LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

First Thread LS500

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-17, 03:24 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts
Default First Thread LS500

Wow first thread in the new 5th generation LS section. Cant wait to see the new LS500! I'll be lining up to see what this controversial V6 is really like. This will surely be a busy section come around november.
Old 02-09-17, 07:04 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Hi LS430FL, Looks like no one wants to join the party yet I figured I will give you some company.

I think the V6 will be a strong performer. Some people are just bummed out about not having a V8 option. It will be really nice to see a side by side comparison of the 2017 LS460L and 2018LS500.

Last edited by comotiger; 02-10-17 at 03:21 AM.
Old 02-09-17, 11:00 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Hey guys! I just had to stop in, say hello and be part of CL history!
Looking very forward to seeing the car this Saturday at the Chicago Auto Show as well as who will be the first member here to purchase the LS500.
Exciting times indeed!
Old 02-10-17, 03:27 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Nice going, CRowe! If you happen to get up close and maybe even sit in it, take some pics of that pseudo-display on the passenger side of the dash. Find out whether it turns on as an ambient lighting feature.
Old 02-10-17, 06:39 AM
tofu
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think I'm gonna stick with my LS460 until it dead !!!!
Old 02-10-17, 08:18 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by comotiger
Nice going, CRowe! If you happen to get up close and maybe even sit in it, take some pics of that pseudo-display on the passenger side of the dash. Find out whether it turns on as an ambient lighting feature.
Good buddy-Roger that!! I'll do my best to capture all that I can and report back with photos!

Originally Posted by tofu
I think I'm gonna stick with my LS460 until it dead !!!!
Not a bad plan at all! I think many will until the 500 get a good few years under its belt.
But then again, it is a Lexus product, and I don't suspect too many issues.
I really think they have learned a lot about the few redundant issues that have plagued the LS460 in its infancy, got them right and continued on with putting together a solid vehicle in the 500.
Just really, really hope the charged V6 is every bit as smooth as the V8.
Old 02-10-17, 10:03 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Curious how long before this forum actually starts filling up. Of course, this will be dependent on how many people buy this thing, but I browse the GSF and RCF forum and I can't imagine those cars are high-volume sellers, however those forums still move.

Other than Sydtoosic, who already mentioned is getting one, I wonder what other member here will be the first to own it. I can't recall any other regulars mentioning a surefire purchase decision.
Old 02-10-17, 10:17 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Just wanted to see how the other half lived. Now I'll mosey on over back over to my shack. ;-)
Old 02-10-17, 10:24 AM
LS430FL
Instructor

Thanks for the company over here guys! CRoew, I would also love to see non-press release photos of the car as well. The car is starting to grow on me. Can't wait to see it at my local dealer.
Old 02-10-17, 11:51 AM
jainla
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

The LA auto show was too early. We didn't even get the LF-FC.

I'm hoping the dealers will throw a launch party for it like they did for the LS460. The look is growing on me but still sad about the lack of V8, at least in the base model.

LSF! LSF!
Old 02-10-17, 11:52 AM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My guess will be that anyone that buys the new LS will say the engine is "fantastic" and they "can't notice it's a V6" or that "I won't miss the V8" etc.... But that will be a natural reaction after shelling out the big buck$. I still think the V8 in a flagship product is a must, or at least it should be an option.
Old 02-10-17, 12:59 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rhambler
Curious how long before this forum actually starts filling up. Of course, this will be dependent on how many people buy this thing, but I browse the GSF and RCF forum and I can't imagine those cars are high-volume sellers, however those forums still move.

Other than Sydtoosic, who already mentioned is getting one, I wonder what other member here will be the first to own it. I can't recall any other regulars mentioning a surefire purchase decision.
I haven't seen anyone say this either. I know that Steve made slight mention of possibly thinking about it. Other than that, not sure.

Originally Posted by R Z
Just wanted to see how the other half lived. Now I'll mosey on over back over to my shack. ;-)
This is too funny! Though Lexus grouped the '13-'17 together with the '07-'12, I still feel like they are different cars, so with the debut of the 500, I kinda feel like I own a 430!

