LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Is the Lexus LX570 Snow Capable With Stock 20 inch Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-19, 12:37 PM
xfea
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ClaytonW
Don't worry, they won't check your tires. They just care if you have 4x4. And most SUV tires are marked M+S, so technically, they are snow tires.
I live at Lake Tahoe, I passed through many chain controls. Of course, real snow tires are much better. I use 18" Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 and they are great. But usually the conditions are not so bad and if you are careful, you can drive here with all-season tires.
After the storm and after the plowing... Yes.

Well... I live in Tahoe as well... And it depends on the check personal.... Far more strict this year than in the past. I've waited in line watching many a 4x4 being turned away...

Driving in harsh winter conditions, during the blizzard and before the plowing without snow tires is unwise at best.

I bought 4 OEM LEXUS LX 570 20 inch wheels and have BLIZZAK tires... Damn near unstoppable.
Old 03-10-19, 04:12 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by xfea
And it depends on the check personal.... Far more strict this year than in the past. I've waited in line watching many a 4x4 being turned away...
Both California and Nevada defines snow tires like this: "Snow tires must have a tread depth of 6/32" with a "M & S" imprint on the tire's sidewall". As I already mentioned, most SUV tires have M+S on their sidewalls. So the only reason to turn away can be that their tread depth is below 6/32". Of course, I am not saying that it's a good idea to drive on all season tires at really bad conditions (and it happened quite often this season). BTW, in California, you still have to carry chains somewhere in your 4x4 car. But I've never seen any chain control to check this. It's not mandatory in Nevada. And there are usually no chain controls on the Nevada side of Lake Tahoe, just traffic signs saying that "Chains are mandatory except 4x4" (hwy 50 from Carson City, Kingsburry Rd, Mt Rose highway) or "Chains or snow tires mandatory" (all other roads).
Old 03-10-19, 04:58 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by xfea
After the storm and after the plowing... Yes.

Well... I live in Tahoe as well... And it depends on the check personal.... Far more strict this year than in the past. I've waited in line watching many a 4x4 being turned away...

Driving in harsh winter conditions, during the blizzard and before the plowing without snow tires is unwise at best.

I bought 4 OEM LEXUS LX 570 20 inch wheels and have BLIZZAK tires... Damn near unstoppable.
I've been over and back through Donner Summit 4 times this year. Twice the majority of 4x4's were told to chain-up or turn around. I was given thumbs-up twice...once by a chain guy, and once by a CHP sergeant. And you are correct, Blizzaks are outstanding and on the truck from mid-November until late-March.
Old 03-10-19, 07:44 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by hankinid
I've been over and back through Donner Summit 4 times this year. Twice the majority of 4x4's were told to chain-up or turn around. I was given thumbs-up twice...once by a chain guy, and once by a CHP sergeant. And you are correct, Blizzaks are outstanding and on the truck from mid-November until late-March.
Donner Summit is usually the worst part. When the conditions are really bad, California usually close this highway. It was closed quite often this season. I haven't seen any 4x4s turned away there but I usually don't go there when the conditions are so bad. Hwy 50 usually works better for me. I still think that they should follow their own rules and they should not turn around 4x4s with M+S marked tires with at least 6/32" tread. They can just recommend them to chain up. But this is probably the only place with such strict restrictions. I deal quite often with chain controls near Kings Beach (on the road to Truckee) or on hwy 88 near Kirkwood and I have never seen similar problems.
Old 03-11-19, 05:11 AM
TraderHal
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need dedciated snows if you dont want to slip on ice . I own a 08 sequoia plat and 14 LX. The LX is better than the sequioa on the same stock tires but when you put blizzaks on the sequoia it is way better