LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Garage Door Opener Frustrations

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-18, 01:45 PM
Luscombe8A
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Ok,
I watched the Liftmaster video, read the manual real slow, several times.

This is what I think I know.
Homelink in car indicates that it is programmed to the remote when the red light changes from solid to slow blink or fast blink. (Slow blink means it is programmed with the garage door opener, fast blink means rolling code style and additional pairing step required)

What I did!
I erased all programming by holding the 1 & 3 button until the homelink red light went out, about 45s
Then I pushed and held the remote button and button 1 on homelink with remote exactly 1.275689" from the homelink button.
The light went from a slow blink to a fast blink after about a minute or so.
I released both buttons. Then I pushed the #1 button on homelink two times cause that is what the Liftmaster video said to do.
Supposedly that finalizes the homelink to remote set up.

Next step - Pushed the learn button once on the Liftmaster Opener and the yellow light went solid. (Note one push and the light is solid on the opener, two pushes and the light blinks)
Sprinted to car and pushed the #1 Homelink button. Light went from fast blink to out after about 2-3 seconds. I did this 3 times cause that is what the Liftmaster video said. Should be programmed to the Liftmaster now. NADA>>>>>>>

Immediately tried this:
Pushed the learn button on the opener twice until it blinked. Sprinted to car and pressed #1 button until fast blinking red light went out. Did this three times. No Joy.

I repeated the above steps several times with the same result.

Pretty much stumped now.
Liftmaster opener is ID7675 dated 2/23/15
HBW7675

Also, the Homelink in the RX is not functioning quite right either. I tested it before starting with the LS and it would only open the door one time.

Not sure what all this indicates but seems like the communication between the opener and Homelink is wonky in the RX and not connecting in the LS.

I did order the kit from Amazon.
Stay tuned.
Old 05-12-18, 02:28 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Great detailed description of your procedure. Here is what I pulled from the website for your car and door operator.

pay special attention to the sub paragraphs in step four.

Program a Garage Door OpenerVehicle:

2011 Lexus LS
  1. For first time training, press and hold the two outer HomeLink® buttons, releasing only when the HomeLink indicator light begins to flash after 20 seconds. (Do not perform this step when training the additional HomeLink buttons.)
  2. Position the hand-held transmitter 1-3 inches away from the HomeLink surface (usually located on your visor, overhead console, or mirror), keeping the HomeLink indicator light in view.
  3. Using both hands, simultaneously press and hold both the desired HomeLink button and hand held transmitter button. DO NOT release until the HomeLink indicator light flashes slowly and then rapidly. When the indicator light flashes rapidly, both buttons may be released. (The rapid flashing indicates successful training.)
  4. Press and hold the trained HomeLink button and observe the indicator light.
    • If the indicator light is solid/continuous, training is complete and your device should activate when the HomeLink button is pressed and released.
    • If the indicator light blinks rapidly for 2 seconds and then turns a solid/continuous light, proceed with the following training instructions for a rolling code device. A second person may make the following steps quicker and easier. Please use a ladder or other device. Do not stand on your vehicle to perform the next steps.
  5. At the receiver (motor head unit), locate the “learn” or “smart” button (usually near where the hanging antenna wire is attached to the unit). If there is difficulty locating the training button, reference the device owner’s manual.
  6. Press and release the “learn” or “smart” button (the name and color of the button may vary by manufacturer). NOTE: Once the button is pressed, there are 30 seconds in which to initiate the next step.
  7. Return to the vehicle and firmly press and hold the trained HomeLink button for two seconds and release. Repeat the “press/hold/release” sequence up to 3 times to complete the training process.
Retain the original hand-held transmitter of the RF device you are programming for use in other vehicles, as well as for future HomeLink programming. It is also suggested that upon the sale of the vehicle, the programmed HomeLink buttons be erased for security purposes. To erase the programmed buttons, perform the procedure shown in step number 1.

it sounds like you did everything correctly and if this procedure is exactly what you did, its probably time to give Liftmaster a call. You certainly may have an issue with the door operator.

one more question, does the door operate just fine with the Liftmaster remote?
is the range okay?

i am guessing that is how you have been controlling the door the last three years?

