LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Long term storage

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-18, 05:43 AM
z32
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Long term storage

I'll have to be away for 6 months or so. Any recommendations on long term storage on my LX? Should I unplug the car battery and leave it alone? I can have my cousin start it up once a week but he's not going to drive it....even if he'll drive the truck he won't drive more than 3 minutes / more like circle around the complex hence don't think it'll give enough time for the battery to recharge. Should I leave the gas tank level low before I leave (not sure if gas will go bad after such time)?
Old 05-31-18, 08:57 AM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Air the tires up to 50 lbs. Leave the battery connected but purchase a good battery maintainer, something like a CETEk https://smartercharger.com/2013/02/b...er-what-is-it/

Make sure all the openings are closed, windows etc. When you return change the oil, adjust the tire pressures, and drive away. Gas will be "old" but should be OK. If possible fill with ethanol free gas before storage. If no ethanol free gas is available then make sure you one of the numerous products available for use with gas contaminated with ethanol such as Mechanic In A Bottle.
Old 05-31-18, 07:46 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by z32
I'll have to be away for 6 months or so. Any recommendations on long term storage on my LX? Should I unplug the car battery and leave it alone? I can have my cousin start it up once a week but he's not going to drive it....even if he'll drive the truck he won't drive more than 3 minutes / more like circle around the complex hence don't think it'll give enough time for the battery to recharge. Should I leave the gas tank level low before I leave (not sure if gas will go bad after such time)?
If it were mine, I'd leave the battery connected. The gas tank should be topped off and a fuel stabilizer added. I'd also change the oil and filter, but that's just me. I would also park it on jack stands with the tires off the ground.

Originally Posted by REDHORSE
Air the tires up to 50 lbs. Leave the battery connected but purchase a good battery maintainer, something like a CETEk https://smartercharger.com/2013/02/b...er-what-is-it/
A Battery Tender Jr. or Schumacher charger should be plenty. All we're doing is keeping the battery fully charged.

Make sure all the openings are closed, windows etc. When you return change the oil, adjust the tire pressures, and drive away. Gas will be "old" but should be OK. If possible fill with ethanol free gas before storage. If no ethanol free gas is available then make sure you one of the numerous products available for use with gas contaminated with ethanol such as Mechanic In A Bottle.
I use nothing but non-ethanol gas, but I'd still add a fuel stabilizer.

Other than "what could possibly go wrong with your cousin driving it around the complex", but not letting the truck warm up completely (water, oil, trans fluid) is worse than leaving it parked. Ideally, a freeway round trip of 50 miles or so is what I'd want. If that weren't possible, I'd simply leave it parked on stands for 6 months.
Old 06-01-18, 03:59 PM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by REDHORSE

Yep, everything in this post.

Don't jack the car up as the AHC struts will likely not be happy after sitting at full extension for months. High tire pressure should prevent or mitigate flat spotting.

Don't have the car started regularly unless it will be fully warmed up, as in 15 miles or more of real-world driving, every single time.
Old 06-01-18, 04:45 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

I's just a car...And it's Toyota. 6 months is not so much. I would just add a fuel stabilizer and aired the tires to a higher pressure then usually. Battery maintainer would be a plus but I would bet that the battery can start the vehicle after 6 months even without it.
Old 06-04-18, 09:29 PM
z32
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 67 Posts

Please educate me... Why I need to have a full tank w/ fuel stabilizer and not a 'almost' empty tank? thx
Old 06-04-18, 10:15 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by z32
Please educate me... Why I need to have a full tank w/ fuel stabilizer and not a 'almost' empty tank? thx
Water condensation. Most people recommend this. But I've read some interesting opinions that it is not necessary. But I don't have time for a detailed research. I always stored cars, UTVs/ATVs, lawn movers etc. with a full tank and Stabil and never had any problems. So it's probably fine :-)
Old 06-05-18, 10:49 AM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by z32
If the storage will remain at a constant temperature then I would be less worried about a full fuel tank. However, if the tank is nearly empty, changes in temperature may cause water to condense out of the air about fuel in the tank. You don't want to be adding water to the tank, especially when storing for an extended period of time.
Old 06-05-18, 12:20 PM
Gordj
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ClaytonW
I's just a car...And it's Toyota. 6 months is not so much. I would just add a fuel stabilizer and aired the tires to a higher pressure then usually. Battery maintainer would be a plus but I would bet that the battery can start the vehicle after 6 months even without it.
I’ll take that bet. What do you want to put in the pot? It seems that a lot of the electronics, like the keyless ignition, are active while parked and it is not unusual for as little as 3 weeks to drain the battery.
Old 06-05-18, 12:25 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

My GX sat for a year waiting for a takata airbag. I put a little extra air in the tires, some sta-bil in the tank (and filled the tank), and after a few months put it on a battery tender.

http://products.batterytender.com/Au...derR-Plus.html

Battery tender is about $40-$50. Sta-bil is cheap, can get it at walmart or an automotive store.
Old 06-05-18, 08:34 PM
fosterelli
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good advice on here. For around 6 months simply stabilize the fuel, have 3/4-F tank of fuel, air up tires a bit, and throw a battery tender on it. This is what everybody does and it works great. The only difference between these steps and 9 of 10 large car collections is the fuel level (because they are climate controlled and also need to minimize amount of fuel in the building).