LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

HEADS UP !!! XenonDepot LED solution for our highbeams/DRLs coming soon

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-18, 06:53 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

I was about to order these and now disappointed to hear there is still flicker. I wonder if the PWM module in the 460 is more involved than that 4Runner in the video. I have high powered LEDs in my high beam without any sort of anti flicker box. There is a very faint flicker, but it's there. When I record a video it looks just like yours, but I know the camera can't quite capture how it looks in person. I'd be curious what you see when you put the new PWM box on one side and not on the other with led bulb installed and how that looks in person.

Originally Posted by cooltech78
Hey Danny,
Just got around to installing them. The color and brightness of the LED is excellent, unfortunately there does seem to be a flicker even with the new DRL Driver. I made a video showing both and while the flicker isn't as pronounced to the naked eye as it is to my camera, it's certainly noticeable.
Link: https://youtu.be/l6Ac84rFnpo

Thoughts? Is there something else I can do to reduce the flicker or does this just mean that this wont work for the LS460s
Old 10-15-18, 07:05 PM
cooltech78
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll change one out and will post the results when I have some time tomorrow. The flickering isn't extremely obvious from a distance, but its still disappointing. That being said, DRL / high beam function does work (can make a video of that tomorrow).

Did you use the Xtreme LED Pro kit with the basic driver? Did you put the driver inside the high beam enclosure or did you leave it out and drill a hole in the cap for the grommet? I was able to fit everything in to the high beam enclosure but had a hard time fanning out the heat sink to a satisfying degree given the limited space.
Old 10-16-18, 08:22 AM
bigsherv
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

This is a dumb question, I have a 2014 with the LED headlights and fog lights, are people updating these bulbs? Aren't they bright as heck already?
Old 10-16-18, 10:01 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

@cooltech78 - Sorry to hear that you are still experiencing a flickering issue in daytime running light (DRL) mode. Keep in mind that the frame rate of the camera can cause more flickering so it wouldn't be an accurate representation.

I would first recommend that you check and make sure you are using the new DRL LED Drivers which come in a separate box with the part# XT-LED-PRO-DRL. When installing the new LED Driver, make sure you're no longer using the old LED Drivers or the PWM canbus modules.

I want to take this opportunity to thank you for being an early adopter of this product, which is still very new to us, and for your patience and understanding while we get this resolved for you.

Please send us an email to customerservice@xenondepot.com with your order info and detailing the problem so that we can further look into this on a case by case basis to help resolve the issue. You can keep them and continue to use them for the time being, as there is no negative effect on the kit for doing so.

The DRL LED Drivers for the Xtreme LED Pro kits were designed to work with Pulse-Width Modulation (PWM) daytime running lights so if the vehicle has another type of DRL then these, unfortunately, wouldn't work.

The DRLs at a lower brightness is created by a Pulse-Width Modulation (PWM) signal coming from the vehicle’s side of things, so the variation caused by this method is going to create some variance in our results.The programming in the computer chips in the DRL Drivers is adjustable at our manufacturer’s end, and while we have sold through our entire initial batch of these we received, our next batch is going to include some programming tweaks to handle a larger range of variance in the PWM signal.

____

@CJITTY - The PWM Module will stop the flickering but it will cause the DRL to be on at full brightness.

____

@bigsherv - If you have LED headlights and fog lights then you can't easily upgrade them without changing the whole housing. These upgrades are meant for vehicles that have halogen lighting in the headlights and fog lights.

Danny
Old 10-16-18, 07:17 PM
cooltech78
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sent you guys an email. I'm fairly certain I used the new modules, but will double check tomorrow. It also seems that the one I installed on the left is slightly dimmer than the other, might be rotated? I'll pop things open and will take a look again tomorrow and will let you know. Driving around, the flicker wasn't obvious tonight. But walking up to the car a faint flicker is noticeable.
Old 10-17-18, 09:02 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by cooltech78
Sent you guys an email. I'm fairly certain I used the new modules, but will double check tomorrow. It also seems that the one I installed on the left is slightly dimmer than the other, might be rotated? I'll pop things open and will take a look again tomorrow and will let you know. Driving around, the flicker wasn't obvious tonight. But walking up to the car a faint flicker is noticeable.
That would be a great start if you could double check. If everything ends up being installed correctly then please send us an email with your order and vehicle info so that we can further review this case.

Danny