LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Aftermarket subwoofer install question on running wires

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-18, 09:57 PM
whytry
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Aftermarket subwoofer install question on running wires

I did some searching and I couldn’t see exactly how people ran their power wires from the battery into the trunk, or is there another power source you guys tapped into somewhere else for power to the amp? I know I’m going to run the LOC remote to the cig lighter fuse, which from searching looks to be in the trunk fuse panel so that’s easy. But for the 4 gauge power wire, where did you pull it through the firewall? Thanks for any input or even better pictures of placement.
Old 06-12-18, 03:44 PM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 232 Likes on 183 Posts

When I installed my RF 10" in my trunk, my installed ran the power wire through the firewall, in between the side sill trim and through the back of the C-pillar area and he had to drill a small hole to make it happen.

It works perfect, however the broke two of my c-pillar clips (one on each side), part # 62217-12050 - which i just ordered today.

I tried doing a quick fix on it with 3M tape but the tape isn't holding up to the heat we've been having as of late so I'm hoping these new clips will fix the fact of my c-pillar trim hanging down from the rear of my car.

Not necessarily the installer's fault as these clips are brittle and are prone to breaking, but still sucks nonetheless. Just a fair warning if you go that route.
Old 06-16-18, 11:38 AM
whytry
Advanced

Thanks! I got it through the firewall and down the pass side, but I’d rather not drill a hole for the power wire if not needed. Anybody have a way to do this? I assumed there is somewhere to push the wire through but I’m not finding anything as of yet. right now my car is torn apart in the driveway. Hopefully I can figure this out soon or someone can post up a place to push wire through rear
Old 06-16-18, 05:58 PM
whytry
Advanced

Ok found it. For anybody else who is still going to run an additional subwoofer there is a rubber sticker cover behind pass side seat back that if you pull that cover there is enough room to run 4 gauge wire through it and make it to the trunk without having to cut or drill a new hole
Old 06-18-18, 11:09 AM
1693power
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whytry
Ok found it. For anybody else who is still going to run an additional subwoofer there is a rubber sticker cover behind pass side seat back that if you pull that cover there is enough room to run 4 gauge wire through it and make it to the trunk without having to cut or drill a new hole
Can you please give me a little more info on where you ran the wires? I'm putting a hitch on my '12 LS460, and the wiring kit requires a power supply off the battery. Any guidance on where you ran the wire would be super helpful, thanks!
Old 06-18-18, 12:13 PM
whytry
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1693power
Can you please give me a little more info on where you ran the wires? I'm putting a hitch on my '12 LS460, and the wiring kit requires a power supply off the battery. Any guidance on where you ran the wire would be super helpful, thanks!

of course. I ran mine thru the firewall loom in pass side behind and below the battery. Here is a picture of it. Ideally pull the panels on the pass side, if you start the process of removing the glove box it is much easier to see vs trying to do it by feel.

The top picture is where from underneath the days on th pass side trying to show the loom where it came thru firewall behind that box. Th bottom one is where the wire 4 gauge red wire was ran and goes thru firewall from engine side. The box on the right of the photo is th battery for reference.

Hope this helps
The following users liked this post:
1693power (06-18-18)
Old 06-18-18, 01:48 PM
1693power
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great, thank you! I assume I can run it under the passenger side sills, then into the trunk, following the harness that goes back into the fuse box back there.
Old 06-18-18, 03:31 PM
whytry
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1693power
Great, thank you! I assume I can run it under the passenger side sills, then into the trunk, following the harness that goes back into the fuse box back there.

exactly. I ran it down pass side sills then under rear seat, take bottom out then top section and there is a black sticker covering a hole large enough for 4 gauge to pass through without any hangups and into the trunk. If you keep it behind the paneling you can run it down to the driver side to that fuse panel.... or if it’s needed to go outside car maybe look at running it down under paneling to the spare tire wheel well and then drill a small hole and run wires out and then silicone around so no leaks.....