LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

So how's your Ls460 aging?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-19, 03:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,756 Likes on 1,970 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...017-rx350.html
Old 06-18-19, 04:42 PM
jkittlesen
Pole Position

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

So how's your Ls460 aging?

Like a fine wine !
The following 2 users liked this post by jkittlesen:
LVPUNK (06-27-19), Soldier76 (06-19-19)
Old 06-18-19, 06:42 PM
krypto89
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

i think i found the aliexpress link. was going to get the VAIS at the end of the year, but would like to hear your review on this after you intall.
Old 06-18-19, 07:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Check out that thread, tons of real world opinions. Will do for sure though, I'm going to have it professionally installed too.
Old 06-19-19, 07:58 AM
icon901
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Sounds to me like semi-autonomous driving tech is really important to you, in which case the LS is probably not the way to go. The radar cruise will manage the throttle and brake for you in traffic, but cars with that feature are pretty rare, and the lane keep even with the cars that do have it isn't very sophisticated.
Agreed.

I just had a new ES as a loaner while they redid my Console/Glovebox as part of the recall.

Sure.. there were a lot more bells and whistles. Loved the Navi screen compared to the 08LS (10 years older). However, overall the controls and build quality felt very cheap and plasticky. The "lane assist" was borderline useless... it would wait until you were almost out of the lane, then jerk abruptly back into place, while overcorrecting. Performance was also not even close. Ride was harsh with throttle response and smoothness being very subpar. Was not a fan.

I realize I'm comparing an ES to LS, but 10 years of evolution should have narrowed the gap some. The tech takes away from the driving experience, IMO. I'd rather have the plush power of the LS with fewer gadgets. I've taken mine through Atlanta as part of a Tampa > Memphis road trip... I wouldn't have trusted cruise assist in that traffic. I had it on my Genesis and it was okay in open roads, but in changing conditions it was uneven with regards to its responsiveness.
The following 2 users liked this post by icon901:
mikesrx350 (06-19-19), Soldier76 (06-19-19)
Old 06-19-19, 03:12 PM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by icon901
Agreed.

I just had a new ES as a loaner while they redid my Console/Glovebox as part of the recall.

Sure.. there were a lot more bells and whistles. Loved the Navi screen compared to the 08LS (10 years older). However, overall the controls and build quality felt very cheap and plasticky. The "lane assist" was borderline useless... it would wait until you were almost out of the lane, then jerk abruptly back into place, while overcorrecting. Performance was also not even close. Ride was harsh with throttle response and smoothness being very subpar. Was not a fan.

I realize I'm comparing an ES to LS, but 10 years of evolution should have narrowed the gap some. The tech takes away from the driving experience, IMO. I'd rather have the plush power of the LS with fewer gadgets. I've taken mine through Atlanta as part of a Tampa > Memphis road trip... I wouldn't have trusted cruise assist in that traffic. I had it on my Genesis and it was okay in open roads, but in changing conditions it was uneven with regards to its responsiveness.

and Icon, nice post agreed with alot of what you shared
post some pics of the work on interior before and after if you desire sharing
cheers
Old 06-19-19, 03:54 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 479 Likes on 353 Posts

In the last 45 days I have taken our 2010 LS 460L on 2 road trips totaling 3,3xx miles. This car is as much of a joy to drive today as it was when we bought it back in 2014 when it came off lease. These cars will cruise at 75 MPH and still get 26-28 MPG. This car is as smooth today at now 82,2xx miles on the clock as it was when it had 19,xxx. This car is aging almost as well as my wife of almost 51 year not quite but dame close and she is fine.

Dennis

Last edited by DJWLDW; 06-19-19 at 06:54 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DJWLDW:
Jlacck (06-20-19), Soldier76 (06-19-19)
Old 06-19-19, 06:07 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 399 Likes on 271 Posts

The LS ages as well as any car I've ever experienced as a driver or passenger. Having owned a 1996 LS400 (bought in 2004/2005) that I bought with 180k miles, then buying a 2004 (bought in 2008) that I bought with 70k miles and kept until 2017 and 250k miles, and now a 2010 460L that I bought Feb 2017 with approx 65k miles (now at 97k), these cars are all solid as a rock. No squeaks, no rattles. Just as smooth and quiet as when they rolled off the production line. Frankly, it's why I buy them - because I know I can buy something 5 years old that drives and rides better than 98% of the other brand new cars on the road when it's 10 years old. Hard to believe my 2010 460L is 2 months away from being 10 model years old. I rent cars weekly and can't think of a single time I've rented something and thought it came even close to the ride quality of my 2010 460.

