LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Am I screwed? Brake Actuator failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-18, 09:54 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 145 Posts

My new to me 08 made clicking noises whenever the brakes were applied.

changed out the warped rotors and put new ceramic pads on the front.

no clicking.

the warped rotors may be wearing out the brake actuator?

Ptobably was not made for that kind of continuous use?

Anyone had a failure without warped parts in the system ever?
Old 05-27-18, 06:05 AM
Lady2019
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got it installed

I just got my acutuator installed free if charged at Lexus for my 2010 Lexus LS 460 124000 Miles.

How I know this feeling all to well. I used the warranty enhancement program.

Now they are telling me that the brake pump/accumulator is bad as well and that’s another 3 Grand.

Have anyone had that problem after getting actuator replaced. That the brake pump failed while still in the shop. I believe Lexus damaged he Pump because I drove the vehicle there. Now there is no brakes.
Old 05-27-18, 06:11 AM
Lady2019
Driver School Candidate

Default I send my lexus in for acuator warranty now they say the Pump is bad to

Originally Posted by steelers6
Lexus really don't care about how DANGEROUS that faulty brake actuator and pump is,and they know it's DANGEROUS and they still won't RECALL them,a billion dollar company that could really care less,dam shame,smh...It's even harder for me to understand how long they have gotten away with it, UNBELIEVABLE...CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT should've been in place yrs ago,pretty sad LEXUS...
Originally Posted by steelers6
Lexus really don't care about how DANGEROUS that faulty brake actuator and pump is,and they know it's DANGEROUS and they still won't RECALL them,a billion dollar company that could really care less,dam shame,smh...It's even harder for me to understand how long they have gotten away with it, UNBELIEVABLE...CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT should've been in place yrs ago,pretty sad LEXUS...
I used the warranty enhancement service from Lexus for my actuator on my 2010 Lexus LS 460 before I took my vehicle to Lexus I had the vehicle diagnosed from precision tune and was told I needed an actuator and then Lexus had to do their own diagnoses and they also said it was the actuator after leaving the vehicle at Lexus for over a week with broken promises on what day the vehicle would be finished I was called and told they had bad news and the brake pump was bad Could the brake pump been damaged during the install of the actuator or the continued process of trying to bleed the brakes they also told me they broke a brake line now Lexus IS trying to tell me I need to come up with 3000 to replace the pump have anyone had this issue or know if Pump could have been damaged due to the services Lexus performed.

Thank you in advance for your help
Old 05-27-18, 06:48 PM
diamente
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I found a link that you can download free Technical Service Bulletins.

TSB
L-SB-0083-16 PUBLISHED in 2016. Includes updated part number that supersedes all previous part numbers for brake actuators.

There are other threads on CL on brake actuators. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-bulletin.html

This part is expensive, over $2K. I couldn't find it on Ebay brand new.

As for me, I am the 2nd owner. The previous owner went to a dealer in Arizona for ZLG recall on brake actuator but was denied. He was within 10 years and 150K miles. I don't have an issue yet but if I do come across it, I am going to Lexus corporate and tell them the previous owner went to the dealer but was denied. I need to be reimbursed for some of the cost.
Old 05-28-18, 04:51 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Lady2019

I used the warranty enhancement service from Lexus for my actuator on my 2010 Lexus LS 460 before I took my vehicle to Lexus I had the vehicle diagnosed from precision tune and was told I needed an actuator and then Lexus had to do their own diagnoses and they also said it was the actuator after leaving the vehicle at Lexus for over a week with broken promises on what day the vehicle would be finished I was called and told they had bad news and the brake pump was bad Could the brake pump been damaged during the install of the actuator or the continued process of trying to bleed the brakes they also told me they broke a brake line now Lexus IS trying to tell me I need to come up with 3000 to replace the pump have anyone had this issue or know if Pump could have been damaged due to the services Lexus performed.

Thank you in advance for your help
I don't think they broke the pump during the repair, chances are the pump also needs to be replaced at this point, due to mileage, wear and tear, etc. I always just assumed it would be best to replace the pump and actuator at the same time when one fails, because the other would fail soon enough.

Old 05-28-18, 09:00 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Lady2019
I just got my acutuator installed free if charged at Lexus for my 2010 Lexus LS 460 124000 Miles.

How I know this feeling all to well. I used the warranty enhancement program.

Now they are telling me that the brake pump/accumulator is bad as well and that’s another 3 Grand.

