LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Adding/piggy backing an additional trunk light (for sub enclosure)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-19, 10:52 AM
bigsherv
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Adding/piggy backing an additional trunk light (for sub enclosure)

Hi Guys,

This is a slightly different trunk lighting question that what is typically posted here. I am having a side mounted fiberglass enclosure made for a JL W6 sub. I decided to ask the fabricator if he can add a Lexus emblem that is LED lit just to make it look nice. Here is what I was hoping to have it work.

1. I want the LED logo to turn on and off with the normal trunk light which I had already updated to LED.
2. I want a toggle switch if I ever want the LED emblem off (or if it looks really dumb) I can turn it off independent of the trunk light. I understand that if It will never come on if the trunk light is off.
3. I want some type of harness from the sub woofer enclosure where I can cleanly disconnect the light, so I no bare wire is exposed. (If I remove the sub enclosure I can disconnect speaker wire from the terminals and “unplug” the light.)

How can I do this easily? Brace yourself for dumb questions. I would rather ask first then black tape it all up and cause a problem.

I saw a guy on an Audi forum “add a trunk light” but he bought a plug and play piggy back harness. He just plugged the piggy back harness into the existing harness which created 2 places to plug in oem trunk lights, creating two working lights without any splicing. Does anything like this exist for Lexus/Toyota?

If that doesn’t work can I just do this?

Can I buy quick splices and tap into the connection before the OEM trunk lamp, run those two wires to a toggle switch, and then connect those two wires to some type of harness for the LED emblem?

Dumb Questions
  1. I don’t have a soldering iron but I am not opposed to buying one and learning I know soldering is better than t-taps and other quick ways to connect wire. Is soldering a must?
  2. Am I looking for a toggle switch with only two terminals? Can I buy
    this type this type
    and if I do what do I do with the extra wires?
  3. What type of harness/connection am I looking for to disconnect the light when removing the sub woofer?
  4. Do I need a fuse for this LED emblem? I was thinking no since one already is utilized for the OEM trunk light.
Sorry if this all seems really elementary. I could not find anything like this except where people add trunk lighting independent of the trunk lights (like a whole lighting system) or simply upgrading the trunk lights via retrofitting the bulbs.
Old 07-17-19, 01:44 PM
bigsherv
Intermediate

Thanks for the reply.

Can the trunk light not manage everything including powering the LED emblem? I know I could tap into the new amps power but I imagined this would involve the least amount of mixing of things. Power for lights come from the lighting wiring. Power for sound comes from the same amp.

Originally Posted by FunFact
It should be pretty simple, especially since you’re running a subwoofer. You’ll be using a relay, and you will have to attach a wire to the trunk light that will act as the trigger for the light. You can even add a simple Open/closed switch to the trigger wire to turn the feature on and off.
Then you wire from the power wire from either the subwoofer positive wire or another always-on 12V hot wire. Obviously ground as appropriate, too.

It’d be very simple and you could have the wire harness on the subwoofer with a twisting connector if you plan on having the subwoofer be removable.
Old 07-18-19, 08:55 AM
bigsherv
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FunFact
It might be able to, but your risk is that you blow fuses or have excessive resistance that destroys wiring. One is tedious, the other expensive. Considering you’re already running wiring, it’s much safer to run an external 12V source.
Two questions

1.Can I add a fuse in between the second light and the splice and solve this?

2. Wouldn’t both LED’s utilize less power than the original incandescent bulb that was already in there?