LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

high height

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-18, 08:21 AM
jpustover
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default high height

LS460L - 2010 -
If I drive all the time with "High Height" on, does it create any problems or hurt the car?
Old 01-02-18, 11:40 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Nope, have fun!
Old 01-02-18, 04:36 PM
Scrutator
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Might reduce your gas mileage a bit.
Old 01-10-18, 04:06 PM
Shad034
Driver

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Why would you want to do that? I don't mean that in a bad way, legitimately curious what the use case would be for driving all the time in high. I only use it when I'm driving on dirt/gravel roads or when I'm parking and the curbs look kinda high.
Old 01-10-18, 05:08 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

I've read around 50 mph it automatically goes back to normal height. Normal is the default setting but driving around in "high" shouldn't hurt your LS.
Old 01-11-18, 07:28 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Shad034
Why would you want to do that? I don't mean that in a bad way, legitimately curious what the use case would be for driving all the time in high. I only use it when I'm driving on dirt/gravel roads or when I'm parking and the curbs look kinda high.
Easier entry and exit for older folks is just one good reason. I did this last weekend when I chauffeured my mom and grandparent-in-laws to my oldest daughter's volleyball tournament. Those few inches make all the difference for someone north of 60.
Old 01-13-18, 09:43 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

That extra inch-and-change makes a huge difference for those of us who have abused our bodies badly, too.

Though, I have to admit, I lowered mine a little, too, so 'height high' isn't that much higher than 'normal' on untouched air.

I just have to remember to press the button about 30 seconds before I plan to get out. If I forget, meh, it's a nice place to spend 30 more seconds.
Old 01-13-18, 09:53 AM
Shad034
Driver

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Those are some excellent reasons. I have older parents as well and never thought about that. I'll have to start doing that. Aside from entry/exit, any other reason one wants to drive around in high? I would think that would lead to some excessive rolling and handling being a bit weird as the car is on "stilts"
Old 01-15-18, 03:36 AM
mizakazim
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Driving on high always will not give you any benefits nor will it effect your car in anyway but I always use it when there is snow or muddy areas so the bottom of the car can avoid stuff or when I’m driving through areas where the front lip/bumper might scratch so that extra height will save me from those things
Old 01-16-18, 07:38 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Shad034
I would think that would lead to some excessive rolling and handling being a bit weird as the car is on "stilts"
Our suspensions are active, they remain flat through corners regardless of height due to active dampening.
Old 01-16-18, 09:38 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 213374U
Our suspensions are active, they remain flat through corners regardless of height due to active dampening.
Hmm, is it really supposed to stay flat always, 213374U? We have air on our 2013 and it leans during turns while in Comfort mode (though not as severe as lean in an LS 430). Normal and Sport+ stay pretty flat in turns. I don't think there's anything wrong with our LS and no codes thrown during regular checkups. When I test drove some 2007 and 2008 LSes with air they exhibited the same behavior, noticeable lean on the softest suspension setting but better posture in Sport mode. I wish Comfort would keep the car level during spirited driving.
Old 01-17-18, 06:50 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Besides being easier for entry/exit (for me), being on 'height high' reduces, but doesn't prevent, how much the underbody cladding drags when I enter/leave my garage. Our driveway is pretty steep, and the LWB is just enough to reduce breakover to the point it drags a little bit.

It's also easier to get a floor jack under it when raised.

213374U, it's not active, per se, but it's not as passive as steel springs. The reactive aspect of the dampers keeps things more level, but there's still body roll, and on the air-ride machines, there's still steel anti-roll bars front and rear.

The front bar's mounts are the perfect place for jackstands, in fact.

Now, the Mercedes SLS system, and to a slightly lesser degree, the first-gen Infiniti Q45a, really are active systems, and you're right, effectively no body lean. Having driven one of each, It's an odd feeling.

In fact, the 2003-2004 Mercedes CL55, which has SLS, was in direct competition with the LS I have. I'm glad I went this direction. SLS failure is a five-digit repair bill, or you have to get creative with suspension parts from other Mercedes automobiles.

As much as I wanted a 493 HP AMG two-door, which is a hardtop, and cost six-digits when new, there weren't many imported, and I need something dead-nuts reliable for my 60 miles a day of commuting. I could see certain parts on the CL failing and I'd have to wait a week, or more, for something which should be $50, yet is $750 because of what it's for. We have a third car, a 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9L, but man...11 MPG in town.
Old 01-17-18, 07:32 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

I heard, but don't know the fact, that in normal height mode, that once at interstate speeds, the vehicle lowers itself somewhat (with air suspension). So, when on HEIGHT HIGH it's not that it lowers back to normal when on the interstate, it's just lowering because that's what it's programmed to do. Least that's what I've heard.
Old 01-18-18, 08:20 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

I've been meaning to check this on the way home by driving at 65+ MPH, then, as I'm exiting the highway at said speed, putting it in neutral, killing the engine, slowing quickly, and turning off the ignition. Then measure the height of the front and rear wheel arches to the ground. I have measurements from OEM settings, after I tweaked them in Fakestream, and when on "height high", so this should be easy to answer.

I've checked in the garage, with the engine 'off', but the ignition 'on', the car will not engage the compressor or bleed off air.

Plus, after measuring, I'll fire her (though it's kind of a 'him', and still nameless after 16 months) up, and watch to see if the body rises. If it does, I'll measure how much.

I have the perfect exit on the way home from work, as few people get off there, it's a toll road (low traffic volume most of the day), and it's multi-lanes with shoulders.

Stay tuned, I'll do it, tomorrow.
Old 01-27-18, 11:38 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

My apologies for it taking so long, but I finally had a chance to check the lowering-at-speed thing for air-suspension.

Twice, I had to detour for traffic, once I forgot, but last yesterday, I was at 75 MPH for about 10 minutes, exited, and before I dropped below 65 MPH, I hit the hazards, stomped on the brakes, killed the engine as soon as I came to a halt*, then got out and walked about 1 1/2 lanes away (Silvia...I think she finally has a name) to take a look/watch.

Hmmm...looks the same as she does on 'height high', though I need to qualify that, as I've adjusted the ride height in Techstream as much as possible. This adjustment range is only about 1/2-3/4 of an inch, IIRC.

This exit doesn't see much traffic at 3 PM, so I waked back over, restarted the engine, then hobbled back to where I was. I let Silvia idle for a solid minute, no change in height at all.

I could properly adjust the ride height, at the sensors, but that'd take hours, and I'm concerned lowering from where it sits, now, at speed, will be too close to the bump stops.

* I found the engine will not shut off while you're moving at any significant speed. I guess this makes sense, what with brake-by-wire and all, but it was rather odd.

Quick Reply: high height