LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

2018 LS Spotted!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-17, 04:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

As was said before, the car isn't even on sale. No dealers have any stock.

The bottom line is that this kind of depreciation is the case with any car at this price point, and was also true of my ES350, I traded it after 3 years and got roughly half of its new purchase price. Bottom line is luxury cars depreciate quickly, all of them. If you aren't comfortable losing ~ 50% of its value in 3 years you shouldn't buy one.

However, value is in the eye of the beholder. I love cars, and the depreciation of this level of car which I immensely enjoy is part of the reality of driving one. It is what it is. I couldn't spend the amount of money I spend on my LS on anything else that would give me the level of enjoyment I get out of it, so such is life.

And all leases include gap insurance, on every car I've ever seen. You can try and make snide remarks about "renting" all you want. You're right, I do rent it, and I get to write it off my taxes and after tax it costs me less than $500 a month to drive an $80-$100k luxury sedan.
Old 12-05-17, 03:37 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS

The bottom line is that this kind of depreciation is the case with any car at this price point, and was also true of my ES350, I traded it after 3 years and got roughly half of its new purchase price. Bottom line is luxury cars depreciate quickly, all of them. If you aren't comfortable losing ~ 50% of its value in 3 years you shouldn't buy one.

However, value is in the eye of the beholder. I love cars, and the depreciation of this level of car which I immensely enjoy is part of the reality of driving one. It is what it is. I couldn't spend the amount of money I spend on my LS on anything else that would give me the level of enjoyment I get out of it, so such is life.

And all leases include gap insurance, on every car I've ever seen. You can try and make snide remarks about "renting" all you want. You're right, I do rent it, and I get to write it off my taxes and after tax it costs me less than $500 a month to drive an $80-$100k luxury sedan.
Your comment about depreciation is on point. It's all relative. If depreciation is that much of a worry for someone, then they shouldn't be buying a new car anyways (let alone one that is $100k).
Old 12-05-17, 06:02 PM
ilv1004s
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by wdlugitch
They should, shouldn't they?
i really dont know how to reply back on that quote
if you can afford to buy a flagship then your obviously well off
most welloff people do not stress over those kinda small details
Old 12-05-17, 07:16 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by ilv1004s
i really dont know how to reply back on that quote
if you can afford to buy a flagship then your obviously well off
most welloff people do not stress over those kinda small details
That I don't know about, most are because they are detail oriented, they just have the luxury of not stressing over small details ha
Old 12-06-17, 08:04 AM
wdlugitch
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You can't afford to buy it because of the price, but you can afford to lease it, which is YOUR rationale for leasing. Why should anyone be "comfortable" losing 50% of its value in 3 years? Why would anyone trade a car after 3 years? I'm sorry, but I have never felt "love" for a car, never leased a car, and never traded a car after 3 years. I love my girlfriend, I do not love my car.

Last edited by wdlugitch; 12-06-17 at 08:15 AM.
Old 12-06-17, 01:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You can't afford to buy it because of the price, but you can afford to lease it, which is YOUR rationale for leasing. Why should anyone be "comfortable" losing 50% of its value in 3 years? Why would anyone trade a car after 3 years? I'm sorry, but I have never felt "love" for a car, never leased a car, and never traded a car after 3 years. I love my girlfriend, I do not love my car.
I am more than capable of purchasing the car outright at any time, or any other mass market car available for sale I promise you. I lease for tax strategy and because I know I will want a new car after 3-4 years anyways, and leasing is the most cost effective way to accomplish that.

Again, you have your thresholds for comfort, and I have mine. You have your goals and things that are important to you, and I have mine. Clearly, plenty of people ARE comfortable with that type of depreciation because tens of thousands of cars at this price level with this amount of depreciation are sold every year. Who would trade a car after 3 years? Many, many people. Just look at all the 3 year old cars for sale. Who would love a car? Look at all the car enthusiasts on this site and in the world.

You do what you are comfortable with and what makes you happy, and I will do the same for me. I do not want to drive an ES, I can afford to drive a better car and I am comfortable with the much higher cost of doing that. I do not want to drive a car older than 3-4 years old. I can afford and am comfortable with the much higher cost of trading cars at that point. I'm not judging you, why do you seem to feel you need to judge me?

I don't understand your choices and you don't understand mine...and thats fine. You saying I lease because I can't afford to buy the car is no different than me saying you choose to drive the ES because you can no longer afford the LS (which is something I haven't said). You and I know nothing about each other so making assumptions like that is just silly.

Last edited by SW17LS; 12-06-17 at 01:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LS460Crown (12-12-19)
Old 12-06-17, 02:14 PM
wdlugitch
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I am more than capable of purchasing the car outright at any time, or any other mass market car available for sale I promise you. I lease for tax strategy and because I know I will want a new car after 3-4 years anyways, and leasing is the most cost effective way to accomplish that.

