LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

So how's your Ls460 aging?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-19, 03:54 PM
xfea
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlacck
For me personally it's not so much about having the most best TEC but about having technology that makes the driving experience more enjoyable.

I sit in Atlanta traffic which can be very congested as it is notoriously known for. Having a car that can transverse that congestion while isolating me from the drag of the traffic is what I am ultimately seeking. A car that gives me the technology to experience that isolation by being "immersed in the car" would be the ultimate goal of mine.

Things like a great sound system, different audio options, comfort, and driving assistance are technologies allows a car to serve you better in my opinion. It would be like having a tagline that asks "does your car take care of you in traffic!?"

In any case, I asked about the aging of these vehicles because some of the cars in my price range have great tech, but hit and miss reliability. The Lexus seems like it's behind the times in that area but I think only current owners can really answer to that.
I'm with you - I miss the radar adaptive cruise - the USB-C ports - the large flat screen.
Funny how new seemingly unneeded features quickly become must haves.
Heated steering wheel? A must!
Heated / cooled seats? A must!
Adaptive cruse? A must!

I spent a long weekend driving a new BMW X7 xDrive50i with ALL the options...

Now I need heated / cooled drink holders!

And some serious seat time in a TESLA 3 and S - sooooo quick - so quiet - and all the tech you can handle...
Old 06-14-19, 04:11 PM
demark1
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I have same issue. I have a 2005 LS430 Ultimate. Adaptive Cruise was rare but not THAT rare... Just buy the Ultimate. In LS460s it seems much rarer... Also I tried a couple of years ago a 2012 vs 2013 LS460. I really preferred the feel of the 2012 (not to mention disliking the Nave system with the joystick thingy). The 2012 I happened to drive felt smoother to me (not sure if others agree) and I REALLY liked it. The 2013 not so much.

One other thing is that it seems the drivers seats in the 2013 and later show much more wear... Not general leather wear thatyo get, but especially on the bolsters... I got my 2005 LS430 in 2009 and still have it. Seat has gotten worn after 14 years / 140k miles, but the 2013+ leather is different and seems to wear worse. Makes me not like the car so much, even were I to have purchased new.
Old 06-14-19, 07:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by xfea
I'm with you - I miss the radar adaptive cruise - the USB-C ports - the large flat screen.
Funny how new seemingly unneeded features quickly become must haves.
Heated steering wheel? A must!
Heated / cooled seats? A must!
Adaptive cruse? A must!

I spent a long weekend driving a new BMW X7 xDrive50i with ALL the options...

Now I need heated / cooled drink holders!

And some serious seat time in a TESLA 3 and S - sooooo quick - so quiet - and all the tech you can handle...
Option then is to spend $90,000 on something new with all of those features and the quality of the LS if that's what you want. Not a lot of people comparing a 5 year old LS and a new X7. All about tradeoffs, if you're buying a used car its going to lack modern tech.

Originally Posted by demark1
I have same issue. I have a 2005 LS430 Ultimate. Adaptive Cruise was rare but not THAT rare... Just buy the Ultimate. In LS460s it seems much rarer... Also I tried a couple of years ago a 2012 vs 2013 LS460. I really preferred the feel of the 2012 (not to mention disliking the Nave system with the joystick thingy). The 2012 I happened to drive felt smoother to me (not sure if others agree) and I REALLY liked it. The 2013 not so much.
The 13 and the 12 are largely the same. Any difference you felt came down to condition of the car, tires, etc. In fact, a lot of changes were made to the 13+ that improved quietness, ride, chassis rigidity, etc.

Originally Posted by FunFact
If they don’t have the semi-aniline leather option the material seems to show wear terribly fast.
This is defiantly true. My 15 had the standard leather and my 17 has the semi-aniline and the semi-aniline is MUCH better.
Old 06-15-19, 03:50 AM
Jlacck
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think everyone has made some strong and valid points. It sounds like people aren't buying the Lexus for the tech, but for the ride itself. Perhaps in the process sacrificing cutting edge technology for peace of mind and great ride quality is more alluring.

I'm actually looking for a second car, and was considering the 2012-2014. My fear about the 2012 was that after paying off the car, it'll be about 10 years old. This means the tech which was already a little dated (by 2012 standards) might be about 15 years old when finished! Woops, time for a new car already!! 🙁🙁

The interior on the 2013+ seems more modem and maybe the ride is more plush. But I'm gathering that many people aren't really too crazy about how the technology is implemented in those model years.

