LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Am I screwed? Brake Actuator failure

Old 05-18-18, 08:37 AM
KikeNY
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I screwed? Brake Actuator failure

Hey all,

Long time lurker here. I own a 2007 Lexus LS460 that I bought as an upgrade to my old LS400. Loved that thing.
So far I hadn't had much a problem, until very recently, maybe within the past two months, I started getting a noise every time I pressed on the brakes, began feeling a shudder. I shrugged it off thinking perhaps my rotors were getting low or pads were. Felt like my rotors were pretty badly warped every time I pressed on the brakes. I was holding off saying I'd do a full brake service here in a few, up until recently when my car threw all the codes. Threw on the traction control light, the ABS light, the BRAKE light, and the brake hold flashing. Along with 'BRAKE MALFUNCTION' and others displayed along the dash. My brake actuator had threw in the towel.

I took my car to Lexus after reading that it was a common issue and that there had been a "warranty enhancement" issued by Lexus. Apparently, I hadn't done the reading well enough as my vehicle just missed the date by a mere 5 months. From December 31, 2017 onwards, the warranty only applies to vehicles up to 150,000 or 10 years, whichever comes first. My vehicle just crossed over 130k miles. I felt appalled when they offered me a grand total of $4,550 with the diagnostic fee to replace the actuator.

My questions are, has anyone had this kind of experience? Is Lexus willing to help fix a knowingly faulty part even when a little bit outside the margin? If not, could I continue driving on it? Or is it time to sell?

Thanks.
Old 05-18-18, 09:32 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Have you gotten a quote from a local shop? I would think it might be at least half of that price. If you can source your own actuator that will help too.

I think Lexus did well extending it out to 10 years. Mine was replaced by last owner about 3 years ago.

I would not keep driving it in that way. If you sell you will take a loss i bet. Is there anything else needing fixed??

Oh, I guess you could try a gofund account. haha But who knows i have seen those posted.
Old 05-18-18, 03:58 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 853 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by KikeNY
Hey all,

Long time lurker here. I own a 2007 Lexus LS460 that I bought as an upgrade to my old LS400. Loved that thing.
So far I hadn't had much a problem, until very recently, maybe within the past two months, I started getting a noise every time I pressed on the brakes, began feeling a shudder. I shrugged it off thinking perhaps my rotors were getting low or pads were. Felt like my rotors were pretty badly warped every time I pressed on the brakes. I was holding off saying I'd do a full brake service here in a few, up until recently when my car threw all the codes. Threw on the traction control light, the ABS light, the BRAKE light, and the brake hold flashing. Along with 'BRAKE MALFUNCTION' and others displayed along the dash. My brake actuator had threw in the towel.

I took my car to Lexus after reading that it was a common issue and that there had been a "warranty enhancement" issued by Lexus. Apparently, I hadn't done the reading well enough as my vehicle just missed the date by a mere 5 months. From December 31, 2017 onwards, the warranty only applies to vehicles up to 150,000 or 10 years, whichever comes first. My vehicle just crossed over 130k miles. I felt appalled when they offered me a grand total of $4,550 with the diagnostic fee to replace the actuator.

My questions are, has anyone had this kind of experience? Is Lexus willing to help fix a knowingly faulty part even when a little bit outside the margin? If not, could I continue driving on it? Or is it time to sell?

Thanks.
you are not screwed...you have to look on eBay, salvage yards and Craigslist for LS460s being parted out.
step away from the dealer and locate a local mechanic who knows Toyota.
these links will help you get started.

Case in point. I have two SC430s, 2002 and 2007. My 2002 had 65k on it when the brake master cylinder started leaking. Now this is an all in one master cylinder, it has an accumulator, pump, actuator etc. I was lucky and found one at a local salvage yard for $100. Ebay had them for $400-$700. New, $2k, I think.

let me know if you require additional help.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...uator&_sacat=0

http://car-part.com/

Old 05-19-18, 03:40 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Same thing started happening to me...I started hearing this kind of rubber scraping against something sound when I was coming to a stop, I immediately thought control arm bushings. So I checked my control arm bushings, yup junk. Replaced those, didn't help. Then I thought...sway bar bushings...yup junk. Replaced them. Noise still these. Then I replaced sway bar links, noise still there. Then it started to get worse. I took my brakes apart and lubed everything, noise still wouldn't go away.

Then I tried something - I stepped on the brake with the car standing still - I could duplicate the noise. Then I tried it with the car shut off, I could duplicate. I knew it was only a matter of time before I'd need a brake actuator and pump, so I immediately traded it in.

My logic was this...ok I have 176,000 miles on the thing, I'm burning a little oil, I need tires, do I really want to dump $2,000-$3,000 on a 11 year old car? I drive 26,000 a year, that's a big repair for an eleven year old car. And I wasn't about to buy a used one on eBay for $700 bucks when that thing probably already has 100,000 miles of city driving on it.

Great car, unfortunately this is what ended it for me (and I knew that was going to b the thing that did it). I wish it had failed during that extended warranty period.
Old 05-19-18, 02:03 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Call Lexus corporate and complain first. Be persistent and keep asking to speak to higher ups, then write a letter if they blow you off explaining the frustration with the brand and what they are charging(almost a 3rd of what the car is worth) to fix their design failure especially when you are just a few months out of their extended warranty.

