LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Credit card key on 2017?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-18, 05:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Just because a dealer says it can't be programmed doesn't mean it actually can't. Some dealers are more by the book and refuse to try anything that may not 100% work. The woman I talked to was a Lexus dealer employee and she said that key would in fact work. She also said theres no risk to the car to try it, worst case the key just won't program.

HOWEVER, she also told me that there is actually a specific card key part number for the 13-17 LS, 89904-50L80. She said they don't have them in stock and don't sell them on their eBay store, but Googling the part number gave me lots of online options and confirmed fitment for my car. Just ordered it and will return the one I received today.

BTW, the card key is really nice. Its metal, not plastic and fits well in my credit card case.

Will keep everybody updated
Old 01-23-18, 08:52 PM
texaslocal
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Just because a dealer says it can't be programmed doesn't mean it actually can't. Some dealers are more by the book and refuse to try anything that may not 100% work. The woman I talked to was a Lexus dealer employee and she said that key would in fact work. She also said theres no risk to the car to try it, worst case the key just won't program.

HOWEVER, she also told me that there is actually a specific card key part number for the 13-17 LS, 89904-50L80. She said they don't have them in stock and don't sell them on their eBay store, but Googling the part number gave me lots of online options and confirmed fitment for my car. Just ordered it and will return the one I received today.

BTW, the card key is really nice. Its metal, not plastic and fits well in my credit card case.

Will keep everybody updated
Looking forward to hearing the outcome, I am interested in getting one.
Old 01-24-18, 03:37 AM
Dolph1
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Great thread. I’ll be getting one too for my 13 lwb awd if this works for you. Thanks so much for being a trailblazer.
Old 01-24-18, 05:12 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Steve - The guy I bought my car from ... he was not a trailblazer. I seriously doubt he would have gone out of his way to purchase a card key then have it set up. And ... I wonder if setting that card key up would have been logged into the dealer service. When I look through the dealer service history, that work is not there. I wonder if the GL1EFs came with the key card...
Old 01-24-18, 05:38 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Steve - Maybe this is an idea. If someone with a 600hL would look for card key content in their owner's manual. My thinking is this:
  • If the 600hL owner's manual says, "If equipped" regarding the content, then yes, it could be that the card key was ONLY for the 600hL.
  • If the 600hL owner's manual differs, like for example, it does not include the words "if equipped," then that means that some 460's could come equipped with the card key.

I can tell you in my Toyota and Hyundai-Kia factory experience, that the factory (including all the way down to the line workers) do not distinguish a vehicle via its model (460 vs 600), models are only distinguished by VIN. I have read (but don't know the fact) that all 600hLs are GL1EFs. Which mine is as well. A rare 460 that is a GL1EF.

This is why it is my proposition that the card key came with GL1EFs. Yes, an interesting thread indeed!
Old 01-24-18, 06:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That doesn’t mean that the dealer didn’t sell him a card key when he bought his car.

Everything i have ever seen shows the card key was standard on the 600h only. Even though you have that VIN range you don’t have the leather dash from the 600 for instance...
Old 01-24-18, 01:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

So this card key thing is starting to **** me off. So the online parts store I bought it from (affiliated with a dealer as they all are) had the best price. Their system shows the key is only compatible with 13-16 LS460s, while other online systems show that of course it is also compatible with the 2017, which is identical. They emailed me this morning after placing the order last night asking for my VIN. I emailed the VIN and told them what I had found, that their system only showed it through 2016 but that I had confirmed with several other dealers that part is the correct part for my car.

Well, they email me in response with this:

According to our database, this part number does not work with your vehicle. This item is electrical and not returnable. Would you like to proceed with the order or cancel it?
This is despite their website saying that they clearly have a 60 day return policy and a 10% restocking fee. I responded back by telling them again what other sites said, and sending them a screenshot as shown below, when with a VIN check it comes back compatible:

To which I get the following reply:

Your order has been cancelled and refunded.

Thank you!
Nice.
Old 01-24-18, 01:49 PM
texaslocal
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

So this card key thing is starting to **** me off. So the online parts store I bought it from (affiliated with a dealer as they all are) had the best price. Their system shows the key is only compatible with 13-16 LS460s, while other online systems show that of course it is also compatible with the 2017, which is identical. They emailed me this morning after placing the order last night asking for my VIN. I emailed the VIN and told them what I had found, that their system only showed it through 2016 but that I had confirmed with several other dealers that part is the correct part for my car.

Well, they email me in response with this:

This is despite their website saying that they clearly have a 60 day return policy and a 10% restocking fee. I responded back by telling them again what other sites said, and sending them a screenshot as shown below, when with a VIN check it comes back compatible:

To which I get the following reply:

Nice.
I love that we can expect no critical thinking skills from the folks in these roles. I’ve had to adopt deep breathing techniques to keep my head from exploding during situations like these in public.
Old 01-24-18, 02:10 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Quote:
Your order has been cancelled and refunded.

Thank you!Nice.
Hey ... that's above average for a dealership. At least you're not out the money. Most of the time it goes the opposite way.

I'm suggesting you have a phone call discussion with them, with the mindset of "you get more flies with honey." And suggest that for YOU, this be an experiment, if it works, then they (and only they, meaning that dealership) will know it works for 2017s. And that other 2017 owners can come to them.

If it doesn't work, the offer you the normal return policy.

For some reason, my "quote" function is not working normally. And neither is the line spacing...
Old 01-25-18, 09:48 AM
jimrd
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Hoping to see a successful end to this....want to get a keycard for my '15.
Old 01-25-18, 09:53 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

well I was told that the credit card key was not available and would not work for my RCF back in 2015. But the Service Manager at my dealer did some digging and was able to come up with the part number match for my VIN and gave me the part number, as their price was $100 more than the online price.. I ordered the key and he programmed it for me and it has always worked and is the only "key" I actually use.

there are several dozen different part numbers for it, based on the vehicle and FCC ID. .
Old 01-25-18, 11:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Don't listen to dealers at all, they literally have no idea until you find that one who finally does.

I went by and exchanged the one I bought on eBay today, interestingly enough the seller is local. He tried to program it just to give it a shot. Yeah, it don't work lol. With both keys in the front seat, the car gets VERY unhappy! Screens flashing, yikes.

I can confirm the car is fine though, so trying to program the wrong key doesn't hurt it.

The right key is ordered from yet another place and is on its way.
Old 01-25-18, 12:40 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Don't listen to dealers at all, they literally have no idea until you find that one who finally does.
while I agree to a point, the SM at my dealer owned an RCF at the time (might still he left the dealership and went to another brand) he bought the first credit card key and tested it on his car before giving the info to me.. He was as interested in having one as I.
Old 01-25-18, 01:19 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

... until you find that one who finally does.
mjeds, What Steve said falls under the above for your case...
Old 01-25-18, 02:18 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Oliver Enterprises
mjeds, What Steve said falls under the above for your case...
um yeah I got that.. my point was he didn't know either, he choose to research it.

Quick Reply: Credit card key on 2017?