Have anyone had that problem after getting actuator replaced. That the brake pump failed while still in the shop. I believe Lexus damaged he Pump because I drove the vehicle there. Now there is no brakes.
I would be stern and tell them they broke the part and need to fix it, tell them it drove fine aside from the brake actuator shutter/warning lights and now is worse if that is what has happened. A "honest" dealership should take care of you but we know how that goes, they will likely just blame you and say it was a coincidence, but with dealerships there are at least better guarantees on their work.

When they diagnosed the brake actuator failure/issue was there any mention of the pump or any other braking issues? If you have any written diagnoses of the actuator(get it/print it out if you can) and no mention of any other issues that could help your case that you brought the car in with one single issue but now you have another very expensive one after they were done with it, you may have to unfortunately get a lawyer involved if they won't work with you. I would call Lexus Corporate too.

Sometimes it helps to use someone who is good at being "angry" but level headed and is able to quickly counter the BS excuses/confusing technical terms they throw at you to try to make you think it is your fault or they are not responsible.

Good luck.

Don't use that dealership again for the repair or any repairs in the future and I would work to source parts as cheaply as possible if they won't work with you.
Old 05-28-18, 09:32 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

At the dealership I worked at if something like this happened if the customer put up a fight they would make you pay for the part at their cost (so they didn't lose any money). Then they would pay the tech his portion of the flat rate out of their own pocket which is minimal therefore costing you no labor.
Old 05-28-18, 09:33 AM
Lady2019
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank you

Yes they had me sign a paper for the work they were doing and no the brake pump was not damaged when I took it in and there was no mention of a brake pump to me they want me to pay for something because the actuator was free they did a full
diagnostic of the abs system and brakes for $130 or l$140 which they waved due to the problem being the actuator I said I may have to contact an attorney and thanks I will definitely call Lexus Coorporate office my brother fix cars so I’m gonna take him in there with me Tuesday when they reopen. I was so happy when they told me they were fixing the issue and then here comes another problem. Shame on Lexus for having so many problems with their abs on the LS 460 Again Thank you for your input.
Old 05-28-18, 09:41 AM
Lady2019
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank you

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
At the dealership I worked at if something like this happened if the customer put up a fight they would make you pay for the part at their cost (so they didn't lose any money). Then they would pay the tech his portion of the flat rate out of their own pocket which is minimal therefore costing you no labor.
THANK YOU KENNY44 hopefully this is an option for me because I don’t have 3 Grand to fix the pump and it wasn’t damaged when I took it in could they have damaged the pump while installing the actuator or bleeding the brakes they said they had ran into a problem during the bleeding process and had to order the brake lines after having my car there for a few days.
Old 10-26-18, 11:21 AM
texas008
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

btw. a brand new brake actuator from Lexus dealership cost $1070 at www.lexussouthatlantaparts.com
I wonder how much the labor would cost, dealership & indy shop?
Old 10-26-18, 11:53 AM
texas008
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

Just called a local well known independent Lexus shop, part: $2900, labor $360.
And they do not allow bring in your own brand new oem parts.
So if you could find a good indy shop, this brake actuator issue can be solved for $1600.
Old 12-17-19, 06:52 PM
jgreezy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just purchased my 2007 LS460 a couple weeks ago and my dash just lit up tonight on my way to work, reading this warranty it has me hopeful but I think it is expired, it looks like the warranty expired 12/17 10 years from when it first was purchased, it would be nice if it was extended 10 years from 2017, sadly I don't think this is the case, I've already spent a considerable amount for the car up front so I don't have to keep dumping $$$ into a "POS" used vehicle like the Cadillac I traded for it. I still love my Lex and don't want to get rid of it but if the guy I bought it from will refund me I'm on it, hopefully I can get him to at least fix it.
Old 12-17-19, 07:00 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by jgreezy
I just purchased my 2007 LS460 a couple weeks ago and my dash just lit up tonight on my way to work, reading this warranty it has me hopeful but I think it is expired, it looks like the warranty expired 12/17 10 years from when it first was purchased, it would be nice if it was extended 10 years from 2017, sadly I don't think this is the case, I've already spent a considerable amount for the car up front so I don't have to keep dumping $$$ into a "POS" used vehicle like the Cadillac I traded for it. I still love my Lex and don't want to get rid of it but if the guy I bought it from will refund me I'm on it, hopefully I can get him to at least fix it.
yea that sucks, the seller has to be a saint to help you with the actuator.

this is one of the reasons why a $75k new car at $9k after 13 years is a risk. The repairs will be at $75k prices.. wait til you see how much suspension repairs cost.
Old 12-17-19, 07:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
yea that sucks, the seller has to be a saint to help you with the actuator.

this is one of the reasons why a $75k new car at $9k after 13 years is a risk. The repairs will be at $75k prices.. wait til you see how much suspension repairs cost.
Yep, agreed.