GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Holy crap- Mark Levinson

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-13, 09:05 AM
Trocks797
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holy crap- Mark Levinson

As a new non-ML 3GS owner, I just made the biggest mistake ever. I had the opportunity to spend the day with a 2013 LS460 yesterday. I connected my phone and started listening, and honestly, I was so blown away by the sound I pulled over to dedicate 100% of my focus on just how....freaking incredible that sound system sounds.

I heard the ML in our GS is pretty weak, but my ML in my 02 430 was pretty good. But boys and girls, after hearing the ML in the 2013 LS, I can't even listen to the audio in my 350 without thinking about how much better it sounds in the 13 LS. I have never, in my short 25 years of life, heard music that rich, detailed, and....perfect. If you have the chance to experience this system, DEFINITELY PASS!

Now I know the LS houses ML's premium "reference" system, rivaled only by the LX.

I searched here and other places and discovered a lot of the sound has to do with the fact that ML uses metal cones instead of paper. The thing that I CAN"T STAND is scratchy, fuzzy noises coming from the speakers at full volume. That LS, even on 62, reproduced the voices, instruments... everything perfectly. I want a system that is loud AND clean. Don't care too much about lots of bass, but I suppose a sub would help.

TL;DR...Anybody know of any manufactures that make metal-coned speakers that fit our cars? I want the best possible speakers or other upgrades for my non-ML 3GS. Hoping to spend under $7,000.

I see several people here have installed various pieces of equipment that re tunes the audio system. Does this replace the amp in the trunk? I am willing to replace whatever necessary. I realize it won't match the LS $1,800 ML reference package, but I want to get as close as possible. Thank you all.
Old 02-15-13, 09:53 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How do you know their speaker uses metal?

the only one uses metal I know is the tweeter to produce the high pitch sound. But for the lower frequency sound paper combine with plastic is the best.
Old 02-15-13, 10:06 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

the ml system in LS and LX are completely in another league. the ML system in the 3gs is not that impressive at all. i had it, it didn't match our ls460 and sc430
Old 02-15-13, 10:09 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
the ml system in LS and LX are completely in another league. the ML system in the 3gs is not that impressive at all. i had it, it didn't match our ls460 and sc430

I had a '08 GS with ML and I agree.$1800 waste of money.
Old 02-15-13, 10:55 AM
drydeniv
Driver School Candidate

Without really getting into it, there are many users in the 3GS forums who have replaced their speakers, amplifiers, and put in other audio processors - and a lot of it has been well documented - there are many posts (in particular by audio_bob - i've read lots of hist posts) that are really helpful.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...o-install.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...r-upgrade.html

BUT, I would be very careful with just swapping the stock speakers for anything with a metal cone - the cone material alone isn't an indicator of what kind of sound it produces (though, generally metal cones can be 'sharper'). If you aren't careful with matching the speaker impedance, you can (fairly) easily blow your amplifier - and there's no guarantee that it'll sound any better. You'd probably have to put in speakers, audio processors, amplifiers to actually get a decent sounding & powerful system.

I have a 3GS with ML, but I am not convinced that the speakers are the problem - the processor (a gross dolby and dts blackbox with a SHARC processor, so not only does it have zero user configurable options, it's powerful enough to be doing who knows what....) and poor factory tuning are more likely to blame than anything... I've voiced my discontent with the ML in the 3GS many times, but have yet to do anything about it - I am thinking about the 3.sixty.3 processor - but it probably wouldn't be powerful enough to handle everything without extra amps - which is just too much to mess with at this time...
Old 02-15-13, 11:06 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

totally agree that the ML in the 2013 LS is very good, however it didn't garner that "WOW" factor for me. then again... i didn't connect my phone, i just listened to SAT radio. i'll connect my phone next time and see if i can garner a different result.
Old 02-15-13, 11:09 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
totally agree that the ML in the 2013 LS is very good, however it didn't garner that "WOW" factor for me. then again... i didn't connect my phone, i just listened to SAT radio. i'll connect my phone next time and see if i can garner a different result.
As good as the LS ML is,the B&O I heard recently in the A8 gave me the 'wow' factor.
Old 02-15-13, 11:35 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Yes I have to agree that the ML in the 3GS has its good and bad days, the LS is top notch and as someone said in another league. The bass is different though but a true audiophile would say the sound isnt that great compared to the LS.
Old 02-15-13, 12:12 PM
LexFather

The new GS ML is pretty good too, 875 or so watts....
Old 02-15-13, 12:48 PM
Mike1970
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for $6,999. you can all most do anything you want in audio lmao pimp your ride. make it happen
Old 02-15-13, 01:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
As good as the LS ML is,the B&O I heard recently in the A8 gave me the 'wow' factor.
agreed. the system in the LS is from 2007. back then, it was a ridiculously good system, beat everything on the street and quite a few reviews mentioned just how good the system is. it's still very good now, but i think a few other manufacturers have caught up.

can't wait for the next generation LS to come out and see how lexus up the bar

connecting a phone might not do the trick. it comes down to the snog (mp3) encoding which means it's always a compressed version. a well recorded CD or even better, a dvd-a / movie with digital surround will bring out the best in the system
Old 02-15-13, 01:23 PM
energie8
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

The ML in 3GS is pretty good, I think its even better than a recent Benz with H/K. I haven't heard the LX or LS ML system yet so I can't compare.
Old 02-15-13, 01:41 PM
texbanc
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The sound in my 09 460 GL ( ML) is worlds above my old 01 430 GS ( non ML ). Hard to compare the GS to the LS. LS is so much quieter.

Tex
Old 02-15-13, 01:48 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
The new GS ML is pretty good too, 875 or so watts....
835 watts in the new GS/LS. Fantastic sounding
Old 02-15-13, 02:08 PM
macKdaddy
Driver School Candidate

7k? LOL. You can honestly spend $500 and blow the ML sound system out of the water.

for 7,000, you're talking serious competition sound.

I have about ~1500 in audio upgrades in my car and its lovely! So you can definitely do it on a budget

Quick Reply: Holy crap- Mark Levinson