LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Double Stacked

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-18, 08:25 AM
Spudo769
Pit Crew

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Double Stacked

We are having a brief warm up, so I cleaned my garage floor and finally got around to installing 2 sets of Oliver Exhaust vents. Install went pretty smoothly with the rear up on ramps providing just enough room. The old bolts were kind of rusty but broke loose with a little elbow grease. There is a heat shield that interferes somewhat with the upper bolt on the passenger side, but I bent it up out of the way and then bent it back.

I wasn't sure that it would be a dramatic difference but when I fired it up i literally laughed out loud at how good and different it sounded. A bit louder yes, but the different deeper tone is amazing. What was a mild mannered quiet sound now has a deep authoritative voice to it. It reminds me a lot of my grandfather's 69 Gran Prix with exhaust upgrades back in the day. I wasn't sure if 2 sets would be too loud, but for me it is just right. Wife was even impressed, even though she shakes her head most of the time at her 55 year old husband who still has a 17 year old living inside him that just won't die!

Thanks Jason for the product and follow up. Best money spent so far.
Old 01-20-18, 09:03 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Wife was even impressed, even though she shakes her head most of the time at her 55 year old husband who still has a 17 year old living inside him that just won't die!
Sounds identical to my situation (even my age is 55). My wife was impressed as well. I just went with one set, but the sound for me is perfect.
Old 01-20-18, 06:26 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Spudo769
We are having a brief warm up, so I cleaned my garage floor and finally got around to installing 2 sets of Oliver Exhaust vents. Install went pretty smoothly with the rear up on ramps providing just enough room. The old bolts were kind of rusty but broke loose with a little elbow grease. There is a heat shield that interferes somewhat with the upper bolt on the passenger side, but I bent it up out of the way and then bent it back.

I wasn't sure that it would be a dramatic difference but when I fired it up i literally laughed out loud at how good and different it sounded. A bit louder yes, but the different deeper tone is amazing. What was a mild mannered quiet sound now has a deep authoritative voice to it. It reminds me a lot of my grandfather's 69 Gran Prix with exhaust upgrades back in the day. I wasn't sure if 2 sets would be too loud, but for me it is just right. Wife was even impressed, even though she shakes her head most of the time at her 55 year old husband who still has a 17 year old living inside him that just won't die!

Thanks Jason for the product and follow up. Best money spent so far.
I would like to hear it with 2 sets on. Could you post a video please?
Old 01-20-18, 06:29 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Sounds identical to my situation (even my age is 55). My wife was impressed as well. I just went with one set, but the sound for me is perfect.
Funny how the wives approve lol. I like how it still sounds quiet enough at certain rpm's but gives a nice deep tone when you get on it. I'll use the manual gear shift from time to time just to be able to hear it when holding gears.
Old 01-20-18, 06:45 PM
Spudo769
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by DarKnight
I would like to hear it with 2 sets on. Could you post a video please?
Will try tomorrow.
Old 01-21-18, 10:11 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

Here's yet another guy whose wife tolerates the teenager in a 50 year old (this year).

I don't know if she accepts her husband is just that way after being together for 27 years, or if, after 65 years, she's just run out of fight.

No...I know she's a fighter, she just lets me do pretty much whatever.

I really wish there were something which could be done to allow a decent amount of intake 'roar', but the intakes on this machine are rather complex.
Old 01-21-18, 10:55 AM
Spudo769
Pit Crew

Here is a link to a video I made today. quite frankly I've never heard a recording or video that does justice, as I think it is a low frequency change best heard in person, but here it is:

Old 01-21-18, 12:23 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

Yeah, microphones on cameras/phones typically lack the ability to record much below 100-125 hz.
Old 01-22-18, 06:19 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Spudo - Just noticed this post. Nice write-up. Thanks!

And yes, you're right. You said the same thing I've been saying ... the recordings don't do it justice. It sounds way better in-person. Mine sounds JUST EXACTLY like yours when I record it. But in real life, it is WAY MO' BETTUH. I'm still surprised when I drive mine and just how good it sounds. The best thing is letting it wind up and shifting at 3,000 rpm. From 2,500 to 3,000 rpm, it sounds SWEEEET! I've even gotten to the point where I can manually down shift and blip the throttle myself (when downshifting), and can do this smoothly. And DAGUM it sounds good shifting down. I'm envious of the F-Sport guys who can down shift with the automatic rev-matching!

Kelly - Lexus does make a gadget that creates intake noise. But from memory, it is rather expensive. And a few who have done it, and posted on here, are only mildly satisfied with it. However, if you had Exhaust Vents on your car, I seriously doubt you'd give a rip about increasing your intake noise. Our air filter boxes have a pre-filter on them. (At least) one guy on here removed the pre-filters and said it increased the intake sound. I took a look at it, but the pre-filters seem to be sonically welded on. If I could find a way to make them removable (meaning, pull them off, put them back on reliably) I would do it myself. But, I think they have to be "broken-off" to be removed. I'm not really down with that, unless I can determine a reliable way to re-attach.

Jason Oliver
Old 01-23-18, 07:26 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Maybe if you have another one day sale in the spring i will bite.
Old 01-29-18, 11:47 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Johnny (et. al),

I suggest to purchase as soon as you are able to. Once the Stealth Vents become available, I have a feeling they're going to cost me more to prepare for sale than the current vents. That being said, the Stealth Vents may be a skosh higher, but I will keep the cost as close to the current as possible. Either way, these and the Stealth Vents will be about 1/5th the cost of the next less friendly option that has an equivalent sound.

Jason Oliver
Old 01-29-18, 03:54 PM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 232 Likes on 183 Posts

Yeah, recordings don't do it justice as said.

I only have the single stack and I'm perfectly happy with how it sounds. I just wish the exhaust gases wouldn't be visible under my car during the super cold days here in Chicago, but it's something I'll live with.