LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

A stroke of genius...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-18, 11:50 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
Default A stroke of genius...

Well, CL friends, given the lack of basic understanding of the rules of the road, the blatant disregard for such rules and the flat-out stupidity that I witness on the roads on a daily basis, I guess my number was up on Monday morning as I headed into work. I can elaborate further, but pictures do say a thousand words.

This is what happens when someone is so eager to make a left turn onto a side street that (1) they drive the wrong way on the main street (on the lane I was about to turn right into) and then (2) proceed to take a tight turn that would be ok (space-wise... still not fine to drive the wrong way) on a Mini Cooper, but not on a $^&% truck. The damaged area is "contained", but the offender managed to hit everything, including the headlight (and beyond the obvious LED dimension on the 600, I remind those of you "in the know" that I have APCS, and you know what that mean$).

Nobody got hurt, thankfully, and while the other driver (kid driving a business truck) was very apologetic, I still get angry when I think of how avoidable this was and of the complete pain-in-the-rear that the aftermath is. At least I have a body shop that I fully trust. But boy do I struggle with stupidity and poor judgment...

I could say "enjoy" the photos, but if you do enjoy them, we can no longer be friends.

Old 11-10-18, 12:50 PM
Seejay
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The main reason we crash vehicles (vision saccades and fixations):

https://www.portsmouthctc.org.uk/a-f...-on-the-roads/
Old 11-10-18, 01:28 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

That is brutal. Luckily the airbag didn't deploy. That looks like at least 5k in damages if the light has to be replaced. At least that's what insurance will estimate.
Old 11-10-18, 02:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

So annoying...you're so right about the huge PITA its going to be and so completely avoidable.
Old 11-10-18, 04:41 PM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

That'll buff right out.
Old 11-11-18, 04:43 PM
keltonks
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe have to use a little Bondo and a shake can.

Dare I say, "Defensive Driving"?
Old 11-11-18, 05:45 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

I strongly dislike those pictures ... buddy.
Old 11-11-18, 07:30 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Huge disruption... Insurance hassles, rental cars, deductible disputes, …… At least no one was injured....

The wife will never be herself after the 2 rear endings (while she was stopped) in 2017.....
Old 11-11-18, 08:06 PM
Luscombe8A
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

My condolences. Your photos make me nauseous, especially given the circumstances with a young man and a company vehicle. I doubt he even gives it a second thought.

I had my LS a month before I put front and rear dash cams in it. The number of near hits that I have experienced in the last 6 months is unbelievable. Never seen so many aggressive and distracted, texting, drivers on the road, truly scary.

Since it was a totally avoidable claim and the driver was totally at fault, I would make sure that your repair is 100% acceptable to you and then I would also claim depreciated future value as part of the claim.
Old 11-12-18, 07:15 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

What a bumm(p)er dude! Seriously, the world has turned into an "I don't care about you when I'm in my car" moment. Glad no one was hurt. It's photos like these that make me reconsider my want for a newer car. Just last week driving from home to downtown, 2 different drivers came so close to hitting my car, it made me frustrated. The first one just decided to take my lane without looking while cruising 70 mph on the xway. Had I not been defensive, they would have taken out my passenger side totally. The other was a person that decided to just turn left in front of me on a 6 lane road.

Good luck and hopefully minimal damage.
Old 11-13-18, 11:54 AM
caha14
Racer

Thank you all for your comments and thoughts. The car is going in the shop next week, and we shall see. For starters, the headlight the insurance appraiser put on the estimate is the wrong part number (apparently not an uncommon thing). I am not worried, as parts will be ordered per my VIN. What's interesting is that this "bare bones" headlight assembly is about $2k. The real thing (for my car) lists for $3935 and change.

But I digress...

I have successfully been practicing defensive driving for the last 28 years. And, FWIW, while some folks drive like maniacs around here, the place where I grew up (and trained to drive) is like the wilderness and makes MA drivers seem civilized, so my reflexes are extra sharp! In this case, there was virtually no time or space.

It's unfortunate, but I still get very ticked off when I think of what happened OR when I look at my car. I've been taking the LX out a lot these days - awesome truck, but the notion some folks float around that the LX is the SUV version of the LS is so untrue (thing feels loud on the highway by comparison ).

I've thought of getting dash cameras for a while. Maybe it's time...
Old 11-13-18, 01:01 PM
DedBirdDog
Intermediate

Received 146 Likes on 96 Posts

It's never a matter of if, merely a matter of when. Be it an inattentive driver or even something like a deer, if you drive long enough, you'll get to use your insurance policy. You're lucky not to have had an airbag deployment. That, combined with the pricey part damage could have totaled the car.
Old 11-13-18, 01:34 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Sorry to see that happen to you. When I looked at the pics I didn't think the headlight assembly was damaged.
Old 11-13-18, 05:10 PM
caha14
Racer

Originally Posted by DedBirdDog
It's never a matter of if, merely a matter of when. Be it an inattentive driver or even something like a deer, if you drive long enough, you'll get to use your insurance policy. You're lucky not to have had an airbag deployment. That, combined with the pricey part damage could have totaled the car.
I hear you. I think that my only saving grace under that scenario is that the car only has 20k miles, so it might have "survived".

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Sorry to see that happen to you. When I looked at the pics I didn't think the headlight assembly was damaged.
Thank you. The picture doesn't show it too well, but he put a series of healthy, deep scratches/scrapes on it.
Old 11-14-18, 09:02 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 210 Likes on 188 Posts

haha you guys complaining about how people drive there LOL try driving in Ukraine.... these Ftards..... are crazy

Quick Reply: A stroke of genius...