LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

what is the better LS, standard or F-sport ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-17, 07:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by Dryrunner
Maybe I was a little flip on my last statement. What I meant is that buying an $80K+ car in general has increased costs of just about everything compared to a Camry. Tires, brakes, head unit failures, insurance, gas, oil changes, etc. So, where do you draw the line? Taking away the pleasure/benefits of air suspension? We have a GL550 with all the breakable bells and whistles. We knew what we were getting into, but the ride, oh, its good, real good. The non air, non active curve ride, not so good. If you going to live large, go for all of it. IMHO.
It's all relative. I've had the LS with air suspension, and I've had it on coil springs. I've driven multiple of each. The ride is very similar. The coil suspension feels very much like the air setup in normal mode, Which most people are going to leave the car in. I think the car is a little too floaty in comfort mode with the air suspension. I would also say the coil spring car rides a little better than an F Sport with air. All things equal, I would take the air suspension just for the additional functionality, but all things aren't equal because it's very expensive to replace, and IMHO there's not a benefit that outweighs that if it's a car you're going to keep outside of the warranty.

Also remember, 90% of the posters here did not spend $80k for an LS, they spent $20k-45k for a used LS, so yeah, a potentially $4,000 air suspension replacement is 10-20% of the cost of their car, so that's really significant.

You going to keep that GL550 out of the warranty? Must have a lot of disposable income lol.

That's why it's good there's an option, people can choose what they want. You talk like the car turns into a Camry without the air suspension and that's just not the case lol, it's very similar and a lot more reliable. So, it's all about risk vs reward and that's a decision people can make.

Last edited by SW17LS; 09-09-17 at 08:24 AM.
Old 09-09-17, 04:43 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
... I think the car is a little too floaty in comfort mode with the air suspension. I would also say the coil spring car rides a little better than an F Sport with air. All things equal, I would take the air suspension just for the additional functionality, but all things aren't equal because it's very expensive to replace, and IMHO there's not a benefit that outweighs that if it's a car you're going to keep outside of the warranty.

Also remember, 90% of the posters here did not spend $80k for an LS, they spent $20k-45k for a used LS, so yeah, a potentially $4,000 air suspension replacement is 10-20% of the cost of their car, so that's really significant.

You going to keep that GL550 out of the warranty? Must have a lot of disposable income lol.
Definitely agree about Comfort being too floaty. It isn't nauseating but enough rebounding that I don't want to keep it in Comfort. I put it in Sport+ yesterday with a buddy in the car because we were running late and trying to reach a restaurant before the lunch rush. The different suspension settings are subtle but I was surprised that he could were the changes too. He said he could feel the body just tighten up, yet it still maintains a comfortable ride on the freeway and around town in Sport+.

Steve, seeing as how your lease cars are perpetually under warranty, why did you not select one with the air suspension? Was it a big difference in lease costs? From what I've seen, the UL LSes typically have air.
Old 09-09-17, 05:35 PM
GregoryNP
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Bought a 2010 F Sport and love everything about it especially the body kit.

Old 09-09-17, 05:59 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by GregoryNP
Bought a 2010 F Sport and love everything about it especially the body kit.

https://youtu.be/SWIEQ9a57jw
NICE! Congratulations, Greg! From your response, you definitely made the right choice. Enjoy and many happy miles to you!
Old 09-10-17, 01:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Definitely agree about Comfort being too floaty. It isn't nauseating but enough rebounding that I don't want to keep it in Comfort. I put it in Sport+ yesterday with a buddy in the car because we were running late and trying to reach a restaurant before the lunch rush. The different suspension settings are subtle but I was surprised that he could were the changes too. He said he could feel the body just tighten up, yet it still maintains a comfortable ride on the freeway and around town in Sport+.

Steve, seeing as how your lease cars are perpetually under warranty, why did you not select one with the air suspension? Was it a big difference in lease costs? From what I've seen, the UL LSes typically have air.
The main reason is because they are extremely rare in my region. You can't even get LWB LSs here new with the air suspension, I'd have to go down to NC, TN, SC etc and get a RWD car to get one, and even then they are impossible to find SWB.

The other reason is on is that I very well may keep my LS, and long term I wanted the coil springs.