Again, you have your thresholds for comfort, and I have mine. You have your goals and things that are important to you, and I have mine. Clearly, plenty of people ARE comfortable with that type of depreciation because tens of thousands of cars at this price level with this amount of depreciation are sold every year. Who would trade a car after 3 years? Many, many people. Just look at all the 3 year old cars for sale. Who would love a car? Look at all the car enthusiasts on this site and in the world.

You do what you are comfortable with and what makes you happy, and I will do the same for me. I do not want to drive an ES, I can afford to drive a better car and I am comfortable with the much higher cost of doing that. I do not want to drive a car older than 3-4 years old. I can afford and am comfortable with the much higher cost of trading cars at that point. I'm not judging you, why do you seem to feel you need to judge me?

I don't understand your choices and you don't understand mine...and thats fine. You saying I lease because I can't afford to buy the car is no different than me saying you choose to drive the ES because you can no longer afford the LS (which is something I haven't said). You and I know nothing about each other so making assumptions like that is just silly.
I don't know anyone who leases a car for "tax strategy." I also don't know anyone who needs a new car after 3-4 years. I also don't know anyone who "loves" their car. As you stated, I don't know you.
Old 12-06-17, 02:31 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

Hmmm... Not sure I want to get into the middle of this minor squabble, but I definitely know people (like me) who lease cars as a business tax strategy. And while it's true virtually all new cars last far longer than 3-4 years, so technically no one really "needs" a new car that often, I would guess there is a huge population of car enthusiasts who replace their cars that often.

As for me, I am an unabashed car freak who will fully admit that I LOVE my cars. That's why I buy such nice ones, and I'd guess that the majority of forum members would admit to "loving" their LSs. If there's no passion to be had in the car ownership experience, everyone would just buy Toyota Corollas and treat their car like a washing machine (i.e., no passion whatsoever)...

I think Steve summed it up right when he basically said there's no right or wrong answer, and that each car is "worth" what the owner thinks it's worth.
Old 12-06-17, 05:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Some people just have a really hard time looking past themselves and their own wants, needs, goals etc and understanding that other people have different wants, needs and goals. Clearly that’s what’s happening here.

If people didnt replace cars every 3 years, there wouldn’t be any 3 year old cars to buy. Clearly there are. If people didn’t love their cars there wouldn’t be car forums all over the Internet, people wouldn’t modify their cars, there wouldn’t be car clubs and tv networks and shows devoted to cars. So on and on.

As for not knowing anybody who leases for tax purposes, must not know any businesspeople. I can name 40 right off the top of my head that lease for tax reasons. Every accountant I have ever had or financial planner I have ever had has told me to lease for my situation. Just today I rode in my friend’s new E Class he leased for tax purposes. This guy makes $600k, he’s a very wealthy guy.

I know people who spend $35k on a watch, $8k on a purse. I don’t understand that and would never do that myself, but I’m not going to call them “wrong”. They earn their money just like I do and they can do what they want. Case closed.
The following 3 users liked this post by SW17LS:
Dave144239 (12-07-17), plex (12-07-17), signdetres (12-06-17)
Old 12-07-17, 04:32 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Ok guys lets agree to disagree. Lets get back to the LS and less on back and forth's!
Some people just have a really hard time looking past themselves and their own wants, needs, goals etc and understanding that other people have different wants, needs and goals. Clearly that’s what’s happening here.

If people didnt replace cars every 3 years, there wouldn’t be any 3 year old cars to buy. Clearly there are. If people didn’t love their cars there wouldn’t be car forums all over the Internet, people wouldn’t modify their cars, there wouldn’t be car clubs and tv networks and shows devoted to cars. So on and on.

As for not knowing anybody who leases for tax purposes, must not know any businesspeople. I can name 40 right off the top of my head that lease for tax reasons. Every accountant I have ever had or financial planner I have ever had has told me to lease for my situation. Just today I rode in my friend’s new E Class he leased for tax purposes. This guy makes $600k, he’s a very wealthy guy.

I know people who spend $35k on a watch, $8k on a purse. I don’t understand that and would never do that myself, but I’m not going to call them “wrong”. They earn their money just like I do and they can do what they want. Case closed.
I don't know anyone who leases a car for "tax strategy." I also don't know anyone who needs a new car after 3-4 years. I also don't know anyone who "loves" their car. As you stated, I don't know you.

I stand corrected. The ones on the Longo website are LC500. NO new LS are on their website.
I live in Southern California and the largest Lexus dealer is Longo in El Monte. There are seven (7) LS500 on their website, inventory, and they range from $98,145 to $105,624.
Not only are those photos not appealing, neither is the reality (and no one here has denied it) that this now $100K+ car WILL be worth half in 2020; those who lease it had better buy GAP..
Ignored moderator request. Please do not carry this forward to future threads
The following 3 users liked this post by DaveGS4:
aypues (12-09-17), DavidinCT (12-08-17), wdlugitch (12-08-17)