LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Jerking when releasing / engaging brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-18, 07:01 PM
franklexus
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default [SOLVED] Jerking when releasing / engaging brakes

I've been driving my LS for around 9 months now. I noticed the car jerks / lurches quite abruptly forward when I take my foot off the brakes slowly, and also when I brake slowly (it doesn't seem to engage properly). I don't remember experiencing this in my early days with the car. Wondering if anyone has the same experience? Thanks!

Problem solved: There is a TSB for this issue which reprograms the ECM: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ift-delay.html

Last edited by franklexus; 11-06-18 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-22-18, 10:40 PM
shinonclub
Rookie

Received 72 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by franklexus
I've been driving my LS for around 9 months now. I noticed the car jerks / lurches quite abruptly forward when I take my foot off the brakes slowly, and also when I brake slowly (it doesn't seem to engage properly). I don't remember experiencing this in my early days with the car. Wondering if anyone has the same experience? Thanks!
Which version of the LS 500 do you have? My LS500 regular version does not seem to have any problems with the break system.
Old 10-23-18, 06:35 AM
seanspeng
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I feel the same.
Old 10-23-18, 08:06 AM
franklexus
Driver

Originally Posted by shinonclub
Which version of the LS 500 do you have? My LS500 regular version does not seem to have any problems with the break system.
Originally Posted by seanspeng
I feel the same.
Thanks for the replies! I have the regular LS 500. I will bring it in to have them take a look at it.
Old 10-23-18, 09:18 AM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

I don't think what you're feeling is a break issue, it is a transmission issue. Gears 1-4 are not configured correctly. The lurching is most pronounced during gradual deceleration/acceleration.

Last edited by dsc07; 10-27-18 at 10:57 PM.
Old 10-24-18, 01:02 AM
AustinHusk
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like the same issue I have with my 2015 F Sport!
Old 10-27-18, 09:34 PM
franklexus
Driver

Originally Posted by dsc07
I don't think what you're feeling is a break issue, it is a transmission engine. Gears 1-4 are not configured correctly. The lurching is most pronounced during gradual deceleration/acceleration.
I've observed it a bit more and you're right! The lurch is very pronounced and definitely un-Lexus like!
Old 11-02-18, 04:47 PM
seanspeng
Driver School Candidate

Just finishing a service, advisor said jerkiness is because inadequate warm up. I asked how many minutes, he said 5-10 minutes warm up.
Old 11-02-18, 05:37 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by seanspeng
Just finishing a service, advisor said jerkiness is because inadequate warm up. I asked how many minutes, he said 5-10 minutes warm up.
Horsepucky!
Old 11-02-18, 05:54 PM
seanspeng
Driver School Candidate

Hope others can get some more insights when your maintenance is done. I was like: what? Every time I start my car, I need to wait for five minutes? Not even a grandma will do that!
Old 11-03-18, 10:03 AM
kghoshal
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Folks... this may help you. I had to literally get into a "science project" mode to get to the bottom of this issue. You may have caught one of my narratives on this exact topic under a different thread. Since then a fair amount of water has flown under the proverbial bridge in the past 3 weeks. Let me explain the lengths I went to... if it helps some of you fellow afflicted ones.

I received delivery of my LS500 back in Feb (one of the very first lots to arrive in the US). Being relatively cold that time of the year in Dallas, I attributed the "lurching" to cold-starts of the engine. Which turned out to be somewhat true... it'd lurch at EVERY cold start - and that could happen (in the cool season) for anything beyond a 6 hour stop for my car. Annoying at first, it started to become a nuisance after 3 months of driving... as it started to do the same after every gear shift from reverse to drive as well. The dealer - to be fair at that point in time - had not received such complaints from Dallas area owners/drivers of 5LS. They asked me to monitor (and I've been a client of this dealer for 20 years through 6 LSs in a series) the performance and report back, given that they no feedback from corporate Lexus re this issue at that time.

I just couldn't take it any more 3 weeks ago - after having driven for 8 months and approx 3K miles (yes, I tend to put on very few miles on my car). But it was long enough and enough miles for them to run "forensics" on the issue. After the last straw was had by me, I took it to the dealer and had them run all kinds of tests. They kept the car for observation and tests for two days, dedicated the head tech of the dealer, who in turn called upon Lexus corporate head techs.for answers (and YES, he was able to simulate the "lurch"). After two days, the dealership called and informed "unfortunately there is no known solution/fix for this issue". Apparently it is a firmware issue and Tokyo is aware of this (due to numerous inputs from the first-batch of buyers by now). There'll be a wholesale firmware patch on the 2018 5LS models once it's completed.

This is where I deviate from the usual LS story. Given the longevity of my relationship as a client to this dealer, they offered to "buy the car back" and fit me with a new LS. Which I proceeded to do two weeks ago. It's still a 2018 LS500 - but from the second batch of production. And in this case I upgraded from the base model to the model with enhanced package (the one with mark Levinson audio system). As of now, this is car has about 400 miles on it... have not experienced the acute lurch that I did with the previous one (fingers firmly crossed of course... it's only been 2 weeks) - don't know if the "upgraded" car has anything to do with transmission/firmware issues (I thought the upgrade was purely on the cosmetic side of things. However, if this helps any of the fellow afflicted ones... for whatever it's worth :-)
The following users liked this post:
crf69 (11-03-18)
Old 11-03-18, 12:09 PM
seanspeng
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for sharing. Mine is probably also 1st batch as it was released in February. Good to know the corporate acknowledged the issue and hope it's not a difficult fix and they will address it soon.
Old 11-03-18, 12:22 PM
franklexus
Driver

Thanks to all for sharing, much appreciated! Mine was the 1st batch too (got it in February). I've been driving my car around in Comfort mode ever since I got it. The lurch is more pronounced in that mode (I think the car somehow adapted to my style of driving). When I switched it to Normal mode recently, the lurch is much reduced. So I wonder if it is an issue of the transmission "adapting" incorrectly to the driving style over time... I've not had time to bring it in for the service. Perhaps those with the lurch can try switching to Comfort and see what happens.
Old 11-03-18, 01:38 PM
kghoshal
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many thanks for this tip. Actually hadn't thought of that angle. Am surprised the tech didn't suggest it either - unless they were able to simulate the jerky start-stop in all modes. I waiting to see if my new one start doing the same (currently driving in "comfort" mode).
Old 11-06-18, 04:01 PM
franklexus
Driver

Problem solved! Please see this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ift-delay.html