If you're looking for tech, look elsewhere....like outside of Lexus completely. If you're looking for comfort, reliability, and an insulated cruising machine, the LS is your car. Personally I'm not lacking any tech for my needs but I understand I may be unique. I always use my phone for nav, I can stream bluetooth music, can use my phone over BT if I want (although I use AirPods exclusively), I have heated and cooled seats, rear sun shades on all 3 rear windows/glass. I hate dynamic cruise control on all cars I've ever driven that have it, I don't like lane keep assist, and the only thing I could even think I may like to have is blind spot monitoring. I guess I'll try to get that on my next 460L.
The following 2 users liked this post by jrmckinley:
LVPUNK (06-27-19), Soldier76 (06-19-19)
Old 06-22-19, 12:33 PM
Benjam1n
Pole Position

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Incredibly well! 245k miles on my 2008. She likes to sip some oil with her 93 octane gas but it's no problem. Very comfortable to drive for hours. Interior is rattle free and suspension is tight. Brakes are great and it's fast as hell if you want it to be. MPG is solid as well. I hope to hit 300k with her.
The following 3 users liked this post by Benjam1n:
fwhomeboy (06-22-19), LVPUNK (06-27-19), Soldier76 (06-22-19)
Old 06-22-19, 03:12 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjam1n
Incredibly well! 245k miles on my 2008. She likes to sip some oil with her 93 octane gas but it's no problem. Very comfortable to drive for hours. Interior is rattle free and suspension is tight. Brakes are great and it's fast as hell if you want it to be. MPG is solid as well. I hope to hit 300k with her.
Props to you Sir. I love to hear these stories.
Old 06-23-19, 09:04 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

In my opinion, I love my '13. My parents' neighbor owns a pristine '05 LS430 which convinced me to get into the LS lineup, the lady's father still hold onto his LS400 to this day and let me tell you, they are still aging gracefully in my opinion.

I know styling is subjective to each model but I love mine, at times I wish I went with the F Sport styling but I just didn't want to 'risk' to air suspension issues and whatnot, but overall, I'm pretty happy with how it's been to me the past couple of years. Any issue(s) I had (such as the rodent or whatever chewing through my wire(s)) was not by the car's fault. I test drove the LS500 and while it is sure nice, for some reason it just doesn't take me over as a justifiable purchase (at least any time in the near future).

Speaking of what SW17LS said, I have a friend that owns two Teslas, a X and the newer 3, while they are nice, they aren't my cup of tea overall, the build quality (if you're as OCD as I am) it atrocious and in comparison once you get past the 'novelty' factor of the electric drive system, it's just that. The interior while meant to be sparse is bland in terms of quality especially for the overall price point and their QA and customer service experience if left in the shop is a joke. When I moved recently, there's a family that lives a few streets down from me that owns a '07 LS and a Model S, and I asked him the other day which one he prefers more, he said without question, "LS".

I didn't find out until the end of our conversation that his '07 is nearing 250k on the odometer with little more than basic/routine maintenance.
The following users liked this post:
Soldier76 (06-23-19)
Old 06-23-19, 05:05 PM
Soldier76
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Couldn’t agree more. Is it me, or are the exteriors of the Tesla’s kinda bland? I personally don’t think they’re gonna age well, and the reliability is definitely in question. When the factory warranty runs out, it will cost a small fortune to repair.
Old 06-24-19, 05:52 AM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts
Talking

Tech is of course better in the LS500 vs the LS460 but its still way behind vehicles like the S Class, A8, 7 Series, etc
Very true. However I prefer to drive my own car rather than a loaner (generally one of their cheaper models) when the MB, BMW or Audi are in the shop for various things that go wrong with those cars.
The following users liked this post:
Thomasin (02-10-20)
Old 06-24-19, 08:05 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by nsaldanh
Very true. However I prefer to drive my own car rather than a loaner (generally one of their cheaper models) when the MB, BMW or Audi are in the shop for various things that go wrong with those cars.
A lot of that is way overstated. I know many people with modern BMWs, Mercedes and Audis and their cars are just as reliable as my Lexus.
Old 06-25-19, 03:20 PM
Thomasin
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlacck
So for those that have a 4th gen model (especially the 2013-2014 model LS460), how do you feel the car is aging relative to the newer cars and technology people are using in cars built more recently. Are there any features or options this generation lacks that makes it feel more long in the tooth now?
Technology updates (most of them) make people suffer. Believe it or not, my first computer loaded with Win XP is still running! In contrast, my first notebook loaded with Win 7.... has been sent back to sony for countless times.....each time running slower and slower and eventually RIP.

Back to LS. LS is meant for smooth as silk ride and phenomenal reliability. My 2002 LS never surprises me with any failures (other than the front passenger door lock actuator)! How often can you see a BMW or Benz at this age on the road lol

Some here mention about adaptive cruise control which is nothing more than a nuisance to me. I have driven several Camry for road trips and every time the car detects another ahead of it, it brakes very hard itself despite that there is a distance of 3+ car lengths! Lane Departure Alert is another useless feature that spoils people. I think the blind spot alert on the side mirrors is the only helpful safety feature.

The only technology I need is Bluetooth to play the music stored in my phone. Nothing more.

Possibly technology goes downhill in LS. The navigation panel in my 2010 is compatible with touch screen function whereas my 2015...OMG.... You need to deal with most functions with a mouse. This is the only complain about my 2015!

The 13 and the 12 are largely the same. Any difference you felt came down to condition of the car, tires, etc. In fact, a lot of changes were made to the 13+ that improved quietness, ride, chassis rigidity, etc.

This is defiantly true. My 15 had the standard leather and my 17 has the semi-aniline and the semi-aniline is MUCH better.
My 2015 drives like my 430 when put in ECO mode. Although it has nothing to do with improving fuel economy, I love this feature!

A question for you if you don't mind. Are there any updates in your 17 compared with the 15? I would have waited for LS 500 for the re-designed spindle grill; although I cannot appreciate the new cabin design....

Quick Reply: So how's your Ls460 aging?