LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Messy Battery...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-18, 07:41 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Messy Battery...

A couple years ago I put a new battery in the LS. It's been cranking a little weird lately, the engine doesn't rev like it used to. It use to crank and rev to like maybe 1,800 then work it's way down. Lately it will crank and fire off at like 1,100, then slowly work its way up … and then slowly back down. Weird.

I pulled the cover off the battery, and there's corrosion all over the + pole. So I pulled the lead off, cleaned some of the excess acid / corrosion off, spray some cleaner (acid neutralizer) on the battery / pole (lightly to try not to make a big mess), and used a rag to clean it up as much as possible.

Then I put the lead back on the pole. Lastly, I masked off the area with a couple towels and sprayed terminal protector on the + lead. This is annoying as the original Panasonic battery, after 7 years of service had not 1 spec of corrosion on it. I haven't cranked it since I cleaned the battery. Heck, I've not cranked it in about 3 weeks.

What triggers this corrosion? And how can it be avoided? Is the corrosion based on battery sealing quality? This is not my forte. But I like a clean battery.
Old 08-03-18, 08:03 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

In for answers as I've had this problem with my Tundra for years but never bothered looking into it :P
Old 08-03-18, 08:34 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 145 Posts

Looser fit between the aftermarket battery case and the post,
The following users liked this post:
jmcraney (08-03-18)
Old 08-03-18, 08:50 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Ehhhh, not so sure that's the case. On my Tundra I installed a set of these with the wingnuts and the fit is as snug as it can be. Still get corrosion.

Old 08-03-18, 11:18 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

It’s the batteries construction. The oem battery is a higher quality tighter fit internally battery.
Old 08-03-18, 01:05 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Caflashbob is giving you some very good information.

Most of the corrosion problems with car battery terminals is due to leakage between the terminals and battery case. A good way to deal with that is to seal the case/terminal junction with silicone sealant - GE280 works well for this - but you need to do that before the battery is installed because it is difficult to do a good job with the battery installed. You just need to apply a small bead of sealant around that joint.

Another way to deal with this is to install some of those treated, felt washers on the terminals before you attach the cables.

The felt washers are available from most auto supply stores, and Amazon.com. They are very effective for preventing corrosion.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/produc...SABEgKMKfD_BwE

Amazon Amazon

You can rid the terminals and cables of corrosion by applying a solution of baking soda and water.
Old 08-03-18, 04:24 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Originally Posted by jmcraney
Caflashbob is giving you some very good information.

Most of the corrosion problems with car battery terminals is due to leakage between the terminals and battery case. A good way to deal with that is to seal the case/terminal junction with silicone sealant - GE280 works well for this - but you need to do that before the battery is installed because it is difficult to do a good job with the battery installed. You just need to apply a small bead of sealant around that joint.

Another way to deal with this is to install some of those treated, felt washers on the terminals before you attach the cables.

The felt washers are available from most auto supply stores, and Amazon.com. They are very effective for preventing corrosion.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/produc...SABEgKMKfD_BwE

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...2HWC4JWCVFS3Z4

You can rid the terminals and cables of corrosion by applying a solution of baking soda and water.

i replaced both my Lexus batteries with high quality Bosch AGM’s.

The factory removeable battery cable ends would not allow the insertion of the felt anti corrosion pads between the cable end and the battery case. Would not tighten.

both cars seem to have been built to use a higher quality better sealing battery that does not require the felt pads at all.
Old 08-03-18, 04:42 PM
KYLS
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Caflashbob

i replaced both my Lexus batteries with high quality Bosch AGM’s.
I second that. After cleaning up corrosion from past cars I buy nothing but AGM batteries and have never had an issue since. I wish Sears still sold their Platinum (re-branded Odyssey) with the 10 year warranty. The Odyssey Extreme batteries can often be found for a reasonable price, even shipped to your door, since they don't leak.