LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Goodbye folks

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-18, 04:30 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Congrats on the new truck and I wish you good luck with it.

Sorry to see you go, but you can always chime in any time.

Let us know if you have any wind noise issues!
Lol! I'll tell you what I will be honest though...when I test drive the truck the salesman says to me, what do you think? How does it compare to your Lexus? I turn my head to him and I say...you serious? Like in what way? He says, you know smooth, quiet, that stuff, the ride. And I'm like, you realize you're asking me to compare an LS460 to a truck, right? I mean this is one the quietest cars ever built and you want me to compare it to a GM truck? Then we just both laughed. But I have to admit the truck is very quiet and smooth compared to a truck, but it's no LS460.

After a 100 miles of driving - I drive a lot - I can say that I'm really going to miss that 8 speed transmission of the Lexus. The GM 6 speed is just sluggish and doesn't help you with the fuel economy. And the Lexus just rolled, I mean it could just easily cruise without stepping on the gas pedal - any type of Hill the car would just pick up momentum without me touching that pedal. The truck? It takes some effort and calculation. I averaged 26.5 mpg in the Lexus by driving eas ...I'm averaging around 20 mpg in the truck trying to drive the same way (I'm hoping I can get it up to 24 when the weather gets better and I have the engine a little more broken in).

So I'll miss the transmission the most, then the brakes (nohing stops like a 460), and I always loved the ease of the electric steering of the 460 and the tight turning radius for such a big car. Great cars.But it was just time for me to move on...needed something I could "kind of do everything in". I need something for the snow, mountain biking, commuting, hauling stuff. I'm able to sell my small pickup truck that I owned when I had the Lexus and consolidate, but I'll miss that LS460.
Old 04-16-18, 05:57 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I have never driven a very modern pickup but I do go back and forth between my Grand Cherokee and my Ls460. Both are 8 speeds. They both ride incredible but if one had to go all things considered it would be the Lexus.
Old 04-16-18, 06:18 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

It was nice while it lasted. Congrats on the truck. I need to learn how to move on but I just can't lol.
Old 04-16-18, 08:06 AM
jmcraney

Received 255 Likes on 195 Posts

Doublebase,

Thank you for being a member and participating in our discussions. Your inputs have been helpful to me, and I am sure others have been helped too.

You'll be missed.

Jeff
The following users liked this post:
Doublebase (04-16-18)
Old 04-16-18, 08:20 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Hey Doublebase - Hate to see you go, but a 4 door pick-up truck has got to be about the most useful vehicle out there. I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 4X4 Quad Cab with the Cummins and a 6 speed. I've had it since before any of my sons were born. Now my sons friends are always asking my son questions about it. What kind of muffler (it has no muffler(s)), is it a 5 speed (no a 6 speed), would your dad sell it (no way Jose). I like my LS, but it would be sold LONG before my truck.

Somef my friends who don't know trucks keep asking me when I'm going to get a new truck. I like the new trucks, but man, why would I shell out a penny when my old truck gets the job done? It's like the commercial said, "I like new trucks ... especially when they get old." Good luck with the truck, don't blame you for making that move.
Doublebase (04-16-18)
Old 04-16-18, 09:59 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

Congrats on the Truck. Too bad about the LS460, seems like it went down hill, to the point of no return. Makes me think about selling my 2008 while it is in good shape and good resale value. I hope I don't get to the point where the repair cost is too big for me to consider keeping my LS460 and dumping it for whatever I can get of it.
I've entertained getting a truck many times over the years. I've only had luxury cars since 2000. I figured since I became a home owner a truck would be then best thing to have but I kept asking myself, "do I want a non luxury vehicle full time." The answer was always no. I had some interest in the 2007-2012 Toyota Tundras with the beast 5.7 V8, I just would not be very relaxing to drive with the family on long road trips. So my solution was to get a beater pickup truck and continue riding in luxury.

Last edited by JLAWS; 04-16-18 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-16-18, 10:12 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 145 Posts

Everyone(me) needs a 08 sc430, a 08 LS460 and a 2000 F250 Superduty 4x4. And a older 40’ motorhome.
Old 04-16-18, 11:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

My partner recently traded his GS350 in on a Ram 1500 truck. It suits his personality, and he handles the property management side of our business and he uses it to haul appliances and stuff from time to time. I've ridden in it a bunch of times and driven it, its nice but I would have a hard time driving one full time...he drives it downtown too and parallel parks on the street, etc.

