LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

2018 LS Spotted!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-17, 09:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by wdlugitch
Enjoy! I considered, multiple times, buying another LS; I previously bought a new 1997 LS. Each time I considered the depreciation, and mileage and each time I decided against another LS. I noticed you have a 2015 LS. How do you feel about its depreciation and mileage?
The depreciation and mileage don't bother me at all. If I cared about depreciation and mileage I wouldn't be buying this sort of car. I love the car, its a huge upgrade from the ES, smoother, quieter, more refined, more powerful, more comfortable. Is it more expensive to fuel? Yes. Is it more expensive to own? Yes. Lots of things that are better cost more. I considered a 13 ES to replace my 10 ES and looked at the hybrid, no interest at all. I hate the drivetrain and the feel and sound of the hybrid and CVT. Not for me. Better mileage? I couldn't care less.

Nothing against the ES, there were times in my life where I owned the ES because thats what made sense for me financially, but at this point I would just keep my LS vs buying a new ES if I could no longer afford to or want to spend the money on a new LS. I'd rather have an old LS than a new ES.

The point is, this is the 2018 LS forum. I'm glad you like your ES, you have a forum to discuss that in, so quit trolling us here.

Last edited by SW17LS; 11-30-17 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-30-17, 10:22 AM
wdlugitch
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The depreciation and mileage don't bother me at all. If I cared about depreciation and mileage I wouldn't be buying this sort of car. I love the car, its a huge upgrade from the ES, smoother, quieter, more refined, more powerful, more comfortable. Is it more expensive to fuel? Yes. Is it more expensive to own? Yes. Lots of things that are better cost more. I considered a 13 ES to replace my 10 ES and looked at the hybrid, no interest at all. I hate the drivetrain and the feel and sound of the hybrid and CVT. Not for me. Better mileage? I couldn't care less.

Nothing against the ES, there were times in my life where I owned the ES because thats what made sense for me financially, but at this point I would just keep my LS vs buying a new ES if I could no longer afford to or want to spend the money on a new LS. I'd rather have an old LS than a new ES.

The point is, this is the 2018 LS forum. I'm glad you like your ES, you have a forum to discuss that in, so quit trolling us here.
"Trolling?" I am well aware this is the 2018 LS forum; I have been a member of this club since 2002, and can and will discuss the LS versus ES in this forum. I do not agree with your statement that the LS is "a huge upgrade from the ES, smoother, quieter, more refined, more powerful, more comfortable," but do agree that it is more expensive to fuel and own. Would you consider replacing your 2015 LS with a 2018 LS?

Last edited by wdlugitch; 11-30-17 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-30-17, 10:35 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Would I consider replacing my 2015 with a 2018? Absolutely.

Again, I’m glad you are happy with your ES, if you want to discuss it and how you feel it’s superior, the ES forum is the place to do that. Ask a moderator about that if you’d like to. You’re off topic here.
Old 11-30-17, 10:59 AM
wdlugitch
Pit Crew

Would I consider replacing my 2015 with a 2018? Absolutely.

Again, I’m glad you are happy with your ES, if you want to discuss it and how you feel it’s superior, the ES forum is the place to do that. Ask a moderator about that if you’d like to. You’re off topic here.
DO IT!

I never said the ES is "superior;" that is your word. The topic here is the LS, but it is not limited to the LS.
Old 11-30-17, 11:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The vehicle is not yet for sale, and my lease on my LS460 isn’t up.

Again, ask the moderators whether discussion of the ES in this thread is appropriate.
Old 11-30-17, 11:05 AM
wdlugitch
Pit Crew

The vehicle is not yet for sale, and my lease on my LS460 isn’t up.

Again, ask the moderators whether discussion of the ES in this thread is appropriate.
Yesterday I posted " I looked at $90K in my bank account and it looked better than that car." Didn't YOU reply " To somebody who drives a lesser car, they might look at the $45,000 in their bank account and think it looks better than an ES Hybrid too. Its all relative."

