LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Sound System Quality on Mark Levinson

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-18, 07:58 AM
mpy1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound System Quality on Mark Levinson

I purchased the 2019 LS about a week ago and overall love it. As earlier reviews had stated, the infotainment system is a bit awkward, but I'm getting more adept at navigating this.I am disappointed in the sound system. I would have expected more depth of sound from the ML upgrade; my 2013 LS with ML had superior sound. I've noticed for music, regardless of source (XM or iphone music), the volume has to be turned up really high to sound halfway decent and even then, I can't get the bass just right. I've adjusted surround, fader, bass, treble and can't get the sound the LS deserves. I've seen similar comments on the ES, but not much on the LS. Has anyone had similar experience?
Old 11-22-18, 09:31 AM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Yes, same problem on a 2018. The 2014 and 2017 models had better bass.
Old 11-22-18, 11:42 AM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Try turning off the 3-D simulation. It sounds significantly better without it.
Old 11-22-18, 12:20 PM
500fsport
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mpy1
I purchased the 2019 LS about a week ago and overall love it. As earlier reviews had stated, the infotainment system is a bit awkward, but I'm getting more adept at navigating this.I am disappointed in the sound system. I would have expected more depth of sound from the ML upgrade; my 2013 LS with ML had superior sound. I've noticed for music, regardless of source (XM or iphone music), the volume has to be turned up really high to sound halfway decent and even then, I can't get the bass just right. I've adjusted surround, fader, bass, treble and can't get the sound the LS deserves. I've seen similar comments on the ES, but not much on the LS. Has anyone had similar experience?
Which ML sys do you have? I have the 23 speakers ml option in my LS 500 F-Sport. Sounds pretty clear and loud. But I could tell, the Bose sys in my Stingray was much louder but not as clear. Both sounds nice nonetheless.
Old 11-22-18, 02:58 PM
angrypengu
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

As an audiophile the 4LS ML system is massively inferior to the 5ML. Main difference for me is 3D sound.
​​​​​​
I absolutely adore the new ML system on the 5LS. Superior to the Burmester Advanced system on the S and the B and O advanced system on the A8.

That's how much I love the new 5LS ML system.
Old 11-22-18, 08:31 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,215 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by dsc07
Try turning off the 3-D simulation. It sounds significantly better without it.
This is what I did for my parents in their '18 LS. It helps. The system does have a flatter response. Most car systems have peaks in response to boost certain frequencies, like bass. My mom was complaining that not all the speakers work, so I plugged in my flash drive and played music with a little more bass, she definitely smiled! Much better than standard FM radio she listens to. Their whole "Clarifi" system that supposedly makes radio better is a bit of a joke to me, the radio still sounds like crappy old radio.

Originally Posted by 500fsport
Which ML sys do you have? I have the 23 speakers ml option in my LS 500 F-Sport. Sounds pretty clear and loud. But I could tell, the Bose sys in my Stingray was much louder but not as clear. Both sounds nice nonetheless.
I have never been a fan of the Bose system in the stingray It's like a one note wonder in the bass department and I hear a lot more distortion when it is turned up compared to the ML system in the ES/LS/RX.

Old 11-23-18, 07:03 AM
mpy1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the 23 speaker ML sound system. The only source I haven't tried is the CD player and flash drive. To my ears the XM sound is pretty poor.
Old 11-23-18, 07:27 AM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

XM is compressed quite a bit -- I think it's 32 Kbps. A stock CD is 1411 Kbps. It will never sound very good. You also have DVD Audio on the ML system and that might sound better -- IFF you can find DVD Audio discs.
The following users liked this post:
hfahmy (11-28-18)
Old 11-23-18, 09:19 AM
95bat
Racer

I have the 23 speaker ML sound system. The only source I haven't tried is the CD player and flash drive. To my ears the XM sound is pretty poor.
You haven't tried the two sources that actually sound good lol give them a try. Radio/XM does not sound nearly as good.
Old 11-23-18, 12:05 PM
500fsport
Driver School Candidate

XM sounds like crap. That's why I never subscribe in any of my cars. I just use Bluetooth audio from my LG G7 phone. It sounds amazing. The DTS X3D surround built in.
Old 11-23-18, 12:07 PM
500fsport
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 95bat
This is what I did for my parents in their '18 LS. It helps. The system does have a flatter response. Most car systems have peaks in response to boost certain frequencies, like bass. My mom was complaining that not all the speakers work, so I plugged in my flash drive and played music with a little more bass, she definitely smiled! Much better than standard FM radio she listens to. Their whole "Clarifi" system that supposedly makes radio better is a bit of a joke to me, the radio still sounds like crappy old radio.

I have never been a fan of the Bose system in the stingray It's like a one note wonder in the bass department and I hear a lot more distortion when it is turned up compared to the ML system in the ES/LS/RX.
the base BOSE sys in the stingray is just ok. The optional 10 speakers one is pretty good.
Old 11-23-18, 02:49 PM
95bat
Racer

the base BOSE sys in the stingray is just ok. The optional 10 speakers one is pretty good.
Yeah, I have the upgraded one in my Vette. The LS system is better, our RX is better, the ES is better, my old GS was better lol...
Old 11-23-18, 03:21 PM
500fsport
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 95bat
Yeah, I have the upgraded one in my Vette. The LS system is better, our RX is better, the ES is better, my old GS was better lol...
lol. I guess GM only spent money on the performance aspect.
Old 11-24-18, 10:19 AM
DerrickM
Advanced

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

XM sounds like crap. That's why I never subscribe in any of my cars. I just use Bluetooth audio from my LG G7 phone. It sounds amazing. The DTS X3D surround built in.
100% agree. They go for quantity over quality--hundreds of highly compressed stations. Most people don't notice the difference though.
Old 11-24-18, 06:52 PM
95bat
Racer

lol. I guess GM only spent money on the performance aspect.
Yeah they did! And it sure is fun! Just beats me up driving every day, my poor back is ready for something comfortable again lol

Quick Reply: Sound System Quality on Mark Levinson