LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

2018 LS 500 windshield crack from small rock chip

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-19, 04:43 PM
JH48
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Exclamation 2018 LS 500 windshield crack from small rock chip

Today Socal is 99 degrees super hot
i park the LS outside and during lunch time I see the rock chip started crack a long line. Now I check again, the line is 5 inches longer then earlier. I wondering if lexus dealership cover that if not where should I go to get it done not too pricey.

Thanks
Old 06-10-19, 08:07 PM
Ravill
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My insurance company covers glass with no deductible.
Old 06-10-19, 10:57 PM
JH48
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ravill
wow. You bought that protection?

just got a quote $2500+
Old 06-11-19, 09:05 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Ravill
Same here my insurance covers no deductible. JH48 you might want to check your insurance and make sure, they would also have to give you OEM as the car is to new to give a knock off or as good as OEM.
Old 06-11-19, 04:50 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Same here my insurance covers no deductible. JH48 you might want to check your insurance and make sure, they would also have to give you OEM as the car is to new to give a knock off or as good as OEM.
In California, the insurance company legally has to pay for OEM parts. One of the very few things I actually agree with in this wacky state.
Old 06-11-19, 04:55 PM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by dsc07
In California, the insurance company legally has to pay for OEM parts. One of the very few things I actually agree with in this wacky state.
Wish it was like that in mass. After a couple years they can choose to give you oem glass.
Old 06-11-19, 05:59 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by dsc07
I believe this is only the case for the first couple of years from brand new. After that it’s aftermarket glass.
Old 06-11-19, 08:48 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by aypues
I believe this is only the case for the first couple of years from brand new. After that it’s aftermarket glass.
It looks like it's not technically a requirement, but the requirements are nearly impossible to meet, and the savings probably wouldn't be worth the hassle and risk of warranting them, which is why most Ca. insurance companies cover OEM parts and, in fact, will refer you to a dealer repair center. No mention on the age of the car, though.

The California Code of Regulations Title 10 Chapter 5 Section 2695.8 (g) states:

(g) No insurer shall require the use of non-original equipment manufacturer replacement crash parts in the repair of an automobile unless all of the following conditions are met:

(1) the parts are at least equal to the original equipment manufacturer parts in terms of kind, quality, safety, fit, and performance;

(2) the insurer specifying the use of non-original equipment manufacturer replacement crash parts shall pay the cost of any modifications to the parts that may become necessary to effect the repair;

(3) the insurer specifying the use of non-original equipment manufacturer replacement crash parts warrants that such parts are at least equal to the original equipment manufacturer parts in terms of kind, quality, safety, fit,and performance.The insurer must disclose in writing, in any estimate prepared by or for the insurer, the fact that it warrants that such parts are at least equal to the original equipment manufacturer parts in terms of kind, quality, safety, fit, and performance;

(4) all original and non-original manufacturer replacement crash parts,manufactured after the effective date of this subdivision, when supplied by repair shops shall carry sufficient permanent, non-removable identification so as to identify the manufacturer. Such identification shall be accessible to the greatest extent possible after installation;and,

(5) the use of non-original equipment manufacturer replacement crash parts is disclosed in accordance with section 9875.1 of the California Business and Professions Code.

(6) If an insurer specifying the use of non-original equipment manufacturer replacement crash parts has knowledge that a part is not equal to the original equipment manufacturer part in terms of kind, quality, safety, fit, and performance, or does not otherwise comply with this section, it shall immediately cease requiring the use of the part and shall, within thirty (30) calendar days, notify the distributor of the non-compliant aspect of the part.

(7) In the repair of a particular vehicle, an insurer specifying the use of a non-original equipment manufacturer replacement crash part that is not equal to the original equipment manufacturer part in terms of kind, quality, safety, fit, and performance, or does not otherwise comply with this section, shall pay for the costs associated with returning the part and the cost to remove and replace the non-original equipment manufacturer part with a compliant non-original equipment manufacturer part or an original equipment manufacturer part.

(8) Nothing in this subdivision prohibits an insurer from seeking reimbursement or indemnification from a third party for the costs associated with the insurer's compliance with this subdivision, including, but not limited to, costs associated with the insurer's obligation to warrant the part, modifications to the part, or returning, removing or replacing a non-compliant, non-original equipment manufacturer part. However, seeking reimbursement or indemnification from a third party shall not in any way modify the insurer's obligation to comply with this subdivision.An insurer shall retain primary responsibility to comply with this subdivision and shall not refuse or delay compliance with this subdivision on the basis that responsibility for payment or compliance should be assumed by a third party.