Last edited by Bgw70; 05-12-18 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-12-18, 03:12 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

When i tried to program my 07 i tried several times searched around no luck. Than one day i said one more time and it programmed. I have no idea what i did different. It just worked.

So maybe walk away and come back and try later on. Its funny because somedays it works well from afar and others i have to be in the drive way. I am guessing its caused by the temp that day.

Good Luck.
Old 05-12-18, 06:27 PM
Luscombe8A
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Bgw70
Great detailed description of your procedure. Here is what I pulled from the website for your car and door operator.

pay special attention to the sub paragraphs in step four.

Program a Garage Door OpenerVehicle:

2011 Lexus LS
  1. For first time training, press and hold the two outer HomeLink® buttons, releasing only when the HomeLink indicator light begins to flash after 20 seconds. (Do not perform this step when training the additional HomeLink buttons.)
  2. Position the hand-held transmitter 1-3 inches away from the HomeLink surface (usually located on your visor, overhead console, or mirror), keeping the HomeLink indicator light in view.
  3. Using both hands, simultaneously press and hold both the desired HomeLink button and hand held transmitter button. DO NOT release until the HomeLink indicator light flashes slowly and then rapidly. When the indicator light flashes rapidly, both buttons may be released. (The rapid flashing indicates successful training.)
  4. Press and hold the trained HomeLink button and observe the indicator light.
    • If the indicator light is solid/continuous, training is complete and your device should activate when the HomeLink button is pressed and released.
    • If the indicator light blinks rapidly for 2 seconds and then turns a solid/continuous light, proceed with the following training instructions for a rolling code device. A second person may make the following steps quicker and easier. Please use a ladder or other device. Do not stand on your vehicle to perform the next steps.
  5. At the receiver (motor head unit), locate the “learn” or “smart” button (usually near where the hanging antenna wire is attached to the unit). If there is difficulty locating the training button, reference the device owner’s manual.
  6. Press and release the “learn” or “smart” button (the name and color of the button may vary by manufacturer). NOTE: Once the button is pressed, there are 30 seconds in which to initiate the next step.
  7. Return to the vehicle and firmly press and hold the trained HomeLink button for two seconds and release. Repeat the “press/hold/release” sequence up to 3 times to complete the training process.
Retain the original hand-held transmitter of the RF device you are programming for use in other vehicles, as well as for future HomeLink programming. It is also suggested that upon the sale of the vehicle, the programmed HomeLink buttons be erased for security purposes. To erase the programmed buttons, perform the procedure shown in step number 1.

it sounds like you did everything correctly and if this procedure is exactly what you did, its probably time to give Liftmaster a call. You certainly may have an issue with the door operator.

one more question, does the door operate just fine with the Liftmaster remote?
is the range okay?

i am guessing that is how you have been controlling the door the last three years?

Yes, I have been using the remote for the last three years, hanging on the visor and have had "0" issues.

One of the puzzle pieces in this scenario is the learn button on the opener. Last week I held it down for 10s and it cleared out all the openers by mistake. I had to reprogram them and the only way I could get them to learn the code was to hold the learn button down until it went from solid to blinking. When it was blinking, the remotes would be linked. That is contrary to the video I watched from Liftmaster. I am thinking I will try everything again tomorrow and make sure the learn light is blinking and I confirm step 4b. I do not recall if it went from rapid to continuous or rapid to off in that mode.

If I can not get it to work tomorrow, I will ask my 10 year old grandson to do it for me.

If that doesn't work, I'll call Liftmaster on Monday.

I keep thinking I am missing some minor step.

