LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

GS 350 or LS 460

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-18, 11:06 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I’ve never heard that, and the AC in my GS and my LSs was/is plenty strong.
+2, the heater and AC in my LS both work amazing, sometimes almost "too" well.
Old 04-16-18, 05:26 AM
prtuc2
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UDel
1)Likely LS but a GS F sport or with the Luxury package has more adjustments, Luxury package GS has semi aniline leather
2)LS would be quieter
3)Ride quality likely goes to LS but GS Luxury rides very well
4)Vision, if that means outward visibility then the GS is a smaller vehicle and easier to see out of. If it is looks I think a GS F sport or Luxury is better looking then a LS.
5)Handling would definitely go to the GS
6)LS for rear legroom especially long wheel base, GS should not be too different from the RX

There are other big differences and that is trouble spots/maintenance, the LS460 has several and they can be extremely expensive like control arms, air suspension, noisy suspensions, brake actuator, melting dash/arm rests, ML amps, hesitation after oil changes, early LS engine issues, and a few other ones where the 4th GS is relatively trouble free and has no real common issues. Maintenance on GS will be less expensive, much less oil to change, not as much burning oil, costs less to maintain at dealership, no real common suspension issues/pre mature failure like LS, don't need tech stream for as much maintenance, less spark plugs, etc. If you are driving in NYC you are going to be replacing suspension parts on the LS a lot more frequently, better learn DIY and avoid a AWD.

Fuel economy will be close, the LS gets good fuel economy for a V8, the GS350 gets poor fuel economy for a V6.
You brought up an interesting point about AWD, typical I won't opt out for an AWD vehicle. But, NYC from time to time get 1 foot to 2 foot of snows during the winter season does the AWD overall perform better RWD counterpart? I know for a fact the winter tires matters more than the drive train system, most of the LS model are AWD. RWD choices are limited in my local area.
Old 04-16-18, 06:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,578 Likes on 1,857 Posts

Originally Posted by prtuc2
You brought up an interesting point about AWD, typical I won't opt out for an AWD vehicle. But, NYC from time to time get 1 foot to 2 foot of snows during the winter season does the AWD overall perform better RWD counterpart? I know for a fact the winter tires matters more than the drive train system, most of the LS model are AWD. RWD choices are limited in my local area.
Ive had both an AWD LS460 and now have a RWD LS460. On all season tires the AWD car is definitely better, more secure. Lexus AWD system in their sedans is excellent, more robust than what is in the RX. However, I was really impressed by how my RWD car did in the snowstorm I drove it in. I went back into unplowed neighborhoods and deliberately put it in some difficult situations to see how it would do and it did really well.

The benefit of the AWD is if you get say high sided making a left turn or something like that you’ll be able to get free more easily.

I chose the RWD simply because I had to get a car from down south to get one optioned like I wanted. In our climate in general I would take the AWD. I like the way the RWD car drives better, but not enough to not want the AWD in the winter.

If you look through the forums there aren’t really any reliability concerns with the AWD. The reason to “avoid AWD” is because there aren’t aftermarket options for control arm replacement like there are for RWD. That just means “if you experience a failure” you’ll want to have bushings replaced vs having the arms replaced, no big deal (about as big a deal as specific for two more spark plugs LOL) The Lexus sedan AWD system has been around since 2009, in the LS, GS and IS. Plenty of history with their ability to build great AWD systems in their trucks and SUVs in the Toyota line too. Just search all these forums for AWD failures, you’ll see they’re very rare.

Last edited by SW17LS; 04-16-18 at 06:31 AM.
Old 04-16-18, 06:39 AM
prtuc2
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks once again SW17LS.
Old 04-16-18, 09:06 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by prtuc2
I hear what you are saying, it is a difficult decision. Problem is NYC is going to be hell on your suspension or at least a good deal worse then normal which means you are likely going to have to replace control arms and other things more often especially in the LS, AWD does not really have inexpensive aftermarket support for control arms yet unless you change out/press your own bushings so it could end up being a pain and expensive especially if you don't go with DIY. Being in NYC you may want to consider the GS350 more, it does not have the suspension issues the LS has, if you want AWD there is no real penalty either aside from a slightly higher ride height that takes away from the stance a little. I still think a RWD LS460 should not be terrible in the snow in NYC with a good set of all seasons rated pretty well in the snow or switching to snow tires if you are due for a bad one.
Old 04-16-18, 10:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Or you could just have a shop push out the bushings in the control arms should they fail.