However, I admit, it really is hard to match the refinement of the LS in ride quality and reliability, but damnit give me some tech along with that too!!!
The following users liked this post:
Soldier76 (06-22-19)
Old 06-15-19, 06:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I think the 13 refresh made the car a lot more modern. Tech is better, interface is more modern, you get some tech cool gadgets like the enform/remote start app. Had the 10-12 model been what was available when I chose the LS460 new I wouldn't have gotten one.

People complain about the remote touch, but in reality when you get used to it it works fine. Most people who complain about it try it one time on a test drive.

I've driven basically everything out there remotely comparable, and nothing rides better than my LWB LS460L with air suspension. Other cars ride as well, S Class, A8, 7 Series, G90 all great riding cars also (the current versions, previous generations dont ride as well as the LS460), but outside of say a Rolls Royce, nothing rides better.
Jlacck (06-15-19)
Old 06-15-19, 08:06 AM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlacck
However, I admit, it really is hard to match the refinement of the LS in ride quality and reliability, but damnit give me some tech along with that too!!!
I bought the car for the luxurious ride qualities and the Lexus reputation for reliability. Any tech I need is on my phone.
The following 5 users liked this post by Dave144239:
jkittlesen (06-15-19), LVPUNK (06-27-19), Soldier76 (06-15-19), THE_CEO (10-17-21), Thomasin (02-10-20)
Old 06-15-19, 10:52 AM
DerrickM
Advanced

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave144239
I bought the car for the luxurious ride qualities and the Lexus reputation for reliability. Any tech I need is on my phone.
I agree; I think half the gadgets they put in these days are wasted expense. I like having the map on the dash, but I'd never use it for navigation. The voice command input feature is beyond useless for me. Drove a car yesterday with LKA and the vibrating steering wheel was very distracting (I frequently drive over the white lines I guess lol).

What I do like is the blind spot and cross traffic sensors, and the Enform remote stuff. My car emails me if I forget to lock it! I love that feature!
dlbuckls10 (06-15-19)
Old 06-15-19, 12:23 PM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

Drove the car about 100 miles today.

Strangely i am a huge technology fan, love the I drive and nav in my wifes 5 series.

Every time i get in my Ls460 i love the sense of timeless elegance on the interior
mine is a 2010 , has a nice bluetooth integration with phone and steering wheel controls.
i don't miss the newer style, even the audio on bluetooth was designed good and people can hear me great

The nav on the car is old tech, old graphics, old style nav
I happen to think it still looks great, my nav screen is flawless and its elegant , like the curvature of the screen and layout.

if there is one thing lexus / toyota is pre historic with is the cruise control
the dynamic cruise control on all bmw's that done have the driver assist package is phenomenal , being able to adjust in 1 and 5 mph increments with ease and brake.

I appreciate my Ls more and more every day for what it is, and every time i race at a light with the unsuspecting i have never had a car pull on me and get ahead yet, for a car this huge and 0-60 in 5.4 with rwd and cruising at 67 mph i got 28.9 mpg for todays ride.

car is amazing in detail and execution. perfrect no; but for 17-20 k simply brilliant
The following 2 users liked this post by mikesrx350:
LVPUNK (06-27-19), Soldier76 (06-15-19)
Old 06-15-19, 05:39 PM
Soldier76
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

I personally believe that buying a car is for the ride and the whole ambience of the interior when you get in. The tech is something to play with, and that’s cool, but to me you get that on a cellphone, laptop, watch, etc. How often are you gonna be in your car actually playing with that tech. You normally set it and forget it, but what draws you to the car is the actual look and feel of it. When I get in my LS460, the first thing on my mind isn’t I just can’t wait to use the HUD, or play with the cruise. I want to embrace and feel the ride quality and the serene quietness of my ride. Sure tech is always fun to have, but just looking at my car in my driveway and cleaning it is also fun. It makes me really appreciate things like the leather, rims, the ambient lights all around the vehicle inside & out. The very road presence screams powerful and elegant. The craftsmanship, quality, and attention to detail makes you marvel at the strenuous physical and mental labor. The engineers at Lexus invest Billions of coin into giving their customers something special, that will age like the finest wine. I upgrade my phone every few years, because I don’t really care about the phone, but the latest features in the next one. My LS 460 is something greater, and seeing other people driving old beaters on the road makes me appreciate my Lexi the more. I have the honor and very humbled by meeting people almost everyday with 10 and 20+ year old cars and trucks, and they all appreciate and see something special in their vehicles. I value that not too many people can afford something so grandeur and expensive. Most of them don’t care about tech, just the basic functions that work and it drives. I’m not gonna lie, but I do like a good sound system and heated and cooled seats.
The following 4 users liked this post by Soldier76:
jkittlesen (06-15-19), LVPUNK (06-27-19), mikesrx350 (06-16-19), Mythicalni (02-04-20)
Old 06-15-19, 07:30 PM
Benjam1n
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 74 Posts