Anyway, I appreciate all of the comments and advice.
Update coming tomorrow.
Old 05-12-18, 08:45 PM
bigsherv
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

This sounds really basic but I almost punched myself in the face I was getting so frustrated. Make sure you have the remote, it is programmed and.... and... and... it has pretty good batteries. My remote would close the garage but for some reason it wasn't strong enough to program the homelink. I ordered the battery off amazon, swapped it and it all programmed in 1 minute.

Make sure you program the home link then push the button on the back of the opener and link them together. Good luck.
Old 05-12-18, 08:54 PM
Luscombe8A
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by bigsherv
This sounds really basic but I almost punched myself in the face I was getting so frustrated. Make sure you have the remote, it is programmed and.... and... and... it has pretty good batteries. My remote would close the garage but for some reason it wasn't strong enough to program the homelink. I ordered the battery off amazon, swapped it and it all programmed in 1 minute.

Make sure you program the home link then push the button on the back of the opener and link them together. Good luck.
I bought new batteries for both the fob and the remote. Tested the voltage before installing the batteries. Remote works the opener from over a block away.
I'll give it another shot tomorrow. I will do a little research on the opener. One press on the learn button turns on the yellow light, two presses makes it blink, long press clears previous programs.

Appreciate the encouragement
Old 05-13-18, 06:51 PM
Luscombe8A
Pit Crew

I revisited the entire process again today, several times with different approaches. The results were the same so I sent off an email to Homelink with all of the details.

I also have a bridge on order through Amazon.

Stay tuned....

Last edited by Luscombe8A; 05-13-18 at 07:00 PM.
Old 05-14-18, 09:25 AM
Luscombe8A
Pit Crew

Homelink called me today.
They asked about my vehicle MY and VIN#. There was a change in 2011 to the Homelink versions in the vehicles they said.
Said I have version 3 in my 2011 LS. Evidenced by how long it takes to clear the codes. Mine takes 20s so is not compatible with my Liftmaster with the yellow antenna. If the codes will clear in 10s then it is compatible. Tech was more interested in the color of the antenna on the liftmaster. Apparently that is the "Tell".

Solution: Need a bridge kit. I ordered it from the tech and will send the Amazon unit back as it may be from a competitor.
Total Cost $36.85 and about 16 hrs of screwing around with it However, not done yet......

Appreciate the heads up from CL on the need for a bridge.

Moral of the story, If you are unable to get it to pair after several tries, send an email to homelink.
I like to run through the trouble shooting process first, which I did, before calling in the Big Guns.
Thanks for the advice on contacting homelink bgw70
Old 05-14-18, 05:33 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by Luscombe8A
Homelink called me today.
They asked about my vehicle MY and VIN#. There was a change in 2011 to the Homelink versions in the vehicles they said.
Said I have version 3 in my 2011 LS. Evidenced by how long it takes to clear the codes. Mine takes 20s so is not compatible with my Liftmaster with the yellow antenna. If the codes will clear in 10s then it is compatible. Tech was more interested in the color of the antenna on the liftmaster. Apparently that is the "Tell".

Solution: Need a bridge kit. I ordered it from the tech and will send the Amazon unit back as it may be from a competitor.
Total Cost $36.85 and about 16 hrs of screwing around with it However, not done yet......

Appreciate the heads up from CL on the need for a bridge.

Moral of the story, If you are unable to get it to pair after several tries, send an email to homelink.
I like to run through the trouble shooting process first, which I did, before calling in the Big Guns.
Thanks for the advice on contacting homelink bgw70
Awesome!!! Glad you have a definitive solution. Too bad they didn’t provide that little nugget of vital information, in the website, about how to determine the version by how long it takes to erase the codes in the home link.

holding buttons 1&3 erases Homelink codes and determines Homelink version
20sec (ver3) = not compatible
10sec (ver4, guessing) = compatible
In all my research, I never came across this info!
thanks for sharing!

I have the bridge with my Chamberlain door operator.
The bridge comes with a device that looks like a door opener.