Damn thing was $60,000 though, its hard to not make it your everyday vehicle when you buy one lol
Old 04-16-18, 11:44 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
My partner recently traded his GS350 in on a Ram 1500 truck. It suits his personality, and he handles the property management side of our business and he uses it to haul appliances and stuff from time to time. I've ridden in it a bunch of times and driven it, its nice but I would have a hard time driving one full time...he drives it downtown too and parallel parks on the street, etc.

Damn thing was $60,000 though, its hard to not make it your everyday vehicle when you buy one lol
As much as you like to lease, Steve, I can't believe you didn't talk your partner into leasing his business truck! The Ram 1500s lease extremely well. I have one that stickered around $46k, and I'm paying $250 a month on a 24 month/24k mile lease with zero down.

I agree that the combination of an LS460, an SC430, and a nice truck is pretty tough to beat - that's my arrangement, and I enjoy it. When I come out in the morning, if it's raining or snowing, I take the truck. If it's clear but cold, I take the LS. If the sun is shining and it's warm enough, it's an SC430 day! Luckily I have garage space for 8 vehicles on my acreage!
Old 04-16-18, 12:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Originally Posted by riknchar
As much as you like to lease, Steve, I can't believe you didn't talk your partner into leasing his business truck! The Ram 1500s lease extremely well. I have one that stickered around $46k, and I'm paying $250 a month on a 24 month/24k mile lease with zero down.
Have to buy it for the Section 179 deduction. He wrote the whole purchase price off in the first year
Old 04-16-18, 01:15 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by JLAWS
Congrats on the Truck. Too bad about the LS460, seems like it went down hill, to the point of no return. Makes me think about selling my 2008 while it is in good shape and good resale value. I hope I don't get to the point where the repair cost is too big for me to consider keeping my LS460 and dumping it for whatever I can get of it.
I've entertained getting a truck many times over the years. I've only had luxury cars since 2000. I figured since I became a home owner a truck would be then best thing to have but I kept asking myself, "do I want a non luxury vehicle full time." The answer was always no. I had some interest in the 2007-2012 Toyota Tundras with the beast 5.7 V8, I just would not be very relaxing to drive with the family on long road trips. So my solution was to get a beater pickup truck and continue riding in luxury.
You know it just kind of reached the point of, what do I do here? Do I sink some more money into it and keep it another 100,000 miles or do I cut bait now? I tend to side with the cut bait line of thinking when dealing with cars, especially when they reach a certain age. But I LOVED that car! No doubt it could have made it another 100,000 with a little effort.

I think youd be pleasantly surprised how some of these new trucks run and drive, especially the Tundra...my lord! Those things are smooth on the highway. But yeah the high end luxury cars like the LS are a different animal.

I drove over two hours in the Silverado today and honestly it was quiet, smooth and actually kind of fun. The weather got pretty bad up here (took it to the White Mountains for a little rest and relaxation) and I must say it's nice having four wheel drive. Can't believe it's April and it's snowing like hell outside right now up here.
Old 04-16-18, 02:04 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

newer is sometimes better

I'm tempted to trade mine in for a 13+ Camaro ZL1 w stick shift
Old 04-16-18, 02:08 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 145 Posts

Manual states up to 600 miles per liter can be within spec.

my superduty runs 1 quart per 1,000 miles since new. 130k now.

My sc and the LS are both built for 0-20w or 5-20w conventional oil. My shop mentions oil consumption if either oil mentioned is synthetic. He uses 5-30w synthetic in both cars with good results.
Old 04-16-18, 02:30 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
newer is sometimes better

I'm tempted to trade mine in for a 13+ Camaro ZL1 w stick shift
Nice car...I think I would kill myself in that thing LOL I bet it would be fun as hell tho
1WILLY1 (04-16-18)
Old 04-16-18, 05:35 PM
wayman28
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Wow

Doublebase, I joined this forum three years ago as a proud new owner of a used LS and proceeded to bombard this forum with questions. You've always provided great, balanced advice and insight. I always perked up a bit when I saw that you posted a reply to something because I knew it was probably going to be something useful. I'm going to miss that. Is it weird that I'm a little bummed we're losing you? Anyways, good luck. I don't think anyone would complain if you popped in once in a while to say hello.....or announce you pulled the trigger on an LS500.
Doublebase (04-17-18)

Quick Reply: Goodbye folks