LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Wrapped my door panels: before and after

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-18, 09:56 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Looks nice, it is shame you and others have had to shell out a lot of money for Lexus's mistake/design failure and that even in 2010 after it was known for a few years it was still never fixed.
Old 01-20-19, 07:29 AM
cup951
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How did they attach?

I bought a 38k mile LS 18 months, running great at 85K. Went to upholstery shop and they refused to cover panels as there was no a sufficent place to seam and sew the leather. They indicated it would come off and they would not do it. How did they attached the vinyl? Or can someone recommend a good shop in the DMV?
Old 01-20-19, 07:53 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 210 Likes on 188 Posts

Basically it looks like it had factory leather, my door panels have factory leather, yours look exactly the same I think. Looks good. I suggest using aerospace 303 on it so the vinyl does not degrade.. that stuff is magic
Old 01-20-19, 08:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

That shop just doesn't have any idea what they're talking about.
Old 01-20-19, 07:17 PM
cup951
Driver School Candidate

Like the factory look in the pic.

Highly respected shop. But I think your right. They missed it on this one. Seeing another shop tomorrow. Thanks all
Old 01-21-19, 07:24 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 335 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by cup951
I bought a 38k mile LS 18 months, running great at 85K. Went to upholstery shop and they refused to cover panels as there was no a sufficent place to seam and sew the leather. They indicated it would come off and they would not do it. How did they attached the vinyl? Or can someone recommend a good shop in the DMV?
I think my shop used some type of glue or adhesive to secure it to the door panel. I remember him mentioning the rear passenger door panel was the hardest for them to get it to "hold" properly - not coincidentally, that door panel was the ugliest of the four from the "sticky" issue. It has held up very well through the insane FL heat and humidity last summer and I am glad I did this.

However, if you have issues with your door panels, want to make sure you're aware of the ZLZ warranty coverage through 2020 or 2021 offered by Lexus where they will replace the door panels, glove box, center console, etc. if your car suffers from the "sticky" and discoloring issue that has plagued so many LS, GS, and IS owners. Your car does not need to be under Lexus warranty to be eligible- you just take your car in and reference the program and they'll take pics of your interior and submit to Lexus. There are other threads around this program - looks like you're new to the forum so want to make sure you're aware you have other options instead of paying out of your pocket to address what may be covered by the ZLZ program.
Old 01-21-19, 07:28 AM
cup951
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I think my shop used some type of glue or adhesive to secure it to the door panel. I remember him mentioning the rear passenger door panel was the hardest for them to get it to "hold" properly - not coincidentally, that door panel was the ugliest of the four from the "sticky" issue. It has held up very well through the insane FL heat and humidity last summer and I am glad I did this.

However, if you have issues with your door panels, want to make sure you're aware of the ZLZ warranty coverage through 2020 or 2021 offered by Lexus where they will replace the door panels, glove box, center console, etc. if your car suffers from the "sticky" and discoloring issue that has plagued so many LS, GS, and IS owners. Your car does not need to be under Lexus warranty to be eligible- you just take your car in and reference the program and they'll take pics of your interior and submit to Lexus. There are other threads around this program - looks like you're new to the forum so want to make sure you're aware you have other options instead of paying out of your pocket to address what may be covered by the ZLZ program.

I visited two dealers and both advised it was not covered under warranty and was advised to call the Lexus 800 number. Which is ridiculous given the condition of the panels.

Talked to a guy today who is willing to take on the challenge. The two "high end" guys were a hard "no".

Old 01-21-19, 07:40 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

I visited two dealers and both advised it was not covered under warranty and was advised to call the Lexus 800 number. Which is ridiculous given the condition of the panels.

Talked to a guy today who is willing to take on the challenge. The two "high end" guys were a hard "no".
The dealers do not make the decision on if it's covered under warranty. They have to take photos and submit to Lexus and Lexus corporate decides. What year is your car? I have a very late production 2010 (bought that thinking I was safe from the issue which seemed to be on 07-09) and as you could see, my door panels were bad. My glove box, center console, and lower dash are starting to look bad and I had my photos taken last week. You can go to the Lexus Drivers Site, create an account, and enter your VIN for documentation that you feel your car is impacted as part of the ZLZ replacement. They're even doing it on 2013 models from what i've read.
Old 01-21-19, 07:44 AM
cup951
Driver School Candidate

Doing it now. Thanks for the input. I will keep you posted.
Old 01-21-19, 08:06 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Doing it now. Thanks for the input. I will keep you posted.
Check out post 24 in this thread on how to send the email: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...natives-2.html Actually the whole thread is probably worth a quick read for you.

I'd also recommend this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...panel-etc.html

Trying to save you some cash to wrap your door panels when they likely will be covered by this program. Strange that 2 dealers told you it's not covered by warranty- this issue impacts IS, GS and LS owners. Seems odd the service folks at 2 different dealers haven't had owners complaining about it. Once you contact Lexus (provide them your VIN) and mention your door panel "sticky" issue and discoloration, you'll get an email back saying it has been documented and for you to go to a Lexus dealership for photos. I did mine last week - was in and out in under 10 minutes. Takes a few weeks supposedly for Lexus to review pics and approve, then depends on parts availability as to how quickly they can be replaced.
Old 01-21-19, 09:24 AM
cup951
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. Will read ASAP.
Old 01-21-19, 01:26 PM
ngaybuon55
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

That is look good jrmckinley but the stitches will make your elbow uncomfortable when driving. I learn that on the first car door panel warped. The second one I asking them stitches exact the factory one and I feel much better. They cost me $100 per door.
Old 01-21-19, 01:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

That looks just like the factory stitching...
Old 01-21-19, 02:08 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Very nice ngay - yours look great and you got a killer price. I actually never rest my arm on the door handle so have never noticed if it would bother me or not. I drive with my left hand so I tend to lean on the center console with my right arm.
Old 01-22-19, 05:16 PM
cup951
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Check out post 24 in this thread on how to send the email: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...natives-2.html Actually the whole thread is probably worth a quick read for you.

I'd also recommend this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...panel-etc.html

Trying to save you some cash to wrap your door panels when they likely will be covered by this program. Strange that 2 dealers told you it's not covered by warranty- this issue impacts IS, GS and LS owners. Seems odd the service folks at 2 different dealers haven't had owners complaining about it. Once you contact Lexus (provide them your VIN) and mention your door panel "sticky" issue and discoloration, you'll get an email back saying it has been documented and for you to go to a Lexus dealership for photos. I did mine last week - was in and out in under 10 minutes. Takes a few weeks supposedly for Lexus to review pics and approve, then depends on parts availability as to how quickly they can be replaced.

Lexus approved. All new panels, dash, glivebox and center console. Dealer said be patient. Has other customer currently waitkng 4 months and parts have not arrived. Couldn't be happier. Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: Wrapped my door panels: before and after