LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Sound System Quality on Mark Levinson

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-19, 08:13 AM
vantage78
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by nsaldanh
jefmedia: I have a 2018 LS and yes a USB 3.0 drive works. I'm using a 32 GB USB 3 drive. I'll have to check how its formatted. It's at whatever the default was for that drive as I did not change it.
Interesting. So I can stream a FLAC service (I.e., Tidal) via my plugged in iPhone to the ML system?
Old 01-10-19, 10:12 AM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

I'm not sure. I have two android devices and my car head unit can't control either of them via USB. As such I can only connect them via AUX IN or bluetooth. In both cases the Android device does the decoding of the FLAC files. Both Android devices support MQA -- which is why I got them. One is an Onkyo DP-X1A and the other a Pioneer 300R. Tidal just released MQA on all Android devices. So both these devices now play Tidal Masters (aka MQA).

IPhone does support FLAC after IOS 11. However I have not tried loading FLAC files on an iPhone and I don't believe Tidal on iPhone even gets FLAC files. I think they are ALAC files. I'd be interested in knowing what you find out.
Old 01-10-19, 10:39 AM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

I thought about your original question a bit more and here's my opinion -- Regardless of what type of file is streaming via Tidal, Tidal does the decoding and as such your head unit will only see what Tidal decodes. I don't see any option in the android or IOS Tidal app to use an external decoder.
Old 01-10-19, 11:09 AM
jefmedia
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the only way to playback FLAC files is from a USB, otherwise the device, either Android or Apple, will do the decoding. I have been trying an app called Vox, which is an ios app for playing back FLAC files on a iPhone. Comparing it to FLAC from a USB in the car, I can't really tell a difference. The USB method is easier, bowever I have not found an easy way, or anyway for that matter, to create a playlist. I am just getting started with Vox, and I hope it will be an alternative to iTunes, I am not really a fan.
On another note. I have a 2016 Ford F150 with Sync 3, which did not come with Carplay. Searching forums after the 17's came out with Carplay I found that by simply changing the USB hub in the console, the system would allow me to use Carplay. Apparently Apple looks for something in the USB hub, and as long as it see's it allows the phone to connect. I have to believe Lexus doesn't have two versions of software for the 18/19 model year, so I would bet, with a USB upgrade, the 18's would be Carplay ready too. Just a thought.
Old 01-10-19, 01:08 PM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

For USB you have to create a series of directories under the root directory and the head unit will play each directory one by one. I haven't found any way to create a playlist that it can use. I starts with the first directory and plays through all the songs in the order in which they are listed and then goes to the next directory. It's very basic.
Old 01-10-19, 04:07 PM
vantage78
Pit Crew

I thought about your original question a bit more and here's my opinion -- Regardless of what type of file is streaming via Tidal, Tidal does the decoding and as such your head unit will only see what Tidal decodes. I don't see any option in the android or IOS Tidal app to use an external decoder.
just tried plugging in my iPhone into the usb. Everything works as if I’m streaming via Bluetooth. So if I download the tidal app, it seems to me like I should be able to output to the ML. Ill have to get an account to try it! I guess the question is, can my ears distinguish the quality to really test it out

Last edited by vantage78; 01-10-19 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-11-19, 07:12 AM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Tidal works on IOS via USB. As you say it will depend on how good your hearing is to determine if there's any benefit.
Old 02-03-19, 03:37 PM
vantage78
Pit Crew

Trying out Qobuz; direct 24bit/96 kHz and 24bit/192 kHz streams with no MQA decode needed. Sound sounds a tad fuller and louder. Not sure if it’s entirely worth it over Tidal HIFI’s 16-bit/44.1kHz. Streaming delivery a bit buggy, but I guess that’s expected for a beta service
Old 02-04-19, 02:22 PM
JCAvila
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a 2013 LS F Sport and my father bought 2018 LS500. We both have owned several LS (2007, 2008, 2013, 2015) all with the ML system. I get to hear them back to back for a true comparison. I will say that the level of detail on the new 3D system is in another league. Sounds just comes alive and all around you especially midrange frequencies. I love both systems but having spent more time driving and listening to the new setup I can say it's superior to my ears. The presentation takes a little getting used to but when I go back to my 2013 system suddenly all the sound stage sounds low in the dash and doors. That feeling of being in the middle of the mix goes away. Switching to 2D mode on the new system makes it sound more like my 2013 system. Turning on 3D is what engages the new ceiling speakers. Overall I prefer the 3D effect on. It's similar to what Dolby Surround on a system with Dolby Atmos speakers does. I have this type of system in my home. It turns two channel into multi channel and sounds fantastic. For me, the bass hits harder and deeper and tighter in the new system. Old system has more midbass so I can understand why it may sound less for some on the new setup. On a side note.. Buddy got a base 2018 LS500. For those who say there is no difference and the ML system is all hype loses all credibility when it comes to judging audio quality. There is absolutely no comparison. The ML system is night and day for sound quality, volume and presentation.
The following 2 users liked this post by JCAvila:
LexRuger (02-05-19), signdetres (02-05-19)
Old 02-04-19, 02:32 PM
JCAvila
Driver School Candidate

QUESTION..

