LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Error Code P0335 and Solution

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-18, 10:02 AM
yyymmm31
Intermediate

Received 213 Likes on 131 Posts
Post Error Code P0335 and Solution

----
Just wanted to share a cause for error code P0335 and a simple solution. A few mornings ago, all of sudden, my car wouldn't start. When I pressed the Start button, I heard a click sound as if the starter solenoid pushed the plunger to engage but the the starter gear wouldn't turn. My first thought was that it must be a weak battery, because it was a typical behavior of a weak battery. However, my battery was fairly new, a genuine OEM National battery made in Japan from Lexus dealer. I tested the battery anyway and it was indeed in good condition. I tried a number of times to start the car but got the same one click sound. I then noticed that the VSC message came on the dash. I connected Techtream to the car and got an error code P0335 with the explanation that "Crankshaft position sensor A circuit" was not functioning properly. My first instinct was to order a new sensor and replace the one on my car. Then, it occurred to me that the battery on my fob key had not been replaced for more than a year. Could it be that a weak car key battery didn't communicate well with the car and caused the problem? I replaced the key battery and cleared the error code P0335 with Techstream. With the new battery in the car key, I pressed the Start button. The car started without hesitation and the engine ran smoothly. Everything sounded and felt normal. Since then, I have driven more than 200 city-stop-and-go miles. I have been able to start the car without a problem and the engine has been running without problem. The error code P0335 has not shown again. My conclusion is that a weak battery on the car key can cause a seemingly starter-associated problem and can also trigger a false error code P0335 (Crankshaft position sensor is bad). Before replacing the car battery or the starter or the crankshaft position senor, replace the car key battery first and it can be all you need to do to fix the problem.
---
The following 7 users liked this post by yyymmm31:
Asher8190 (05-05-23), corpnupe85 (06-23-18), Dave144239 (06-23-18), RayLS (06-23-18), Rickg0911 (10-25-19), shawal444 (09-20-23), tofuprod (06-24-18) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-23-18, 11:20 AM
RNelson
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Good to know. Thank you for the write up.
Old 06-24-18, 07:02 AM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts

What battery did you get, and, from where?
Old 06-24-18, 10:50 AM
majorlee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just diagnosed this from some errors on my GS450h

gunna get the techstream program and run it again
Old 06-24-18, 10:55 AM
yyymmm31
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fwhomeboy
What battery did you get, and, from where?
---
I assume that you meant the car key battery. For fob key, the battery size is 1632. Any brand of battery of this size should work and you may purchase it from Walmart, Target, and most stores that sell cell batteries. Personally, I prefer Energizer or Duracell brands as they tend to last longer. I buy batteries from Amazon and I always keep a spare 1632 battery on hand since I have four Lexus keys that use 1632 battery, just in case that one of them need a new battery. If you meant my car battery, I have a National/Panasonic white-color OEM battery made in Japan and I permanently "borrowed" it from my GX 460 which I purchased brand new from my local Lexus dealer.
----

Last edited by yyymmm31; 06-24-18 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-24-18, 10:59 AM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by yyymmm31
---
I assume that you meant the car key battery. For fob key, the battery size is 1632. Any brand of battery of this size should work and you may purchase it from Walmart, Target, and most stores that sell cell batteries. Personally, I prefer Energizer or Duracell brands as they tend to last longer. I buy batteries from Amazon and I always keep a spare 1632 battery on hand since I have four Lexus keys that use 1632 battery, just in case that one of them need a new battery. If you meant my car battery, I have a National/Panasonic white-color OEM battery made in Japan and I got it from my local Lexus dealer.
----
I was referring to the Fob battery. Thanks. I wonder why people get the dealer to replace it?
The following users liked this post:
Rickg0911 (10-25-19)
Old 06-24-18, 11:09 AM
yyymmm31
Intermediate

Originally Posted by majorlee
just diagnosed this from some errors on my GS450h

gunna get the techstream program and run it again
----
VSC warning messages may suggest all kinds of trouble codes and may also flag brake system issues. In the situation I described here, it is solely associated with Error Code P0335. Don't want to mislead you or others. .
---
Old 06-24-18, 11:13 AM
yyymmm31
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fwhomeboy
I was referring to the Fob battery. Thanks. I wonder why people get the dealer to replace it?
---
You are so right and couldn't agree more. It is a simple procedure to replace the fob key battery and it took just a couple of minutes. No tools are needed. Just pull out the physical key from the fob key and use it to jack open the key case. No need to go to the dealer for it unless it is covered by warranty and free of charge.
---
Old 06-25-18, 03:29 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Didn't you get a message in the dash when you turned the car off - "key battery low"?
Old 06-25-18, 03:44 PM
yyymmm31
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Didn't you get a message in the dash when you turned the car off - "key battery low"?
----
I didn't pay attention to the dash display after turning the engine off the previous night. Maybe there was a warning message about low key battery that I failed to take notice of.
-----
Old 09-20-23, 08:50 AM
shawal444
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you!!

Originally Posted by yyymmm31
----
Just wanted to share a cause for error code P0335 and a simple solution. A few mornings ago, all of sudden, my car wouldn't start. When I pressed the Start button, I heard a click sound as if the starter solenoid pushed the plunger to engage but the the starter gear wouldn't turn. My first thought was that it must be a weak battery, because it was a typical behavior of a weak battery. However, my battery was fairly new, a genuine OEM National battery made in Japan from Lexus dealer. I tested the battery anyway and it was indeed in good condition. I tried a number of times to start the car but got the same one click sound. I then noticed that the VSC message came on the dash. I connected Techtream to the car and got an error code P0335 with the explanation that "Crankshaft position sensor A circuit" was not functioning properly. My first instinct was to order a new sensor and replace the one on my car. Then, it occurred to me that the battery on my fob key had not been replaced for more than a year. Could it be that a weak car key battery didn't communicate well with the car and caused the problem? I replaced the key battery and cleared the error code P0335 with Techstream. With the new battery in the car key, I pressed the Start button. The car started without hesitation and the engine ran smoothly. Everything sounded and felt normal. Since then, I have driven more than 200 city-stop-and-go miles. I have been able to start the car without a problem and the engine has been running without problem. The error code P0335 has not shown again. My conclusion is that a weak battery on the car key can cause a seemingly starter-associated problem and can also trigger a false error code P0335 (Crankshaft position sensor is bad). Before replacing the car battery or the starter or the crankshaft position senor, replace the car key battery first and it can be all you need to do to fix the problem.
---
This was the case for my car as well. I have changed the FIOB battery and reset the error code. Hopefully this is it
Old 09-20-23, 01:53 PM
yyymmm31
Intermediate

Originally Posted by shawal444
This was the case for my car as well. I have changed the FIOB battery and reset the error code. Hopefully this is it
-----
Thank you for sharing the info. My car is still free of the P0335 error code after more than five years and 50K miles.
----