LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Garage Door Opener Frustrations

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-18, 07:26 PM
Luscombe8A
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Unhappy Garage Door Opener Frustrations

We have a Liftmaster garage door opener with rolling codes. I am unable to get my 2011 LS460 to pair with the opener. I was able to get my brides' 2015 RX350 to pair with it.

According to the manual and the dealer I confirmed and followed this procedure.
1. Press and hold buttons 1 & 3 in the LS for 30s-60s or until the light goes out. Did that and it did. This removes previous pairing information.
2. Point the remote at the #1 button, keep it within 3", press the remote button, hold it then press the #1 button and hold it until the blinking light goes from a slow blink to a rapid blink. At that point, release both buttons. The car should be paired with the Liftmaster opener.

I did step 2 and released both buttons when the LS light went to a fast blink. It did not work. When I press button #1 it blinks fast and the door does not open. When I did this in the RX350 it paired it.
I have tried steps 1 & 2 repeatedly and also tried step 2 with the #2 & or #3 button,....NADA.

I replaced the batteries in the garage door remote and the key fob and repeated the above several times. NADA.

Anyone have any suggestions? Seems like there must be something I am over looking.

I also tried the above after I removed the batteries from the Sirit RFID transmitter. I thought that might be interfering with the signal. NADA

Appreciate the help with this.
TIA

Last edited by Luscombe8A; 05-10-18 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Clarified 1.
Old 05-10-18, 07:39 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

This thread helped me.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...for-genie.html
The following users liked this post:
Luscombe8A (05-10-18)
Old 05-10-18, 07:41 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Hope these provide you with the info you require.

also, what year is the door opener? Approximately

http://www.homelink.com/program/process/1

http://www.homelink.com/program/inst...es/1/usenglish

http://www.homelink.com/program/video

Old 05-10-18, 08:03 PM
Luscombe8A
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Bgw70
Hope these provide you with the info you require.

also, what year is the door opener? Approximately

http://www.homelink.com/program/process/1

http://www.homelink.com/program/inst...es/1/usenglish

http://www.homelink.com/program/video

The garage door opener is only 3 years old.
There is a button on the motor that will allow a controller to pair with it. Push and hold until it blinks fast then you have 30s to pair the other controller. I tired that method too.
Old 05-10-18, 08:16 PM
Luscombe8A
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by BMW7_LS430
Got some ideas from this thread, Thanks.
I will try the sequences tomorrow, Homelink program first then the learn button on the opener.
Old 05-11-18, 02:37 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Luscombe8A
The garage door opener is only 3 years old.
There is a button on the motor that will allow a controller to pair with it. Push and hold until it blinks fast then you have 30s to pair the other controller. I tired that method too.
With the LS, you separately program the remote then the garage door.

you programmed the remote to your LS but not the opener.

after you have the slow then fast blinking light with the remote, go back and program the door opener.

you need to finish by performing steps 5-7...Enjoy!!!
  1. For first time training, press and hold the two outer HomeLink® buttons, releasing only when the HomeLink indicator light begins to flash after 20 seconds. (Do not perform this step when training the additional HomeLink buttons.)
  2. Position the hand-held transmitter 1-3 inches away from the HomeLink surface (usually located on your visor, overhead console, or mirror), keeping the HomeLink indicator light in view.
  3. Using both hands, simultaneously press and hold both the desired HomeLink button and hand held transmitter button. DO NOT release until the HomeLink indicator light flashes slowly and then rapidly. When the indicator light flashes rapidly, both buttons may be released. (The rapid flashing indicates successful training.)
  4. Press and hold the trained HomeLink button and observe the indicator light.
    • If the indicator light is solid/continuous, training is complete and your device should activate when the HomeLink button is pressed and released.
    • If the indicator light blinks rapidly for 2 seconds and then turns a solid/continuous light, proceed with the following training instructions for a rolling code device. A second person may make the following steps quicker and easier. Please use a ladder or other device. Do not stand on your vehicle to perform the next steps.
  5. At the receiver (motor head unit), locate the “learn” or “smart” button (usually near where the hanging antenna wire is attached to the unit). If there is difficulty locating the training button, reference the device owner’s manual.
  6. Press and release the “learn” or “smart” button (the name and color of the button may vary by manufacturer). NOTE: Once the button is pressed, there are 30 seconds in which to initiate the next step.
  7. Return to the vehicle and firmly press and hold the trained HomeLink button for two seconds and release. Repeat the “press/hold/release” sequence up to 3 times to complete the training process.
Retain the original hand-held transmitter of the RF device you are programming for use in other vehicles, as well as for future HomeLink programming. It is also suggested that upon the sale of the vehicle, the programmed HomeLink buttons be erased for security purposes. To erase the programmed buttons, perform the procedure shown in step number 1.

Old 05-11-18, 05:58 AM
rick3242
Pit Crew

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

So if your liftmaster is a newer unit you may need the compatability bridge below. We moved into a brand new house three years ago and the frequency or signal was changed on the units. My 2010 Tundra, 2010 rav4 and 2010 LS460 did not work until i purchased the below. Once I purchase it and programmed it all three vehicles homelinks worked. Strangely enough we just moved again to a newly constructed townhome and the garage door on it works fine without the bridge???? None the less this may work.
https://smile.amazon.com/Liftmaster-...ity+bridge+kit

Good Luck
Old 05-11-18, 06:26 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by rick3242
So if your liftmaster is a newer unit you may need the compatability bridge below. We moved into a brand new house three years ago and the frequency or signal was changed on the units. My 2010 Tundra, 2010 rav4 and 2010 LS460 did not work until i purchased the below. Once I purchase it and programmed it all three vehicles homelinks worked. Strangely enough we just moved again to a newly constructed townhome and the garage door on it works fine without the bridge???? None the less this may work.