What the hell was Lexus thinking by removing the ability to browse USB drive music while the car is moving?!! Every Lexus from 2007-2017 had the ability to look through folders/artists/songs while the car was moving. I carry 128gb of music and like to change music without having to stop the car especially on a road trip. I can't imagine having to pull over and stop just so I can pick a new album to play. This is a total and udder deal breaker for me. My father has a 2018 LS500 and we just made this grisly discovery. I was thinking about upgrading from my current LS460 F Sport to the new model but this has me questioning whether I even want this car. Listening to music while I drive is huge for me. Not being able to select music from my folders while driving will frustrate me to no end. This is my third Lexus and may be my last. So disappointed in Lexus. Terrible decision to remove that feature. Anyone else feel this way?
Old 02-05-19, 05:35 AM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

JCAvila: I'd suggest that you listen to a system that uses Dirac Live to see what systems are capable off. Everyone has different preferences when it comes to music. There's always the argument that if you tweak the sound then it's no longer bit perfect. I personally don't care for a system that sounds flat. I much prefer a little more bass, and treble while reducing the mid range a bit. Since you had a 2007 and 2008 LS with ML -- how did those systems compare to the ones in later models? If you left the tone controls flat then maybe there was no difference. However if you did tweak them you would have seen much better bass and "oomph" out of those systems compared to the current models.
Old 02-05-19, 06:07 AM
JCAvila
Driver School Candidate

JCAvila: I'd suggest that you listen to a system that uses Dirac Live to see what systems are capable off. Everyone has different preferences when it comes to music. There's always the argument that if you tweak the sound then it's no longer bit perfect. I personally don't care for a system that sounds flat. I much prefer a little more bass, and treble while reducing the mid range a bit. Since you had a 2007 and 2008 LS with ML -- how did those systems compare to the ones in later models? If you left the tone controls flat then maybe there was no difference. However if you did tweak them you would have seen much better bass and "oomph" out of those systems compared to the current models.
The sound of the 2007/2008 was the same. FYI, I listen to my system flat 90% of the time. I will occasionally bump up the bass/mid/treble one click when I'm listening at lower volumes. I always have surround engaged and do not ever use the auto volume feature as it makes things too boomy when listening to bass driven music. My 2013 LS ML system was dramatically different sounding than the 2007/2008 system. The whole system was completely re-EQ'd/calibrated even though it was the identical speaker array/setup. Mid range treble were distinctly clearer and bass from the rest of the speakers was increased. It seems like the crossover point to the subwoofer was altered to allow more low frequency through the smaller speakers. Also, in the 2013 system the detail I hear from the surround speakers and center channel is completely improved. Funny thing is I chose to update when they changed/freshened the body style and decided to go for the F Sport. I had no idea that the ML system would sound different. As I drove home that day and listened to familiar music (from a CD) I gasped. Never did I think that the system was going to be improved or sound any different from the previous version. Besides calibration I would guess they improved the digital amp design/DA converters. Hearing the 2018 LS500 ML system I believe that is true once again. The noise floor of the amp is better still. Music comes from a completely silent and transparent background full of detail. Besides the beautiful new design of the car, my motivation to upgrade is the new ML system. Sadly, they removed the ability to browse music while driving. I don't think I can live with that. This may be where I sign off from Lexus. In my family we have owned 1999 GS400, 2007 LS460, 2008 LS460, 2013 LS460 F Sport, 2014 ES350 Ultra, 2015 LS460 and 2018 LS500. Every car had the ML system except the GS400.
Old 02-05-19, 06:57 AM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

LOL - When I went from the 2008 to 2012 I thought the sub woofer was dead. I never tested out the sound system on the 2012 and drove it home late that evening. When I went to listen to it I heard zero bass. Thinking that it was dead I took it in and they had me try out other LS 460s on the lot. All of them were the same. My 2008 LS was still around so we listened to both and lo and behold the 2008 sounded much richer. Lexus detuned the bass on the 2012 model so that people did not blow up the amp. As you raised the volume it would actually cut the bass further.

Given that you set the tone controls flat you probably never missed the rich bass that the 2007 - 2009 models had. I have had a 2002, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2017 and now 2018 LS -- and the 2008 sounded the best of all the ML sound systems.

I have the Auto sound leveler turned on -- I'm going to try it out with it off.