LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Garage Door Opener Frustrations

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-18, 05:02 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Great! Now have the LS turn on your lights and TV.
Old 11-27-18, 01:16 PM
NotFasty
Pole Position

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Kicking an old thread...

I canNOT get my 2012 LS to open my garage door.The unit is from 2015 and I am able to 'train' the car to recognize the remote... when I push the Learn button on the opener and then the Homelink button - no dice. I have tried ~ 10 times... reset the Homelink buttons each times, tried each of the 3 buttons with the car parked both inside and outside of the garage. In every case, I can get a Homelink button to blink rapidly but the opener does not recognize it.

I ended up buying a Liftmaster keychain remote to test that the opener was working properly and I was able to connect the keychain remote to the opener (proving the opener will accept a new remote).

I'm totally at a loss here: I am following the instructions from Lexus and Homelink but yet have no joy.
Old 11-27-18, 02:16 PM
jmcraney

Received 257 Likes on 197 Posts

Well, this is a convoluted sequence that you have tried - you have my sympathy. It can be confusing.

One thing you still need to try is to train your car with the remote that will operate the garage door opener, I think it is the one you refer to as "liftmaster keychain remote."

If the car will accept that remote, then you should be able to put the opener in LEARN mode and sync it with your car.

If that doesn't get you good results, let us know and I will give you some additional information.
Old 11-27-18, 03:11 PM
Luscombe8A
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by NotFasty
Kicking an old thread...

I canNOT get my 2012 LS to open my garage door.The unit is from 2015 and I am able to 'train' the car to recognize the remote... when I push the Learn button on the opener and then the Homelink button - no dice. I have tried ~ 10 times... reset the Homelink buttons each times, tried each of the 3 buttons with the car parked both inside and outside of the garage. In every case, I can get a Homelink button to blink rapidly but the opener does not recognize it.

I ended up buying a Liftmaster keychain remote to test that the opener was working properly and I was able to connect the keychain remote to the opener (proving the opener will accept a new remote).

I'm totally at a loss here: I am following the instructions from Lexus and Homelink but yet have no joy.
I ended up contacting Homelink and ordering a bridge from them. They walked me through the entire process. Once I had the bridge installed and followed the steps, I was able to get it to pair.
You may want to discuss with the homelink help desk before you destroy more brain cells.
Old 11-27-18, 05:53 PM
nc356
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not to hijack this thread, but maybe OK since related:
Does it bother anyone besides me that Homelink (and this is on numerous cars of varying makes owned over the years) is powered by an "always on" circuit?

Result: if your car is unlocked in your driveway, anyone feeling mischievous (or larcenous) can get into your garage at any time.
So now after we leave on a trip, we can look at each other and confirm that we set the light timers, turned down the thermostat and locked all cars left outside.
Old 11-28-18, 03:03 PM
NotFasty
Pole Position

Thanks for the help. I'll detail all my gear and maybe you can offer some feedback. I work in technology, so I'm no stranger to working on difficult things but this one has me stumped.
  • 2012 Lexus LS 460. Bought from a dealer, I don't know if the Homelink was functional for the previous owner.
  • 2015 Craftsman (Liftmaster) belt drive opener. It has the Learn button on both the unit and a second on the wall control.
  • Two functional remotes for the opener with new batteries
  • Liftmaster keyging remote. I recently bought this to 1) test if I could 'pair' any new remote and 2) I would use this in the Lexus if I can't get Homelink to work. It paired easily/immediately with my opener.
  • I do have a Liftmaster 855LM HomeLink Repeater Kit Bridge in my garage. I think I'm using it with my 2006 Jeep... I bought it back in 2015 and I'm having trouble remembering which vehicle required it.
Currently, everything (except the Lexus) can open the door without issue... all 3 remotes, both my other vehicles, the inside pad.

In the Lexus, when I push buttons 1 and 3 (left and right), all programming gets cleared in ~ 10 seconds... which tells me I do not need the Bridge. However, I did take the 'remote' that came with the Repeater Kit and attempted to "pair" the Lexus to it... and it did not work - the Homelink light in the car continued with the slow blink.