The hysteria over control arms is way overblown. The LS will be a lot more comfortable to ride in over the broken NYC roads for sure. Will they cause wear to the suspension? Yes, they will on any car. Making an entire purchase decision over a potential $2,000 repair that may or may not happen at some point in the car's life doesn't make sense IMHO. LOTS of non dealer shops that specify in these cars in and around NYC also.

Control arm bushing replacement is a relatively common repair on any car thats going to see heavy use like that.

RWD LS will be fine in NYC in some snow use, the issue is finding one as after 2009 almost all of them sold in the area were AWD.
Old 04-16-18, 11:32 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Here are my priority:

1. More comfortable seats
- I did seat design for Toyota. There actually should be fairly minimal differences in all the seats. At the time I was leaving, we were transitioning to 1 basic seat platform and adjusting from the platform based on the vehicle. So here ... I'm just going to say: Tie. Others will have differing opinions.

2. Lower cabin noise
- LS wins. GS is likely better than the RX, but not as good as the LS.

3. Ride quality
- LS wins. Air ride is the best, but the standard suspension is great as well. GS more sporty. Both are better than the RX ... would be my guess.

4. Vision
- The RX may win in this department. Not exactly sure.

5. Handling
- Sedans crush SUV's. The GS being marginally better than the LS I suspect.

6. Rear leg room similar or better than my 13 RX
- Well, if you find a LS 460L, you'll have leg room out the wazoo!

My analysis only.
Old 04-16-18, 12:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The RX actually rides pretty well, but I would say the GS and LS best it.
Old 04-16-18, 12:22 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The RX actually rides pretty well, but I would say the GS and LS best it.
Yeah, maybe "crushing" the RX's handling is over-stated.
Old 04-16-18, 12:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I would agree with the "crushing" on the handling.
Old 04-16-18, 12:39 PM
Lead Lap

Received 764 Likes on 514 Posts

I took the gs460 over the ls460. Better handling.

We we also have a RX450h. That thing is economical. The ride quality on my gs with its AVS is miles ahead of the RX
Old 04-16-18, 01:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Bear in mind he's talking about a 4GS not a 3GS, the 4GS is more firmly sprung.
Old 04-23-18, 09:42 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

I can now compare a 1st gen RX to a 4th gen RX to a 4th gen LS, and to be honest, it's unfair to compare my wife's '17 RX 350 to my '08 LS 460 L.

The LS is much more comfortable, rides much better, is quicker, quieter, better built, nicer inside, our ML audio kicks the RX's to the curb, gets better highway MPG (I suspect city will be the same beatdown, too), and my land-yacht, LWB, LS out-handles the RX easily.

I can't compare the GS to anything other than to say, with the LS, you're looking at the flagship of a luxury brand. If you want the ultimate in ride and handling, search for the air suspension, preferably with the touring suspension/brakes. It's amazing a vehicle this size and mass can do what it does.
Old 04-23-18, 10:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mckellyb
I can't compare the GS to anything other than to say, with the LS, you're looking at the flagship of a luxury brand. If you want the ultimate in ride and handling, search for the air suspension, preferably with the touring suspension/brakes. It's amazing a vehicle this size and mass can do what it does.
Just to add to this. I went to southern WV this weekend, a trip I've made many, many times as its where I'm from. Theres a stretch of road, Rt 60 where it winds through the mountains, tight switchbacks uphill and downhill for like 15 miles. Its a fun road, depending on what car you're driving lol. It was awesome in my GS, not so much in my LS400, LS430 or coil sprung LS460.

HOWEVER, the road was much more enjoyable in my LWB air suspension car in Sport + mode. Its really amazing the difference actually...I would say 85% as sure footed as the GS, while the coil sprung LS460 was maybe 60%.