Originally Posted by LS430FL
Thanks for the company over here guys! CRoew, I would also love to see non-press release photos of the car as well. The car is starting to grow on me. Can't wait to see it at my local dealer.
Not a problem! I'll take what I can most definitely, as Im looking very forward to seeing quite a few cars. Its growing on me as well. Its outta my price range but this being my first LS, I've fallen in love with the refinement, and would definitely keep a used LS in mind regarding a future sedan purchase.

Originally Posted by Luxofreak
My guess will be that anyone that buys the new LS will say the engine is "fantastic" and they "can't notice it's a V6" or that "I won't miss the V8" etc.... But that will be a natural reaction after shelling out the big buck$. I still think the V8 in a flagship product is a must, or at least it should be an option.
Agreed. But I am beginning to wonder just how much of this sentiment is psychological and just being accustomed to the power plant of the LS, for the past 10 years, possessing a V8.
You can do things technically to boost numbers add performance etc., but its difficult to think anything can replace that natural feel...that effortless feeling that accompanies gentle to aggressive acceleration of the 460 V8, especially on the highway...that's priceless.
Old 02-10-17, 05:28 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Originally Posted by CRowe14
I haven't seen anyone say this either. I know that Steve made slight mention of possibly thinking about it. Other than that, not sure.

This is too funny! Though Lexus grouped the '13-'17 together with the '07-'12, I still feel like they are different cars, so with the debut of the 500, I kinda feel like I own a 430!

Not a problem! I'll take what I can most definitely, as Im looking very forward to seeing quite a few cars. Its growing on me as well. Its outta my price range but this being my first LS, I've fallen in love with the refinement, and would definitely keep a used LS in mind regarding a future sedan purchase.

Agreed. But I am beginning to wonder just how much of this sentiment is psychological and just being accustomed to the power plant of the LS, for the past 10 years, possessing a V8.
You can do things technically to boost numbers add performance etc., but its difficult to think anything can replace that natural feel...that effortless feeling that accompanies gentle to aggressive acceleration of the 460 V8, especially on the highway...that's priceless.

Used is the best way to buy them! Let someone else take the loss the first few years and we still get a great car!
Old 02-11-17, 06:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

You'll have an influx of new members buying them too.

Dare I say I have really come around on the TTV6. I came to the realization when playing with pricing for the 7 series, I would never pony up for the V8 750 and had the 5LS had a standard 6 and V8 option I likely would not have either because of the cost involved. I would on the G90 probably because it's only $1,500. But the 750 starts $13k more than the 740. Better equipped, but I would be purposefully careful with options on the 740 to save cost.

Assuming the V6 LS500 starts early to mid 80s which I think is where it likely will and should be, if a V8 5LS started in the 90s I would choose the 6.

That and coming to the realization I didn't feel the engines in the V6 G90, TTV6 CT6, or 740 I've driven felt measurably less refined than my LS460 have brought me around.
Old 02-11-17, 07:23 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Between just how quiet most all cars have become due to design, sound deadening, et al, I realize that a TTV6 can be all but inaudible. I think the ultimate question that a prospective 5LS buyer (provided it is TTV6 and hybrid or bust) needs to ask themselves is how long do they intend to keep the vehicle?

While it can be argued that a 460 might not be quite as bulletproof as especially say a 99 or 2000 LS400 or LS430 for that matter, they are certainly good for 200,000 miles plus drivetrain wise and there are a few on AT with close to 250,000 miles.

With turbos, even with the myriad advancements made are still going to need replacement best case at 150,000 miles and most likely 100,000 miles provided you want anywhere near the performance of the car as new.

Moreover, for almost 20 years Lexus did not use forced induction. This was certainly not because Toyota does not have experience in this area, but rather they were building a Luxury brand from scratch and for practically decades you could pick any model and know it could go past 200,000 miles most usually without any major failure provided even a semblance of preventative maintenance was preformed.
I realize CAFE standards and the European demands on CO2 and emissions played a huge part in this wholesale change across all types of cars. Hell, the base Porsche 911 is now turbocharged.

If planning on leasing (exceedingly popular in this segment) then that would not give me a moments pause. If you are the type that plans on keeping a car 10 years plus, this is a real concern and this is not even accounting for some potential weak link ala the control arm issue that the majority of 460 owners have to contend with.

Quick Reply: First Thread LS500