LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

HNL Gear shift and the transmission, LOUD Screeching NOISE!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-17, 01:06 AM
flashes23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HNL Gear shift and the transmission, LOUD Screeching NOISE!

So i recently purchased a second LX470. One 99' the other 00'. Ive never taken it off road, never really had the interest too either. So I'm sitting in the car that I just bought and I decided to shift from H to N on the secondary gear shift. Because in H going from reverse on to drive on the transmission I have a clunking noise (will take it to get greased tomorrow), in the N mode the clunking noise completely went away but when I shifted to Park there was a very loud screeching noise. So I was wondering if I did something wrong, or if there is something wrong with the car. I hop in my other LX and do the same thing, go from H to N and shift from Neutral to Park and there is a similar metal on metal screeching noise. So now I'm sitting here wondering am I doing something to ****** up my cars, or is something wrong with both cars?? lol. No real car knowledge or experience, currently a 3rd year surgery resident (doesn't leave me time for new hobbies).
Old 05-19-17, 08:06 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by flashes23
So i recently purchased a second LX470. One 99' the other 00'. Ive never taken it off road, never really had the interest too either. So I'm sitting in the car that I just bought and I decided to shift from H to N on the secondary gear shift. Because in H going from reverse on to drive on the transmission I have a clunking noise (will take it to get greased tomorrow), in the N mode the clunking noise completely went away but when I shifted to Park there was a very loud screeching noise. So I was wondering if I did something wrong, or if there is something wrong with the car. I hop in my other LX and do the same thing, go from H to N and shift from Neutral to Park and there is a similar metal on metal screeching noise. So now I'm sitting here wondering am I doing something to ****** up my cars, or is something wrong with both cars?? lol. No real car knowledge or experience, currently a 3rd year surgery resident (doesn't leave me time for new hobbies).
Stop the truck, shift the transmission into neutral, and then move the transfer case lever. What happens?

Steve
Old 05-19-17, 11:06 PM
flashes23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Then I can move it freely from H to N to L, but if I'm in N and shift to park from neutral it makes a screeching noise.
Old 05-20-17, 01:40 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by flashes23
Then I can move it freely from H to N to L, but if I'm in N and shift to park from neutral it makes a screeching noise.
No idea as I've never tried it. No reason for Park when transfer case is in neutral as the transmission is not connected to either driveshaft. Just a SWAG, but it sounds like no synchronization. Screeching noises are definitely not normal.