LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Control Arms

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-21, 04:41 AM
Thegamemhb
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Thegamemhb
Hahaha where were you before gonna try it next time 🙊
Originally Posted by macLexy55
sorry, I thought it was obvious that I was not changing the 8 control arms because the bushes had gone .... that is stretching it even for the car shops to try a pull a stunt like that 🙄

Plus the age of the car is a big tell tale sign that the arms are just about completely gone

I dont live in US so i dont know any junk yards there but ya people here can help you out on that hahah you dont know what mechanics can do to get money 💰... Well i guess you are all set for the new control arms if you really want to spend money on it else you can adjust the shocks if you want to save the money but it all goes on your decision and understanding

P.s if you want to know any parts prices etc from dubai i am here for you ..

Last edited by Thegamemhb; 02-14-21 at 04:45 AM.
Old 02-14-21, 05:51 AM
lwphat66
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 320 Posts

I hear you and agree with you, it doesn't fill my heart with joy to spend this amount if not required. But replacing the bushes would not resolve the issue of the control arms rubbing against the shocks, hence the reason for replacing.
sorry, I thought it was obvious that I was not changing the 8 control arms because the bushes had gone .... that is stretching it even for the car shops to try a pull a stunt like that 🙄

Plus the age of the car is a big tell tale sign that the arms are just about completely gone
Could you please post pics of the control arms rubbing against the shocks, as I have not read of an issue like this before. I can only imagine the root cause would be worn bushings and/or ball joints not the control arms themselves. Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
macLexy55 (02-16-21)
Old 02-14-21, 05:56 AM
Thegamemhb
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lwphat66
Could you please post pics of the control arms rubbing against the shocks, as I have not read of an issue like this before. I can only imagine the root cause would be worn bushings and/or ball joints not the control arms themselves. Thanks!
I would agree with you and wanted to see the pics myself .
Old 02-14-21, 06:06 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

That’s a great price, I’d do that in a heartbeat.

But you mention VSC lights and actuator...that will be more expensive than your control arm estimate you received from that shop. And hopefully that’s NOT what you have going on (those lights on the dash), because that is not your control arms...that very well could be your actuator. And that’s a much different story.

Regarding your control arms — The geometry of the suspension design places a LOT of stress on the upper arms, you will likely have to replace them again (and probably a lot sooner than you think). I couldn’t get more than 50,000 miles out of my control arms, BUT when they failed again it was only the uppers...and they are a piece of cake to replace. And really quite inexpensive. Honestly, a beginner tech can do the uppers in less than an hour and a half. I was able to replace them myself in under an hour. Easy.

So, next time around...just replace the uppers. Because the bottoms are probably going to be fine.
Old 02-14-21, 07:14 AM
macLexy55
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

🙄 I asked if you knew of any junk yards because I see that you live in Sharjah. I live in a little place nearby called Dubai.
Old 02-14-21, 07:21 AM
macLexy55
Driver

Thanks for your feedback. Yes the VSC light is not related to the control arms, this will be my next issue to fix. I had the car hooked up to the computer for the VSC issue and it came up catalytic converter 3 times. So I will have it checked after control arms job is done to see what cats need replaced, assuming it is this of course
Old 02-14-21, 07:23 AM
macLexy55
Driver

.... also I meant to ask, how long do you reckon to fit all 8 control arms ?
Old 02-14-21, 07:24 AM
Thegamemhb
Intermediate

🙄 I asked if you knew of any junk yards because I see that you live in Sharjah. I live in a little place nearby called Dubai.
Hahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhaahhahahahahahahahahahhahaah damnnnn broooooooo send me your whatsapp number i will send you the junkyards number there bro plus its better to get a mechanic in ajman much cheaper compared to dxb and shj
Old 02-14-21, 07:25 AM
Thegamemhb
Intermediate

I have both 420 and 430 cat errors i can tell you about that too
Old 02-14-21, 07:27 AM
macLexy55
Driver

I'm all ears 👂👂please do.
Old 02-14-21, 07:30 AM
macLexy55
Driver

Thanks all for your input. Yes I will post photos next time its on the ramp.
Old 02-14-21, 07:38 AM
macLexy55
Driver

Sorry, didn't quite follow what you meant when you said 'you could only imagine the root cause would be worn bushings and/or ball joints not the control arms themselves'

I can only take from that you mean that you don't think the control arm is rubbing against the shock. I can confirm that I seen for myself when the car went up on the ramp at the car shop.

Just to confirm it is actually touching for sure.

As mentioned in my first post, all ball joints and bushings will be replaced too, along with all brake discs getting skimmed. I thought it was a very reasonable price for all.
Old 02-14-21, 08:07 AM
Thegamemhb
Intermediate

Sorry, didn't quite follow what you meant when you said 'you could only imagine the root cause would be worn bushings and/or ball joints not the control arms themselves'

I can only take from that you mean that you don't think the control arm is rubbing against the shock. I can confirm that I seen for myself when the car went up on the ramp at the car shop.

Just to confirm it is actually touching for sure.

As mentioned in my first post, all ball joints and bushings will be replaced too, along with all brake discs getting skimmed. I thought it was a very reasonable price for all.
Bro the price is not reasonable if you are here in dubai plus which aftermarket arms are you getting the brand name
Old 02-14-21, 08:10 AM
Thegamemhb
Intermediate

I paid 500 aed for labor replacing the 8 arms and 2 rear brake pads plus he did a oil change for me aswell
Old 02-16-21, 04:04 AM
macLexy55
Driver

Default Control Arms

Quick Reply: Control Arms