It is pretty simple to program but I have a couple of notes written on my instructions.
i am out of town right now but I can post my simplified steps when I get home Thursday or Friday.

BTW, I currently own two SC430s, well technically they are for my wife, but I drive them too!
Anyway, I started my search for an LS460, I started looking in the 2007-2012 range, with less than 50k miles.
The SC430s sold me on Toyota and within the next year, I will most likely give my son the Accord and I’ll pick up the LS460.
an LS600 is not out of the question, but I am not a big fan of hybrids. The batteries are way too expensive!

Last edited by Bgw70; 05-14-18 at 05:38 PM.
Old 05-14-18, 06:26 PM
Luscombe8A
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Bgw70
BTW, I currently own two SC430s, well technically they are for my wife, but I drive them too!
Anyway, I started my search for an LS460, I started looking in the 2007-2012 range, with less than 50k miles.
The SC430s sold me on Toyota and within the next year, I will most likely give my son the Accord and I’ll pick up the LS460.
an LS600 is not out of the question, but I am not a big fan of hybrids. The batteries are way too expensive!

FWIW if you have any expectations of using your phone on the built in nav screen in the LS, you may want to limit your search to 2013 and newer. Tech is better on them than 10-12. I am not aware of any aftermarket add ons that will mirror th ephone on the 10-12 MY's. I have an android and would like to be able to mirror Waze when traveling, no can do. Got a phone mount instead. May be able to pipe the sound to the stereo through the AUX but probably not.
Still lovin the awesome ride though

Bridge is supposed to arrive by end of the week. I will install on Saturday if that happens. Hopefully it will correct the 2015 RX too.
Old 05-14-18, 06:31 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Here is a link to an article that was posted in our forum several years ago. It gives some information regarding the need for the "bridge."

https://www.facebook.com/notes/liftm...21439917914472

Last edited by jmcraney; 05-14-18 at 06:35 PM.
Old 05-14-18, 08:42 PM
Luscombe8A
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jmcraney
Here is a link to an article that was posted in our forum several years ago. It gives some information regarding the need for the "bridge."

https://www.facebook.com/notes/liftm...21439917914472
Jim,
Can we get some of this info into a sticky? Maybe under the FAQ with Garage Door Opener Programming or something like that.

Last edited by Luscombe8A; 05-14-18 at 08:45 PM. Reason: FAQ Sticky Ask
Old 05-21-18, 08:16 PM
Luscombe8A
Pit Crew

I received the bridge today and installed it per the instructions.
Step one, train the homelink in the LS to the remote. Check
Step two, plug the bridge in, straighten the wire antenna. Check
Step three, press the train button on the garage door opener, the yellow light will be solid. You have 30s to press the homelink button in the LS 3 times to pair with the opener. Not so good.

Tried this with the LS and it did not work. Did the exact same thing in the 2015 RX and it paired with the opener just fine.

Step three modified, press the train button two times until yellow light on the opener blinks. Hustle to the LS and press the homelink button that I trained earlier. The second time I pressed it, the garage door opener activated. Success at last.

Now both the LS & RX are linked with the opener through the bridge. Not sure why I had to have a blinking light on the opener to link the LS but it worked.

Appreciate all the insights and help from CL members.
Thank you!
The following users liked this post:
jmcraney (05-21-18)
Old 05-22-18, 08:41 PM
tlin
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to hear about all the hassle over this. That said, I don't know why but it's always been such a satisfying little thing once you get a car's HomeLink programmed successfully - go crack a beer!
Old 05-22-18, 09:10 PM
Luscombe8A
Pit Crew

Talking

Originally Posted by tlin
Sorry to hear about all the hassle over this. That said, I don't know why but it's always been such a satisfying little thing once you get a car's HomeLink programmed successfully - go crack a beer!
Yes indeed, the little satisfying things sure do feel good when accomplished. I feel pampered now that I can open the garage door with the button near the sun roof.

I celebrated with an Old Fashioned

Quick Reply: Garage Door Opener Frustrations