GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Windshield Insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-08, 10:42 PM
MELODY7
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Insurance?

If I'm riding behind a construction truck and a rock flies off his truck and hits my windshield and cracks it, being that the crack is big enough and in the drivers view will I get an original equipment manufacturer rain censored windshield being that it is a lease and I'm paying premium insurance?

Note; I live in the state of Florida where there is no deductible.
Old 06-01-08, 11:08 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

It all depends on your insurance company and what they will cover up to. Most insurance carriers only cover aftermarket manufactured OEM glass.
Old 06-02-08, 12:40 AM
MELODY7
Driver

Well I have Geico if that helps, and what exactly is aftermarket manufactured oem glass? If its a lease wouldn't Lexus want to resell my car almost stock like?
Old 06-02-08, 12:43 AM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call your insurance and find out. Some companies have a special deductible for glass. Others just have you file a claim. If your deductible is cheaper than the cost of getting the windshield replaced, go with them.
Old 06-02-08, 03:14 AM
MELODY7
Driver

Originally Posted by Caoboy
Call your insurance and find out. Some companies have a special deductible for glass. Others just have you file a claim. If your deductible is cheaper than the cost of getting the windshield replaced, go with them.
I already stated that in the state of Florida there is no deductible for a cracked/broken windshield.
Old 06-02-08, 05:25 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by MELODY7
I already stated that in the state of Florida there is no deductible for a cracked/broken windshield.
While that my be true, not all insurance companies will pay for a OEM windshield. A OEM windshield cost 2 to 3 times as much as a aftermarket. A good after market windshield such as PPG or pinkington will be just as good as OEM, since they make a lot of the oem glass anyways. As far as rain sensor is concerned, thats not part of the glass, the only diff is the shaded part of the glass and to couple the glass to the sensor. Also, an aftermarket glass should not affect your lease, but I would double check with Lexus.
I have heard that there is no aftermarket windshield for the 3GS yet, but that was a while ago, maybe things has change.
Old 06-02-08, 04:24 PM
bokmeipai
Pole Position

Originally Posted by The G Man
While that my be true, not all insurance companies will pay for a OEM windshield. A OEM windshield cost 2 to 3 times as much as a aftermarket. A good after market windshield such as PPG or pinkington will be just as good as OEM, since they make a lot of the oem glass anyways. As far as rain sensor is concerned, thats not part of the glass, the only diff is the shaded part of the glass and to couple the glass to the sensor. Also, an aftermarket glass should not affect your lease, but I would double check with Lexus.
I have heard that there is no aftermarket windshield for the 3GS yet, but that was a while ago, maybe things has change.
There is no aftermarket glass for the 3GS because there is a built in bracket to fit the rearview mirror which to date no afterrmarket company has been able to duplicate. Possibly a patent ? The lexus windshield cost $1K !
Old 06-02-08, 04:26 PM
ICENUTZ
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why did u not get the name and plate of the truck and make the company pay for it? Then u dont need to even get ur Ins. company involved...
Old 06-02-08, 04:31 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

only your insurance can tell you that

for reference,

I have farmers insurance for windshield with no deductible, whether to replace and/or repair is entirely up to the account holder and they can either go with OEM glass or aftermarket

they don't care about the replacement amount, they care about the # of claims
Old 06-02-08, 06:52 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bokmeipai
There is no aftermarket glass for the 3GS because there is a built in bracket to fit the rearview mirror which to date no afterrmarket company has been able to duplicate.
Not true. As a matter of fact the windshield in my current 06 GS300 AWD is from Pilkington. The remaining glass say Lexus/Nippon. The bracket for the reveiw mirror clamps on to a base that is glued onto the glass behind the black stripe so you can't see it from the outside.

whenever possible insurance companies will go for the less expensive replacment. In my previous ES, I had the windshield replaced due to the exact scenario stated above. In MA, you are allowed one windshield replacement/year under your comprehensive coverage (no deductable). It was replaced with a Pilkington as well. In both cases, the Pilkington replacement was as good of quality as the original, at least to my eye.

steviej
Old 06-02-08, 09:31 PM
MELODY7
Driver

There is no aftermarket glass for the 3GS because there is a built in bracket to fit the rearview mirror which to date no afterrmarket company has been able to duplicate. Possibly a patent ? The lexus windshield cost $1K !
I hope your right.
Old 06-03-08, 10:34 AM
ISFTwins
Driver

For those of us with '07 and '08 GS... There is a sound insulating film inside of the glass and I don't believe aftermarket will have this.. Better go with OEM..
Old 06-03-08, 02:44 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

All automotive windshield glass already has a laminate or film sandwiched between the glass. All aftermarket OEM spec glass has this. Otherwise when your windshield is damaged from a rock or object, glass chunks will shatter into your lap.
Old 06-03-08, 02:49 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Are you sure about this? There are thousands of vehicles which have rear view mirrors mounted onto the windshield via a mounting bracket. Lexus is not unique to this. Some even have antennas and rain sensors integrated into them.
Old 06-03-08, 04:13 PM
ISFTwins
Driver

I was more referring specifically to the difference between the glass on all of the '07 models and on .. I drove an '06 RX330 and then an '07 RX350, for example, and the sound insulating film, which is actually on the inside surface of the glass (to the best of my knowledge), made a huge difference in road/wind noise and audio quality.. Anyone else know anything on this topic.. This is just what I was told by the dealership and they said it was more expensive than previous year models to replace the glass..

Quick Reply: Windshield Insurance?