LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Oil consumption LS500 and other issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-19, 03:26 PM
PeteW
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil consumption LS500 and other issues

First-time poster here, a bit of a rant.
So I bought my wife a new LS500 in January for her 40th birthday. In March the fuel door wouldn't open, Lexus quickly replaced the "defective parts". Two weeks later the Nav screen started flashing and switching between different functions while driving, took it back to Lexus who "couldn't recreate the issue" but now it seems to be fixed. Last week we take the car on a long weekend and the low oil warning comes on, check the oil and it's 1qt low, 4k miles on the odo. Took it to the nearest dealership and they tried to tell me that it "was normal because it's a twin-turbo" (funny how my 2013 CL63 and 2015 911 Turbo don't consume oil). I called BS and asked for a copy of the document that says the oil consumption is normal/within specs. Apparently, that document really doesn't exist, or they just didn't want to give it to me. I asked the service manager to put it in writing, nope. While the car was there I learn about the tire recall that was issued in Feb, news to me. Okay, change out the tires, they can't due to the backorder. Took the car home and called the dealership I purchased it from. Now I'm waiting on a call back from the service manager. So now I have a 100K car that is unsafe to drive and is consuming oil.
Has anyone else had issues with oil consumption?
Old 05-03-19, 05:57 PM
john341
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

There is a TSB for the Oil consumption warning. The car is most likely not consuming oil, just the system malfunctioning.

Also, if the Multimedia Acts up, you can press and hold the power **** on the radio to restart the whole system with out restarting the car.

"Low Engine Oil" Message TSB:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
document(2).pdf (226.9 KB, 319 views)
Old 05-03-19, 07:03 PM
PeteW
Driver School Candidate

Thats what the dealer tried to tell me today. Which would have been believable if the car wasn't a quart low.
I appreciate the tip on the media system.
Old 05-03-19, 07:51 PM
vantage78
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

What’s your build date?
Old 05-04-19, 03:18 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteW
First-time poster here, a bit of a rant.
So I bought my wife a new LS500 in January for her 40th birthday. In March the fuel door wouldn't open, Lexus quickly replaced the "defective parts". Two weeks later the Nav screen started flashing and switching between different functions while driving, took it back to Lexus who "couldn't recreate the issue" but now it seems to be fixed. Last week we take the car on a long weekend and the low oil warning comes on, check the oil and it's 1qt low, 4k miles on the odo. Took it to the nearest dealership and they tried to tell me that it "was normal because it's a twin-turbo" (funny how my 2013 CL63 and 2015 911 Turbo don't consume oil). I called BS and asked for a copy of the document that says the oil consumption is normal/within specs. Apparently, that document really doesn't exist, or they just didn't want to give it to me. I asked the service manager to put it in writing, nope. While the car was there I learn about the tire recall that was issued in Feb, news to me. Okay, change out the tires, they can't due to the backorder. Took the car home and called the dealership I purchased it from. Now I'm waiting on a call back from the service manager. So now I have a 100K car that is unsafe to drive and is consuming oil.
Has anyone else had issues with oil consumption?
So I can tell you that oil consumption is very normal, maybe not this early but I have had 3 BMW X5's and my friend has a Audi S6 we have all had to pour oil because of low oil. Maybe you have been lucky, but I can definitely say it happens more than you think. The Navigation I'll agree has had it's points and I have had the navigation go whack on my GS.
Old 05-04-19, 05:47 AM
PeteW
Driver School Candidate

Build date was 10/2018
Old 05-04-19, 06:00 AM
PeteW
Driver School Candidate

I could understand a little oil consumption on a higher milage car, not one thats only 4 months old w/4K miles on it. I've had more cars than I like to admit, but this is the only car I've owned that drank a quart of oil before it was time for it's first service.
Old 05-04-19, 06:10 AM
Scott610
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 46 Posts

When is your maintenance due date or service due ?? If it’s every 10 thousand miles your probably in between service intervals and 1 to 2 quarts is pretty normal and you said your at 4K miles now ?? I don’t trust the 10 k to change your oil I always do mines at 3k plus mines a 2011 isf with 600 plus hp and not recommended to go to 10 k until oil change . I work at Audi and I get cars all day that need a quart but there always in between service intervals
Old 05-04-19, 06:34 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

I could understand a little oil consumption on a higher milage car, not one thats only 4 months old w/4K miles on it. I've had more cars than I like to admit, but this is the only car I've owned that drank a quart of oil before it was time for it's first service.
Yes I agree with you on that, as it shouldn't be consuming oil that early.
Old 05-04-19, 07:25 AM
vantage78
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Build date was 10/2018
Same build date for me too. Interesting though, my vin isn’t part of the tire recall. No other issues, knock on wood. Hope they get it sorted for you soon.
Old 05-04-19, 08:02 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts

I had to add oil to my bmw 750. I knew someone with a Panama that had to also.
Old 05-04-19, 03:14 PM
GM11
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

we got the oil message after about three months, took it in, got 500ml of oil. Then after one year got the message again, it nagged and nagged this message. Finally took it in they said no it did not need oil it was a software bug (I guess it's the same as the recall notice above). They fixed the software an no issues since.
Old 05-06-19, 02:57 PM
hacker_720
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I also had the oil warning, the dealership said it's a software issue (as per the TSB), they also explained that Lexus delivers the car about 500ml low. If my dealership is right then you likely have nothing to worry about.

I also had a stuck fuel door, which was quickly fixed by the dealer, but I assume it was ice buildup from the car sitting outside in the winter.
Old 06-23-19, 09:24 PM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Received 414 Likes on 351 Posts
Default A lexus should not consume oil.

Am perusing newer model Lexus forums to determine fitness for purchase.

Noticed the oil consumption post.

My 1999 LS400 with 170,000 miles uses more oil wiping the dipstick while checking oil level than it consumes in 5,000 miles.
No kidding.
Every vehicle I have owned consumed oil...even my Mercedes, but not my Lexus.
I use 0W-30 synthetic

The issue you may have is factory 0W-20 oil.

0W-20 lacks necessary shear strength at operating temperatures...especially with turbos.

Would explore 0W-30.

..Be sure this will not interfere with warranty.

Always concerned me when someone unwilling to write what they say.

On the tire recall issue, leave the car off with dealer and utilize free loaner vehicle until you receive replacement tires.

Sounds like you are an unhappy camper, plagued with issues inconsistent with a Lexus, that perhaps time for a return and refund.

Consider contacting Counsel regarding your rights under lemon law...and then dispatch a demand letter to your evasive dealer service manager.
The following users liked this post:
Lex76 (07-12-19)
Old 10-06-19, 08:06 AM
SL%%
Rookie

My unsolicited advice, use this product with 10% ratio (meaning, if you have a total of 10 liters of oil for change oil, 9 liters will be the oil that you’re comfortable with and 1 liter of Polytron Metal Treatment Concentrate).

https://www.polytrondirect.com/product/polytron-mtc/ EPTECH Polytron Metal Treatment Concentrate. drastically reduces oil consumption.

Last edited by SL%%; 10-06-19 at 08:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Oil consumption LS500 and other issues