Well said, Soldier76!
Soldier76 (06-16-19)
Old 06-16-19, 04:51 AM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

You seem to be misunderstanding the word "tech." LKA and radar cruise control are tech, and they get used every single time you drive. And a HUD is something that gets used as a safety thing, because you no longer have to look down a whole foot to see what speed you're going or how much range is left, or what station you're on. Ever driven a Tesla for longer than a few minutes? It entirely changes how you view driving.
If you indeed care so much about the driving experience, there are better cars out there for that. Like an LS430.
I think your missing the point: not him

When i watched the guys face at the dealer the other day, the guy that traded his ls430 for an ls500 and 80k. his with options was around 90

all the magic and ergonomics we love non tech related seem to be a miss with the new vehicle.
I personally think Lexus is targeting a different demographic it would be way to stupid to think other wise to abandon the core base.

all the touch points including the radio **** are like a designed orchestra working in harmony.

tech is tech, embedded safety tech is great and part of newer generation vehicles and have made amazing impact on the industry.

in 5 years when all the people are still looking for good serviced and taken care of ls460's for 15-20k, it is those people who want what the Ls460 is not what you want it to be
The following 2 users liked this post by mikesrx350:
Mythicalni (02-04-20), Soldier76 (06-16-19)
Old 06-16-19, 07:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You seem to be misunderstanding the word "tech." LKA and radar cruise control are tech, and they get used every single time you drive. And a HUD is something that gets used as a safety thing, because you no longer have to look down a whole foot to see what speed you're going or how much range is left, or what station you're on. Ever driven a Tesla for longer than a few minutes? It entirely changes how you view driving.
If you indeed care so much about the driving experience, there are better cars out there for that. Like an LS430.
Then why are you looking for/driving an LS460?

I have extensively driven a Tesla Model S. I truly wouldnt trade my LS460 for one in an even swap. It just doesnt appeal to me at all, interior is poorly put together and doesnt feel plush or luxurious. The electric torque is a fun novelty, but its not as quiet on the highway as the LS (road roar and wind noise), and having to worry about recharging doesnt work for me. Its a beautiful car, but its just not my thing.

Like I said, mine has radar cruise and I never use it. Our Pacifica has LKA and the first thing I do is turn it off. HUD is nice, but its not something that I've ever had so I won't miss it. Had an LS430, my LS460 is a better driving experience. And you think the 460 is low tech?
sha4000 (06-17-19)
Old 06-18-19, 02:58 PM
norviewguy
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I have an 07 and I’m still in love. Only thing I feel these cars are missing is Bluetooth audio. That can be fixed with a Vaistech box for $229. It allows you to change tracks on the steering wheel and the deck itself. Sounds immaculate on my Mark Levinson system that is still one of the best system I’ve heard in a car today. Couple that with the quiet ride only rivaled by cars out of its price range and more power than average. This car is near perfect. I wish there was a way to stick the 13+ Tech and dash plus CarPlay inside of the 07. These cars would be 100% perfect.

PS. I thought about purchasing German this year. My brother grabbed a 5 series this year and instantly sunk $1500 into it. I’m good.
Soldier76 (06-22-19)
Old 06-18-19, 02:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm actually about to order a kit for mine that will give it Apple CarPlay, if you want more info check out the 4RX forum...
Old 06-18-19, 03:07 PM
asianmoomo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I'm actually about to order a kit for mine that will give it Apple CarPlay, if you want more info check out the 4RX forum...
direct link pls?

Quick Reply: So how's your Ls460 aging?