LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Credit card key on 2017?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-18, 07:00 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The key is programmed! Sheesh. I will contact one of the online dealers and see if they can send me a cut key insert.

So yes, the AEB key DOES work.
IMHO, must do! I only carry card keys - one for the truck one for the h, both in my wallet, and it's so convenient. However, I recently had my key card on the LS die with no low-battery warning. I was sweating bullets because my card is not original (i.e., original owner either forgot about it or lost it), and while my dealer ordered the card and insert per my VIN, I had never tested the mechanical key. The darn thing worked, thankfully.

Glad it all worked out in the end.
Old 02-01-18, 07:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Luckily if the key card battery dies I can unlock the car with the Enform app provided its not buried in some garage with no service.

I'll find a way to get the key insert I just aint paying $130 for it.
Old 02-01-18, 07:21 AM
caha14
Racer

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Luckily if the key card battery dies I can unlock the car with the Enform app provided its not buried in some garage with no service.

I'll find a way to get the key insert I just aint paying $130 for it.
Ah! I get to enjoy that feature for another month on LX (not paying to renew...); no such luxury on the '10 LS! And I hear you, $130 is highway robbery...
Old 02-01-18, 07:21 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Steve - Seems like, if the key card battery were "plum dead" that the key insert would open the car doors. But I don't see how it would crank if the vehicle never sensed a key... That is assuming you were out and did not have a fob readily available.

Course, worst case is, you get an rideshare ride to Walmart for a key card battery, and then rideshare back to your car. Problem solved.
The following users liked this post:
jmcraney (02-01-18)
Old 02-01-18, 07:35 AM
caha14
Racer

Originally Posted by Oliver Enterprises
Steve - Seems like, if the key card battery were "plum dead" that the key insert would open the car doors. But I don't see how it would crank if the vehicle never sensed a key... That is assuming you were out and did not have a fob readily available.

Course, worst case is, you get an rideshare ride to Walmart for a key card battery, and then rideshare back to your car. Problem solved.
You put the card right next to the Start button just like you would the regular key fob under low-battery conditions, and the system can provide enough power to the key to "get a response" and start the car. It works like a charm (even if you completely remove the battery)!
The following users liked this post:
jmcraney (02-01-18)
Old 02-01-18, 07:39 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Yes, I've done that before. When the battery was low. But not when the battery was "plum dead."
Old 02-01-18, 07:42 AM
caha14
Racer

Like I said, you can literally take the battery out and try it, and the car will start.
Old 02-01-18, 08:11 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Ok, yeah. That's what I was getting at. Very interesting. Before I replaced all 3 batteries like I mentioned above, there was an instance when one of my fobs would not start the car, holding it at the START/STOP button. Actually touching it. But it wouldn't work. However, I think it was because I had previously started the car with the key card next to the button. Both were low battery. I don't remember the specifics, but I remember it would not work.

However, the way I remember the above scenario happening was ... I had both of the key card and a fob in the car at the same time. It seems like, I took the fob with me because I had been getting the low battery warning on the dash when I only had the key card. So, I took them both. Got in the car and held my wallet to the button and it cranked. Then I turned the car off and tried the same thing with the fob. No dice, it would not work, I turned it and flipped it every which way. Held my wallet there again and it cranked. Later I got out of the car and went inside a store. When I came back, I tried the fob at the button first, and it worked. So I figure it was something about recognizing the key card, and that even though the battery was low, it sensed they key card was in the car so the car refused to recognize the fob. Leaving the car must have reset that, because as I said, the fob worked once I left and came back to the car. It was interesting.
Old 02-01-18, 08:15 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Both the card key and the standard wireless key employ NFC devices to facilitate starting the car when the key battery is dead or the RF spectrum is blocked. NFC devices do not require a power source.
Old 02-01-18, 08:19 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Ok, yeah. That's what I was getting at. Very interesting. Before I replaced all 3 batteries like I mentioned above, there was an instance when one of my fobs would not start the car, holding it at the START/STOP button. Actually touching it. But it wouldn't work. However, I think it was because I had previously started the car with the key card next to the button. Both were low battery. I don't remember the specifics, but I remember it would not work.

