LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Stinky A/C what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-18, 09:14 PM
RNelson
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stinky A/C what to do?

Hello!

I have a 2010 LS460, It does not have the additional A/C controls in the back seat. My A/C on start up and initial running smells kind of stale, molding, stinky. I did just check the cabin filter and it does not smell and is not that dirty. I keep my car pretty clean... maybe too clean as I take it through the auto car wash twice a week, at least, whenever it looks dusty/dirty. The interior is spotless. Nothing old, no musty cheese anywhere, I don't eat in the car so there is not an old jumbo jack with extra mayo hiding out under the seat.

I feel like maybe some leaves got into the ventilation system, or there is excess water from the washes somehow building up and getting stinky... I do have to park the car outside near a tree and some bamboo, so in the morning there is often leaves on my car.

Not sure where to start and how to remedy? Could someone let me know what the next steps should be?

Thanks,

Rodney
Old 07-17-18, 07:13 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

You could always try an ozone generator (can be rented) overnight to see if that will pull the smell out of the car, then if it comes back start digging deeper.
Old 07-17-18, 07:47 AM
waterdude
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

You can try the Toyota A/C Refresher Kit. It is a 2 chemical process that is supposed to clean the air intake and evaporator. Video link for instructions:
Old 07-17-18, 08:32 AM
BULLITT1
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Likely there is/was moisture build up on evaporator which in turn causes build up of bacteria and thus an odor.

Remove cabin filter, run heater on HIGH for 1hr, A/C OFF, recirc ON, (this dries the evaporator/case out) then run an ozone generator(you will not want to be in the car until the ozone smell is gone. then install new cabin filter(preferably charcoal filter)
Old 07-17-18, 08:41 AM
RNelson
Rookie

Great thank you everyone for your suggestions. I had no idea where to even start. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 07-17-18, 10:29 AM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

Check the evaporator condensate drain tubes also. If they clog, it can produce the problem you describe.
Old 07-17-18, 08:45 PM
RNelson
Rookie

Originally Posted by Tec80
Check the evaporator condensate drain tubes also. If they clog, it can produce the problem you describe.
Could you tell me where this drain tube would be located?

Thanks,

Rodney
Old 07-18-18, 07:40 AM
BULLITT1
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

If the drain tube clogs, then you are looking at built up water on the floor board on/under carpet after it spill out of the A/C case. not likely the case.
Old 07-18-18, 07:46 AM
stkgator
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use this product every year or so on all of my vehicles to keep the HVAC system fresh.

https://1z-usa.com/products/klima-cl...r-cleaner-html
Old 07-18-18, 08:23 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by BULLITT1
If the drain tube clogs, then you are looking at built up water on the floor board on/under carpet after it spill out of the A/C case. not likely the case.
Yup.

OP, make sure the carpet under the passenger side of the dash is not damp. If it is the above is very likely your issue.
Old 07-18-18, 06:51 PM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 231 Likes on 183 Posts

I just like you, have a pristine cabin filter, do not eat, fart or anything in my car. It's immaculate, always.

Lot of quick fixes, one of them being this.

1. put your car with the AC on, on high (fan direction towards center -> only) . RECIRC mode OFF.
2. roll all windows fully down
3. pop hood
4. take Lysol (or any spray with mildew/mold killer and spray into the vents you see near the wiper blades, there should be two series of vents, one near center and one near driver side.
5. spray into the vents for about 30 seconds straight. each series of vents.
6. while leaving AC on, crank the temp from coldest to hottest and repeat the steps 4 and 5.
7. let the air run for at least a couple of minutes after spraying with windows down.
8. roll up windows and close up car, i recommend leaving a 1cm crack in the windows to let fully air out.
-- optional, i throw in an ionizer and packet of japanese charcoal bamboo ---
8a, sprinkle baking soda on the floor mats and carpet as a whole.
8b. let it sit for about ten minutes
8c. vacuum it up.

works like a charm for me anyways.
Old 07-19-18, 06:18 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by stkgator
I use this product every year or so on all of my vehicles to keep the HVAC system fresh.

https://1z-usa.com/products/klima-cl...r-cleaner-html
X2 ^^ This foaming cleaner (or any evap foaming cleaner) is the best way to clean the evaporator because this is where the mold and dust problems accumulate....... Scented sprays only "mask" the problem and the smells will come back.
Check your car for mice too!....... These pests get into the car and pizz everywhere.
Ozone generators work great for eliminating smells but unless you get rid of the source they come back.

Old 07-19-18, 01:22 PM
bigsherv
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

For the foams does anyone have pics or videos of where exactly to squirt the stuff? Asking for a friend with a 2014.
Old 07-20-18, 05:49 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Tske out the cabin filter and spray the suff down the squirrel cage onto the evaporator. I'd try Febreeze first.
Old 08-13-18, 02:37 PM
LAA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RE: Ozone generators

How long did you run it?
Where in the vehicle did you place it and with the ozone flow towards front or rear?

My problem arose after roof drains clogged, causing soaked front seats, causing... etc. I have already done a thorough visual inspection, removed visible mold [under front passenger seat], sprayed Concrobium, Lysol, and used a mold-kit that supposedly gassed the car. Also changed cabin filter. Still smells bad.

Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply: Stinky A/C what to do?