I don't have to ask anyone whether discussion of the ES in this thread is appropriate; this thread is about the 2018 LS, and YOU stated how it contrasts with the ES. YOU ask the moderator if you want.

Last edited by wdlugitch; 11-30-17 at 12:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
aypues (12-09-17)
Old 11-30-17, 11:54 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

out in the wild! where in cali?
Old 11-30-17, 01:13 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jadu
out in the wild! where in cali?
It was in Redondo Beach. I'm not normally in the South Bay, so it was my lucky day to see it. I was trying to see who was driving it while in Starbucks so I could ask their opinion , but the place was packed and I was in a rush.
Old 11-30-17, 01:44 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Upland, which is north of Ontario and south of Mount Baldy
Originally Posted by COOLIS
It was in Redondo Beach. I'm not normally in the South Bay, so it was my lucky day to see it. I was trying to see who was driving it while in Starbucks so I could ask their opinion , but the place was packed and I was in a rush.
awesome. sounds like they were taking the scenic route.

On another note, my coworker spotted the new Supra in its camouflage down in San Diego a few weeks back. He and I came to the conclusion he was also taking the scenic route and went racing, in Mexico lol
Old 11-30-17, 06:07 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Dude, an LS isn't twice the car compared to an ES but it's close. I say this as a happy ES owner. The new LS is pretty and audacious enough to take on the Panamera, whereas the previous model couldn't compete against the stodgy S-class (apologies to Steve).

Maybe I should start a crowd funding page for a new LS500h...
Old 11-30-17, 06:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No apologies necessary to me! I agree, I have an LS over an S Class because of cost.

Last edited by SW17LS; 11-30-17 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-30-17, 07:06 PM
ilv1004s
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

i dont think people who buy ls really care about depreciation or running cost
Old 11-30-17, 07:09 PM
wdlugitch
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ilv1004s
i dont think people who buy ls really care about depreciation or running cost
They should, shouldn't they?
Old 11-30-17, 07:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

They should, shouldn't they?
Who’s to say what people should and shouldn’t worry about? You worry about things you want to worry about.

Choosing a flagship sedan and worrying about gas mileage is like going to the best steakhouse in town and worrying about which steak has the fewest calories IMHO.

You don’t see the value and that’s fine, but that doesn’t mean other people are wrong because they don’t share your ideas about value. I’m not going to go over to an S550 forum and badger them about their higher depreciation and their choices to spend more than I do. Their car is better than mine and that’s okay, I’m happy with what I have and what I chose to pay. The LS is clearly a better car than the ES, you chose not to pay for that and that’s fine.

The absurd statement is that the all new state of the art LS500 is not a better car than your pre-refresh entry level ES. That statement is just absurd lol. The only area it isn’t better is gas mileage, and that’s not something I even compare when looking at a car. I couldn’t even tell you what sort of mileage any of my cars get. The gas mileage is only notably worse compared to the hybrid, compared to the 350 the LS mileage is surprisingly similar.

Last edited by SW17LS; 11-30-17 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-01-17, 06:31 AM
wdlugitch
Pit Crew

Who’s to say what people should and shouldn’t worry about? You worry about things you want to worry about.

Choosing a flagship sedan and worrying about gas mileage is like going to the best steakhouse in town and worrying about which steak has the fewest calories IMHO.

You don’t see the value and that’s fine, but that doesn’t mean other people are wrong because they don’t share your ideas about value. I’m not going to go over to an S550 forum and badger them about their higher depreciation and their choices to spend more than I do. Their car is better than mine and that’s okay, I’m happy with what I have and what I chose to pay. The LS is clearly a better car than the ES, you chose not to pay for that and that’s fine.

The absurd statement is that the all new state of the art LS500 is not a better car than your pre-refresh entry level ES. That statement is just absurd lol. The only area it isn’t better is gas mileage, and that’s not something I even compare when looking at a car. I couldn’t even tell you what sort of mileage any of my cars get. The gas mileage is only notably worse compared to the hybrid, compared to the 350 the LS mileage is surprisingly similar.
I do not see the value, and I also do not rent my Lexus.

Quick Reply: 2018 LS Spotted!