I would then look to DIY or a Indy mechanic and ebay/junkyards, other sites, don't give the dealership or Lexus a dime of your money by giving them your business or sourcing the part through them.
Old 05-19-18, 04:34 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

I'm sorry to hear about your brake actuator failure but many 460 owners will be dealing with the same problem in the future. If the criteria for the recall have expired Lexus could offer a partial reimbursement for parts and labor. Lexus is well aware of this problem and passed it on the owners.
Old 05-19-18, 06:58 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

I would look into a class action lawsuit too.
The following users liked this post:
DFlood (02-27-20)
Old 05-19-18, 07:17 PM
steelers6
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Should've been a total recall by lexus

Originally Posted by UDel
I would look into a class action lawsuit too.
Lexus really don't care about how DANGEROUS that faulty brake actuator and pump is,and they know it's DANGEROUS and they still won't RECALL them,a billion dollar company that could really care less,dam shame,smh...It's even harder for me to understand how long they have gotten away with it, UNBELIEVABLE...CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT should've been in place yrs ago,pretty sad LEXUS...

Last edited by steelers6; 05-19-18 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-20-18, 12:15 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

Wait... not sure why everyone is against Lexus here? It’s a 11+ yo car, 130k+ miles.

Things are going to break. it’s normal. Good thing this isn’t a BMW or Audi because same subject would pop up but on a 6yo car w 70k miles.

im with you all that it does suck though that it’s $4k at the dealer. It is the reason we don’t buy $25k S-classes that were $120k new. Parts are based on $120k, not $25k.

same with LS. Parts are based on a $80k car, not $15k cars.

to the OP... if you are going to keep the car for awhile, I would get at new replacement. Perhaps they can match the online site prices on the part. It’s going to happen to all of us, I hope a cheaper alternative source exists at my next repair...

with the cost of simple wear and tear parts on this car. I do not recommend the LS460 as a good used car to buy... unless you are a part-time mechanic

Last edited by joedaddy1; 05-20-18 at 12:21 PM.
Old 05-20-18, 01:44 PM
Eyerly
Driver School Candidate

Another thread discussing this issue: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...96&postcount=3

Post 3 has a link to the enhanced warranty.
Old 05-21-18, 08:29 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

It is a 11 y o 460 and parts do break and fail. However, my brake actuator and control arms were replaced under warranty over six years ago at 58K miles. The warranty was worth it. So owners and future owners be aware.
Old 05-21-18, 11:09 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
It is a 11 y o 460 and parts do break and fail. However, my brake actuator and control arms were replaced under warranty over six years ago at 58K miles. The warranty was worth it. So owners and future owners be aware.
Braking systems are not common failures in cars, most manufactures are able to design and build a brake system/actuator that lasts decades before needing to be replaced and this is safety issue. They are absolutely gouging customers with 4K+ repair bills on a safety system which many owners can't afford and would not pay such a outrageous price to get a design failure fixed so you will have more and more LS's on the road with unsafe braking systems, they are aware of the problem but should do the right thing and just fix all the systems when they go bad instead of just putting time/mileage limits on them. Instead of defending Lexus, we should demand better and for them to do what is right or else this will start being the norm. If this is the norm we might as well buy nicer German vehicles if poor reliability/design failures/gouging customers on repairs of design failures starts being common with Lexus vehicles.
diamente (05-21-18)
Old 05-21-18, 11:53 AM
steelers6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by UDel
Braking systems are not common failures in cars, most manufactures are able to design and build a brake system/actuator that lasts decades before needing to be replaced and this is safety issue. They are absolutely gouging customers with 4K+ repair bills on a safety system which many owners can't afford and would not pay such a outrageous price to get a design failure fixed so you will have more and more LS's on the road with unsafe braking systems, they are aware of the problem but should do the right thing and just fix all the systems when they go bad instead of just putting time/mileage limits on them. Instead of defending Lexus, we should demand better and for them to do what is right or else this will start being the norm. If this is the norm we might as well buy nicer German vehicles if poor reliability/design failures/gouging customers on repairs of design failures starts being common with Lexus vehicles.
I couldn't have said it better myself, Mercedes Benz,BMW,Audi,etc...they might wear down quicker than LEXUS but you NEVER,EVER hear of their braking systems failing,NEVER,matter of fact those companies have some of the very BEST braking systems especially BMW,LEXUS is BLANTANLY and IGNORANTLY putting drivers at risk for SERIOUSLY bodily harm or DEATH,it's pretty sad a billion dollar company just REFUSES to do the right thing,I've said it before and I'll say it again,IT SHOULD BE A TOTAL RECALL FOR THE BRAKE ACTUATORS AND THE PUMP,PERIOD,for those of you that are actually defending LEXUS and their well known faulty BRAKE ACTUATORS AND PUMP,all I can say is GOOD LUCK,smmfh...

Last edited by steelers6; 05-21-18 at 11:57 AM.
diamente (05-21-18)
Old 05-21-18, 05:07 PM
Cosmiccool
Driver School Candidate

I have two 07 LS 460's. One has a failed actuator, the other is starting to shutter like the brakes are warped, it maj=kes noise when the brakes are pressed, and the VSC light is on.
Old 05-21-18, 05:37 PM
steelers6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Cosmiccool
I have two 07 LS 460's. One has a failed actuator, the other is starting to shutter like the brakes are warped, it maj=kes noise when the brakes are pressed, and the VSC light is on.
Well unfortunately your 2nd LS460 is definitely showing symptoms that your brake actuator and pump are failing,it's just so IRRESPONSIBLE for LEXUS to BLATANTLY overlook something as IMPORTANT as the BRAKING SYSTEM, UNBELIEVABLE,smh...
dlbuckls10 (05-21-18)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Am I screwed? Brake Actuator failure