I have tried to: 1) program all three Homelink buttons, 2) using both the original Craftsman remotes supplied, 3) inside and outside the garage. Like I said, the car communicates with/recognizes the remotes successfully. However, when I push either Learn button and then the Homelink button, the car will not "pair" with the opener. The manual says:
Press and hold the vehicle’s programmed HomeLink button for 2 seconds and release it. Repeat this step once again. The garage
door may open.If the garage door opens, the programming process is complete. If the door does not open, press and release the button a third time. This third press and release will complete the programming process by opening the garage door.
I have tried to push the Homelink button both continuously and off and on (in 2 second intervals) & it did not "pair" AKA succesfully progam the rolling code.

I'm either missing something, or Homelink is broken or I'm missing something
Old 11-28-18, 03:04 PM
NotFasty
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nc356
Does it bother anyone besides me that Homelink (and this is on numerous cars of varying makes owned over the years) is powered by an "always on" circuit?

Result: if your car is unlocked in your driveway, anyone feeling mischievous (or larcenous) can get into your garage at any time.
So now after we leave on a trip, we can look at each other and confirm that we set the light timers, turned down the thermostat and locked all cars left outside.
This has bothered me too. I don't live in a high crime area, but always leave my Homelink-equiped vehicles locked when they are in my driveway.
Old 11-28-18, 06:05 PM
Luscombe8A
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by NotFasty
Thanks for the help. I'll detail all my gear and maybe you can offer some feedback. I work in technology, so I'm no stranger to working on difficult things but this one has me stumped.
  • 2012 Lexus LS 460. Bought from a dealer, I don't know if the Homelink was functional for the previous owner.
  • 2015 Craftsman (Liftmaster) belt drive opener. It has the Learn button on both the unit and a second on the wall control.
  • Two functional remotes for the opener with new batteries
  • Liftmaster keyging remote. I recently bought this to 1) test if I could 'pair' any new remote and 2) I would use this in the Lexus if I can't get Homelink to work. It paired easily/immediately with my opener.
  • I do have a Liftmaster 855LM HomeLink Repeater Kit Bridge in my garage. I think I'm using it with my 2006 Jeep... I bought it back in 2015 and I'm having trouble remembering which vehicle required it.
Currently, everything (except the Lexus) can open the door without issue... all 3 remotes, both my other vehicles, the inside pad.

In the Lexus, when I push buttons 1 and 3 (left and right), all programming gets cleared in ~ 10 seconds... which tells me I do not need the Bridge. However, I did take the 'remote' that came with the Repeater Kit and attempted to "pair" the Lexus to it... and it did not work - the Homelink light in the car continued with the slow blink.

I have tried to: 1) program all three Homelink buttons, 2) using both the original Craftsman remotes supplied, 3) inside and outside the garage. Like I said, the car communicates with/recognizes the remotes successfully. However, when I push either Learn button and then the Homelink button, the car will not "pair" with the opener. The manual says:

I have tried to push the Homelink button both continuously and off and on (in 2 second intervals) & it did not "pair" AKA succesfully progam the rolling code.

I'm either missing something, or Homelink is broken or I'm missing something
I feel your pain. I had similar issues with my opener.. The 2015 RX paired right away but the 2011 LS would not.

What i did was get the serial # off the garage door opener and then called Homelink. I think they have different repeaters, not sure. But they recommended a repeater which I purchased from them. After it arrived I still had a bit of trouble getting it programmed. I did create a thread about it. I was eventually able to get it programmed.

I would gather the information on your garage door opener, your existing repeater and then call Homelink. There customer service was excellent.
Old 11-28-18, 06:28 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by nc356

Yes, that has always bothered me and even though I never park my car in the driveway overnight, the last thing we do before shutting down for the night or going away for a few days is turn off power to the garage door opener - have done this for 25 years.

Dave Mac
Old 11-28-18, 06:38 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

And, if it makes anyone feel better, the liftmaster and other openers for a time were really difficult to get to work with Homelink in a lot of cars but now between a newer model of the Liftmaster opener and updated Homelink they are incredibly easy to get to work. No pushing the learn button and running back to the car. haven't tried it but it almost seems as if the homelink could be set up using a remote without even being at the location of the opener - like I said though not sure this would work.

Dave Mac