LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Bad mid-range driver (speaker)?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-17, 11:32 AM
rvgraham
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bad mid-range driver (speaker)?

One of my mids seems to have gone bad, certain songs have a sustained frequency that causes harsh distortion out of one of the passenger rear mid range speakers. Are they all interchangeable? The parts numbers might be different due to different mounting bracket configuration, so the reason I'm asking is that I ought to be able to swap out just the 4" driver from one mounted in a bracket intended for a different location in the car.

Thanks
Old 12-20-17, 01:24 PM
rvgraham
Driver School Candidate

Default One of you must know...

Maybe I stated it too technically (I used to manage a high-end audio store)

Each mid-range/tweeter assembly contains one tweeter and one mid-range. The bracket holding them might be different for each location, but the tweeters and mid-ranges can be removed from their bracket. What I'm asking is, once removed from the location-specific bracket, are they all the same?
Old 12-20-17, 07:28 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Left and right speakers are the same but the mounting brackets may be different (mirror image). You should be able to remove the speaker from the bracket and replace it.
Old 12-21-17, 09:44 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Before you replace that driver, are you sure this isnt a resonance vibration from your door panel? I was convinced my passenger door driver was hooped but it turned out to be a loose piece behind the panel
Old 12-21-17, 10:03 AM
rvgraham
Driver School Candidate

Yes, your advice is correct. I have downloaded a tone generator app onto my smartphone, which I can hook up to the car stereo through the aux cable and hopefully find a frequency that will excite this distortion/vibration. Then I can determine, with a stethoscope if necessary, exactly which driver is making the noise and whether it's coming from the driver itself or from some nearby car trim or a particle of something trapped inside the driver mesh cover.

Getting ready to move cross-country (California to Florida) in this car next week, excited and worried. I have replaced the battery, the (failing) HID bulbs, and will be doing the water pump, coolant and oil this Saturday in advance of departure 7 days later. I've just bought the car and it has 114,000 miles on it, hence the precautions. The speaker issue is therefore of secondary importance because very few songs have any content that causes this effect.

Bob Graham