Good Luck
I also had to use the Compatability Bridge from Chamberlain to get my 2006 SC430 and my 2010 LS600hL to pair with my new garage door openers. It's only $25 and solved my problem. Might be what you need?
Old 05-11-18, 06:35 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

I suggest having someone read the procedure to you (while you do the programming in the drivers seat) and "IF" it does not work after three attempts you will need the Compatibility Bridge kit. Having someone read the programming steps to you keeps you from getting confused and frustrated.
Old 05-11-18, 09:54 AM
Luscombe8A
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by rick3242

Good Luck
Rick,
Thanks for the link and suggestion.
I will try the pairing this weekend again using the suggestions in this thread. It was not clear to me that this is a two step process. First train the car via the garage remote and then link the car via the pairing on the opener. Makes sense now.

I may pick up the bridge just for insurance. The range on the garage remote is about a 300'. When I round the corner and can see the house I push the button and the door starts up and is up by the time I get to the drive. My Bride's RX homelink range seems much reduced, have to be in the driveway to get the door to respond.

Appreciate all the ideas and will track this issue down.

Thanks,
Old 05-11-18, 03:47 PM
JoeMe
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a hard time with this reading the instructions from the manual. I found watching several youtube videos on the subject helped - I think this video helped the most even though it isn't exactly the XF40. Seemed like the trick was the 3 presses while the garage door is in learn mode are "long presses", like a dash on a telegraph and not a dot. Didn't work for me if I just tapped it 3 times with short presses.

Old 05-11-18, 05:20 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Rick,
Thanks for the link and suggestion.
I will try the pairing this weekend again using the suggestions in this thread. It was not clear to me that this is a two step process. First train the car via the garage remote and then link the car via the pairing on the opener. Makes sense now.

I may pick up the bridge just for insurance. The range on the garage remote is about a 300'. When I round the corner and can see the house I push the button and the door starts up and is up by the time I get to the drive. My Bride's RX homelink range seems much reduced, have to be in the driveway to get the door to respond.

Appreciate all the ideas and will track this issue down.

Thanks,
Did you happen to call Liftmaster/Chamberlin?
if not, stop wasting your time and call them. They will tell you if you require the interface module. I have it for my older cars and Chamberlain sent me the HomeLink Compatibility Bridge and the Gateway. It is used to control my door, receive alerts etc from my smart phone and home automation system. The cost was $7 for shipping.

You said you have a lift master...this is my last attempt trying to help you solve your problem. If they don’t work, call them or a garage door company. This is not difficult unless you don’t read or follow instructions.
you will need the model or your opener.
Good Luck.
http://bridge.liftmaster.com/#/intro

Last edited by Bgw70; 05-12-18 at 02:54 AM.
Old 05-12-18, 07:56 AM
Luscombe8A
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Bgw70

Did you happen to call Liftmaster/Chamberlin?
if not, stop wasting your time and call them. They will tell you if you require the interface module. I have it for my older cars and Chamberlain sent me the HomeLink Compatibility Bridge and the Gateway. It is used to control my door, receive alerts etc from my smart phone and home automation system. The cost was $7 for shipping.

You said you have a lift master...this is my last attempt trying to help you solve your problem. If they don’t work, call them or a garage door company. This is not difficult unless you don’t read or follow instructions.
you will need the model or your opener.
Good Luck.
http://bridge.liftmaster.com/#/intro

Bgw70

I appreciate your insights and suggestions, Thank you!

However, you may want to moderate your caffeine intake as I do not appreciate your comments about reading, following instructions, wasting time and calling the manufacturer. Those were not helpful to me or to others. Just saying that I asked for assistance with what seems to be a fairly common issue and that was all.
Old 05-12-18, 10:13 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Luscombe8A,

Thank you for participating in our forum.

I know that the garage door issues can be frustrating. I have found that the best source of help is the manufacturer of the car equipment, HomeLink. If you will call them they should be able to sort out almost anything to do with garage-door-opener / car issues.

Here is a link to their web site: http://www.homelink.com/home/welcome
Old 05-12-18, 12:54 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Bgw70

I appreciate your insights and suggestions, Thank you!

However, you may want to moderate your caffeine intake as I do not appreciate your comments about reading, following instructions, wasting time and calling the manufacturer. Those were not helpful to me or to others. Just saying that I asked for assistance with what seems to be a fairly common issue and that was all.
LoL, ...just trying to emphasize the importance of taking your time and utilizing resources at your disposal...not hear to slam you...I have given your situation at least 45min of my time providing you with research and findings.

Anyway,
What was the result of steps 5-7? Pass/fail?
what is the model number of your door operator?

everything I have read says you don’t require the bridge...

links or instructions were provided in my posts but you didn’t provide any feedback as to your results.

Last edited by Bgw70; 05-12-18 at 01:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DaveGS4 (05-14-18)

Quick Reply: Garage Door Opener Frustrations