which dealership you go to.

I'd skip those "inspection" items listed in the 45K service. To me, it's BS and a waste of money and time. If your car is generally in great shape, then I'd say there's no need to professionally inspect certain components in the car. Plus, there are other things on the list that you could do yourself, such as oil change, wiper fluid refill, wiper blade change, and replace air filter (only if it looks dirty).
Old 05-13-04, 09:49 AM
tonytony
Driver

Well,
I purchased the vehicle recently, when it has approximately over 39k miles on it. The dealership told me they had already done the 40k servicing. I don't have any records of it, nor is this noted on my maintenance schedule "booklet" that comes my car. Its a Certified Pre0wned if that helps.

Acording to their brochure, their 40k servicing is as follows.

Inspect Air Filter
Inspect Parking Brake Drum and Lining
Inspect Steering Linkage
Road Test
Car Wash and Vacuum
Old 05-13-04, 09:52 AM
tonytony
Driver

Thx lexusk8 and bob,

I just thought my first service with them would be complimentary and they took me by surprise when they told me the dollar figure.
Old 05-13-04, 11:46 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 45,000 Mile Service Question

Originally posted by tonytony
..under the impression that it would be a complientary thing. I thought WRONG. Anyway, the cost is around $500, is that normal pricetag? Can I take it to a Toyota Dealership and have it serviced there or even taking it to a Midas or Meineke or some other service shop to have it done? Will this void my warrenty in any way?

Flush and Replace Brake Fluid
Perform Air Induction System Maintenance
Inspect Exhaust Pipes and Mountings
Replace Air Filter
Replace A/C Filter
Replace Fuel Filter
Replace Automatic Transmission and Differential Fluid
Replace Engine Coolant
Repace Windshield Wiper Inserts
Clean and Flush Intake and Combustion Chamber
Inspect Battery and Electrolyte Level
ubricate Hood and Door Hinges and latches
Inspect Fuel Line and COnnections
Balance all 4 wheels
Inspect Brake Fluid and Check for Leaks
Inspect Brake Line Pipes and Hoses
Inspect Steering Linkage
Inspect Steering Gear Box Oil and check for Leaks
Road Test
Car Wash and Vacuum

Thans
OMG! lol..."complimentary service from Lexus?!!" what a contradiction! I haven't had a dealer do a service on my car in so long I almost forgot how treacherous they were! lol! $500 for that ****?!?!! Tony, seriously, like others have said...all that "inspection" stuff is crap so don't bother with it, they never inspected my damn control arms and they're shot, so don't bother. You can get an oil change at most Toyota dealerships for $25, that way you still have a Toyota filter and the peace of mind to know if was done by Toyota techs (if it makes a difference). The air filter, washer reservoir, and wipers can all be replaced by going to PepBoys or some other chain store, and buying/installing them yourself. The fact that they'd charge you to lubricate your hinges and hood is hilarious, buy some WD40 and handle it yourself. Go to a tire shop for your tire and brake needs, they usally have specials on rotating and balancing tires (most people rotate their own tires but I guess you're not in a position to do that so...) and will do a lot of inspecting free of charge. Just don't let them sell you something you don't need. Then wash the car yourself, I personally enjoy washing my own car. I take more time and put in more care than anyone else could...if not then pay someone $15 to wash/mini-detail it and you're good to go...If you were near me I could help you with some this, but good luck to you. You should save over 1/2 by doing some of this yourself

Last edited by mikeloc24; 05-13-04 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-13-04, 01:17 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

only the first oil and filter change is free on a CPO. On a purchase of a new vehicle, the 1,000 and 5,000 mile service are free. however, these are just visual inspections and an oil and filter change.

Most of the 45k can be done in your driveway by yourself if you are handy with a wrench.

Other than that the $500 does seem a little high, My 15k (same items as the 45K) ran me $375.

Since this is your first service on the purchase of the car, talk to the service manager and ask them to deduct the cost of an oil and filter change from you total cost.

steviej
Old 05-13-04, 02:35 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

What the dealer is suggesting is more like a 30,000 service, with Lexus-dealer frills added on.

I'd check with the dealer on the car's service history to see what, if anything, was done at the 30,000 mile service (and not due again until 60 k-mi). Another check is to look at the Air conditioner filter (behind the glove compartment) and see how clogged that is. That filter should be checked every 10-15,000 miles (in my opinion) and replaced as necessary. If it's really badly clogged, you can be pretty sure that maintenance has not been agressive.

I'd be inclined to buy parts at a Lexus/Toyota dealer, rather than the nearby auto parts store, or from a discount mail order Lexus dealer.
Old 05-14-04, 06:34 AM
tonytony
Driver

Thank you all for your help and comments. I would most definitely attempt to do the majority of stuff listed if I had the time and know-how to do them. I can certainly try out the little things, such as refilling fluids. I think I established a pretty good relationship with a Midas (my older vehicle's best friend) and may just do all my brake/wheel/tire things with them. I just wasn't sure I can go to a 3rd party and not "void" the warrenty or something.

I'm trying to keep my vehicle maintained, not only because its a nice car being a Lexus and all, but my last car, I certainly neglected it and that cost me a pretty penny when something DID go wrong.

Thanks again.
Old 05-14-04, 08:31 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by tonytony
Thx lexusk8 and bob,

I just thought my first service with them would be complimentary and they took me by surprise when they told me the dollar figure.
The wallet laundry service is complimentary at your Lexus dealer.

Seriously, only the first oil and filter change is free.