However, the way I remember the above scenario happening was ... I had both of the key card and a fob in the car at the same time. It seems like, I took the fob with me because I had been getting the low battery warning on the dash when I only had the key card. So, I took them both. Got in the car and held my wallet to the button and it cranked. Then I turned the car off and tried the same thing with the fob. No dice, it would not work, I turned it and flipped it every which way. Held my wallet there again and it cranked. Later I got out of the car and went inside a store. When I came back, I tried the fob at the button first, and it worked. So I figure it was something about recognizing the key card, and that even though the battery was low, it sensed they key card was in the car so the car refused to recognize the fob. Leaving the car must have reset that, because as I said, the fob worked once I left and came back to the car. It was interesting.
The NFC device will not come into play as long as the card key or standard wireless device being used to start the car has power or is not blocked.
Old 02-01-18, 09:07 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

I'll check my fobs for their code ... I don't mess with them much. But recently replaced batteries in both fobs and the card key. The owner's manual states about 1.5 years life of the card key battery. That's just about exactly what I got out of the last key card battery. Another thing I really appreciate about the direction of Toyota with this vehicle. Things like: When I needed RKE batteries, I found what I wanted on Amazon. Batteries at my house in 2 days. It was super simple to replace the batteries in the key card and the fobs. In 15 minutes, taking my time, I had the job done, and all the RKEs worked just fine. No silly reprogramming. No need to depend on a dealer, and pay their prices.
must depend on the Dealership, I've never paid for a battery.. I had an issue with my Smart Card where the battery died several times within a couple of days, discovered it was because I had it in my phone case and apparently there is something with phone Bluetooth and the key being close in frequencies and being that close to the phone kept the key active, where normally it is only active (or excited as the dealer called it) when it is near the car. As such it kept killing the battery, once I moved it to my wallet away from the phone, it has been nearly 2 years without the battery dying. BTW Lexus has a memo to their service teams telling them to advise customers to keep the Smart Key/Card at least a foot away from phones with active Bluetooth.

But during that time I went to the dealer multiple times over the course of 2 months and asked the porter or the parts counter guy for a battery and they just gave them to me.
Old 02-01-18, 12:42 PM
Dolph1
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a bad habit of double checking everything. These posts are very clear on how I can get a working card key but I still looked for confirmation from a highly regarded ebay seller of Lexus parts that I was good to go with what I was buying. 1st paragraph is my question and 2nd paragraph is the response.
Would you be able to confirm this will work with a 2013 Lexus LS 460? Some threads on ClubLexus seem to indicate it will.
My second question relates to the physical key that fits in the card key. Are you able to sell one to me? Could you precut it for me if I gave you my vin? I purchased this car from a Lexus dealer as a certified Lexus a few months.
I can not confirm unfortunately that this would be compatible with the 2013 LS460. I have heard that some people have found a way to make other keys work however I do not know what method they use. Our dealership would not attempt to program a key we know is not for the vehicle so it has never been attempted here. For the metal blade, we order those in precut from Lexus but in order to do that you would have to be here in person with proof of ownership and a matching photo ID.

Thinking about this I can’t help but come to the opinion lexus corporate is to blame for the lack of dealer knowlege/confidence on this matter. It is not the dealers fault! Lexus corporate needs to send out a tsb on the card key with a full list of compatibility across both the Lexus and Toyota lines. Some Toyota owners are using these Lexus cars keys too.
Old 02-01-18, 03:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The key with the part number that I bought specifically does fit the 13-17 LS460, if you search the online Pete catalogs by your VIN it should come up as compatible...
Old 02-04-18, 05:04 PM
rgs92
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I asked my dealer (well, my service advisor) if there was *any* alternative to the giant key fob on my '14 LS, but he said no. I'd be interested also.
[Ha-ha, in its leather case that I always use, it feels like it weighs a pound (subjectively compared to other car fobs).]

Last edited by rgs92; 02-04-18 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-04-18, 05:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rgs92
I asked my dealer (well, my service advisor) if there was *any* alternative to the giant key fob on my '14 LS, but he said no. I'd be interested also.
[Ha-ha, in its leather case that I always use, it feels like it weighs a pound (subjectively compared to other car fobs).]
Hes definitely wrong

Quick Reply: Credit card key on 2017?